Home Main Category General Firearms

Any guesses as to what this belongs to?

GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
Found it about 10 feel in front of the firing line at the range.  Obviously catastrophic failure...  but of what?  

Any ideas as to what pistol this belongs to?

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Merrritt Island, FLPosts: 25,219 Senior Member
    Wow. Looks like pot metal.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    edited March 2020 #3
    It looks like a weighted muzzle piece for a competition 1911 race gun?

I found these in the mud at the range monday.

They were just so cute. I couldn't resist bringing them home.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    It's the front of a slide of a semiauto pistol that fatigued out and let go. I can't remember what pistol it was, but there's one out there that has that slide cracking problem at the front. That one definitely let go!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Colorado!Posts: 7,697 Senior Member
    Looks like a smith of some ilk 4506 ect....
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    Walther P-22 had that problem.

Also, my brother's Sig Sauer Mosquito suffered a complete failure in the same place. The metal did look like pot metal. It reminded me of those Hot Wheels pot metal.
    I'm guessing a small caliber pistol that just gave up the ghost like Mike said.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    There's a fairly newly introduced pistol (as in last couple of years) that had that problem early on. And for the life of me I can't find the article on it. Most cracked on only one side instead of completely letting go. And best I can remember, it wasn't a cheapo, but one from a high quality manufacturer.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,696 Senior Member
    Pretty sure it's a Lorcin.  Look up the various images - pretty close.

Not likely to be any kind of decent gun with a front sight cast as part of the slide.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Doesn't look or feel like pot metal.  Definitely a cast slide but heavy.  Is pot metal magnetic?  I think it’s too big for a Lorcin.  Seems like at least a .380.

GunNut said:
    Is pot metal magnetic?

Nope.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Pot metal is a zinc alloy. Some may be magnetic?  Some not?

Castings can fail. Since I've been reading and researching vintage autos, Ive discovered car companies had failures and successes with it.

Sintering is another metal forming process. From what I've read, it can make very strong components.
    Some measurements and it’s “slightly” magnetic if that makes any sense?

edited March 2020 #13
    Bigslug said:
    Pretty sure it's a Lorcin.  Look up the various images - pretty close.

Not likely to be any kind of decent gun with a front sight cast as part of the slide.
    Looked at some pics.  Forgot Lorcin makes a .380 so I think you’re right!

"Slightly Magnetic"? Maybe stainless. Stainlesses run the gamut from "very" magnetic to "not in the slightest" with everything in between.

)O(
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Central FLPosts: 2,122 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    "Slightly Magnetic"? Maybe stainless. Stainlesses run the gamut from "very" magnetic to "not in the slightest" with everything in between.

This is true, it depends on how much nickel was used.  The highest grade stainless is surgical grade and is not magnetic at all.
    Do you know what the "number" is for "surgical grade", just outta curiosity? I'm most familiar with 316 - we used a LOT of it at my old job.

)O(
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Swampland, FLAPosts: 5,100 Senior Member
    I have lots of hemostats, surgical clamps, etc, all are highly magnetic Im sure there made of 400 series stainless, most likely 420, or 440 a,b, or c

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    zorba said:
    Do you know what the "number" is for "surgical grade", just outta curiosity? I'm most familiar with 316 - we used a LOT of it at my old job.

316 is one of them that is considered (or at least promoted as) surgical grade.  A couple others are 440 and 420.
    We never touched 400 series - it would rust too easily. We had to treat 316 with a special process (Passivating and polishing), or it would rust too! Sea water is HIGHLY corrosive.

)O(
    zorba said:
    We never touched 400 series - it would rust too easily. We had to treat 316 with a special process (Passivating and polishing), or it would rust too! Sea water is HIGHLY corrosive.
    SCUBA diving knives are pretty much all made out of 316 or Titanium (better but more expensive).  I have a vintage 440 knife that takes a wicked edge but I have to take it apart and rinse it in fresh water as SOON as I get back from a dive.  If not by next day there is some surface freckling.
    For some reason I think most stainless guns are made out of 416, but don't ask where I picked up that tidbit of info.  I really don't remember.
    GunNut said:
    For some reason I think most stainless guns are made out of 416, but don't ask where I picked up that tidbit of info.  I really don't remember.
    That sounds abut right.

)O(
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    SCUBA diving knives are pretty much all made out of 316 or Titanium (better but more expensive).  I have a vintage 440 knife that takes a wicked edge but I have to take it apart and rinse it in fresh water as SOON as I get back from a dive.  If not by next day there is some surface freckling.
    We made lotsa stuff outa Titanium too, and there was some experimentation going on with carbon fiber instrument housings as well. Didn't know you were a SCUBA guy!

)O(
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    We made lotsa stuff outa Titanium too, and there was some experimentation going on with carbon fiber instrument housings as well. Didn't know you were a SCUBA guy!
    My whole life.  Island boy.  It’s in my blood.
    GunNut said:
    Alright, now you've gotta start a thread on your spear gun collection.  You like guns, you're a SCUBA guy, surely you have spear guns.....

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,750 Senior Member
    Got a dozen titanium arrow heads that were given to me by a wood bow buddy.  I never tried to sharpen them and wrap them on an arrow.  I heard they were difficult to sharpen but I haven't tried.  Very lightweight.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,556 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Alright, now you've gotta start a thread on your spear gun collection.  You like guns, you're a SCUBA guy, surely you have spear guns.....

I need to dig mine out. I have a vintage ScubaPro two band 36" gun.  Bought it new in San Pedro, Ca. back in 1989.

Thanks for the reminder
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Pics or I don't believe you.  😎