Home Main Category General Firearms

FAL range report!

Elk creekElk creek Senior MemberColorado!Posts: 7,717 Senior Member
First off I LOVE THIS RIFLE! I got to defy the “stay at home” order an take a trip to the range today! I didn’t have a ton of time so I just took the DS arms FAL and my Glock build. It was a beautiful early spring day, sunny, cool and breezy. Perfect. Well down to it. 

Before shooting I opened the gas system all the way. I put one round in the magazine and shot. As expected it didn’t lock the bolt back.  One more round and close the gas system another click. No joy, but almost. One more round and a click, bingo. The bolt was held open. I was using Federal 7.62 NATO 150 grain FMJ BPXM80CBL. Once I got the gas system regulated I started on groups. The first group was 2” low at 25. I screwed the front sight down to the bottom and bingo, just right. I jumped the gun a bit and took aim at a 10” steel plate at 100 yards and center punched it! I had 3 more rounds in that mag so I kept shooting g steel. 3-3! 

Next I tried some 170 grain .308 win from Geco. It’s German ammo made by RWS so what the heck right? I ran across 200 rounds of it for $0.44/round. I figured I couldn’t loose. It’s a bit hotter than the federal, but shoots much better. I put it on paper at 50 yards. (See photo) then shot steel the rest of the time at 100-150. I love this rifle! 

Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,565 Senior Member
    NICE
    You got yourself a all around good gun!!
    Ranges and everything but Grocery, Drug stores and Take away only restaurants are open.  Gas stations are selling gas only, no drinks or munchies
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    If you shot that 50 yard group at 100 with a low power scope, and weren't very happy. I'd say you're hard to please. Double that size at 100 with irons and I'd be grinning like a kid at Christmas.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Colorado!Posts: 7,717 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    NICE
    Ranges and everything but Grocery, Drug stores and Take away only restaurants are open.  Gas stations are selling gas only, no drinks or munchies
    Indoor ranges are closed by us. But that’s about it, some retail shops that don’t fit the really broad “essential business” definition are closed.  
    If you shot that 50 yard group at 100 with a low power scope, and weren't very happy. I'd say you're hard to please. Double that size at 100 with irons and I'd be grinning like a kid at Christmas.
    Oh I’m thrilled with the performance  of this rifle! Not one malfunction either. 
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,565 Senior Member
    Elk creek said:
    Diver43 said:
    NICE
    Indoor ranges are closed by us. But that’s about it, some retail shops that don’t fit the really broad “essential business” definition are closed.  
    No private ranges around here, guess I could maybe find a unchained road into the everglades as ALL ranges indoor and outdoor are closed.  But not the gun stores 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • North ForestNorth Forest Member Maple Falls, WA.Posts: 358 Member
    Excellent. There's just something about them. I know I love mine. Check out the early ones in wood! There are many variations from different origins to find interest in also.
    Diver43 said:
    Elk creek said:
    Diver43 said:
    NICE
    No private ranges around here, guess I could maybe find a unchained road into the everglades as ALL ranges indoor and outdoor are closed.  But not the gun stores 
    My range,  and all the others outdoor ranges,  are still open. It’s great. 
    Excellent. There's just something about them. I know I love mine. Check out the early ones in wood! There are many variations from different origins to find interest in also.
    Agreed! I have a browning catalog from 1964 and the FN FAL is in the back almost the last page. They call it the “browning FAL” and is stamped the same! Man that would be a cool fun to own! 
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    That’s a winner!!!!!  You thinking scope?
    GunNut said:
    I don’t know. I have a real 600 yard 308 setup now in a Remington 700.  I could scope it with the 1-4 or 2-7, but right now I’m loving the irons and the simplicity. I liked the irons before but love them after shooting them. Great sights. So I’m torn.... but it’s not a decision I need to make right now. 
    Elk creek said:
    GunNut said:
    I don’t know. I have a real 600 yard 308 setup now in a Remington 700.  I could scope it with the 1-4 or 2-7, but right now I’m loving the irons and the simplicity. I liked the irons before but love them after shooting them. Great sights. So I’m torn.... but it’s not a decision I need to make right now. 
    I’m torn.  A 1-4 setup would be cool.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,076 Senior Member
    I hate all you FAL owners. 🤬
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee said:
    🤣🥃
    Zee said:
    😘 
  • ojrojr Senior Member New ZealandPosts: 1,341 Senior Member
    Good stuff, these look very similar to our old SLR rifles, unobtanium anymore here thanks to our caring Govt however though never owned one I've fired a fair few. 
    The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.
    ojr said:
    Good stuff, these look very similar to our old SLR rifles, unobtanium anymore here thanks to our caring Govt however though never owned one I've fired a fair few. 
    This is a carbine version, with the 16” barrel. Man is it fun to shoot. A couple people said it was loud. I didn’t notice it being especially loud 
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Lima, PeruPosts: 2,986 Senior Member
    Cool rifle; great shooting!
    Elk creek said:
    ojr said:
    This is a carbine version, with the 16” barrel. Man is it fun to shoot. A couple people said it was loud. I didn’t notice it being especially loud 
    Oh I didn’t realize that.  Too cool!   Mine if the rifle length barrel.
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member OregonPosts: 1,526 Senior Member
    edited March 2020 #20
    I have one but its wearing a 22LR conversion kit.   i think someone said its an STG-58, but to me, no matter the name its cool.

They are cool and heavy toys, but with the adjustable gas system is cool.  Its interesting to note how some NEWER rifles are having that adjustable gas system added.

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Miami, FL almost in the USA ;)Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Nice, a two inch group at 50 yards with irons and mass produced ammo.  Winner!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    BigDanS said:
    Nice, a two inch group at 50 yards with irons and mass produced ammo.  Winner!

D
    Thanks Dan! I would imagine I can shrink that when I find some ammo it prefers. I’m thrilled with the results so far!