Your most usefull chambering?

LinefinderLinefinder ModeratorPosts: 6,113 Senior Member
No questions why. Mine's the 6mm Rem.

Mike
"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
N454casull

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 5,945 Senior Member
    The one Ive used the most in my lifetime is 22lr.. Bar none.

Ive got some comfort from handgun, shotgun, and rifle cartridges during times I would have otherwise felt vulnerable. But Ive never had to actually use them for the purpose the were being put to.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,873 Senior Member
    .30-06 & .357 Magnum.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,130 Senior Member
    .223  Rem and 9mm Par
    Can defend and get food
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 1,872 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    .30-06 & .357 Magnum.

There is not much that combination can't do.....except maybe bring home squirrel for dinner.  Wouldn't be much squirrel left to dine on with a hit from either one.
    I think if I had to pick only one......12 gauge.  With the  vast selection of load choices available it can be used for anything from home/self defense to bird and squirrel hunting and with the proper load out and short enough range is capable of bringing down any game in North America.  That was reinforced to me yesterday when I used the VEPR to hunt paper targets with slugs.  A projectile the same diameter as your thumb will leave a mark on anything it hits.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,288 Senior Member
    Can’t narrow it down too far, that’s why there are so many😉
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 10,691 Senior Member
    22LR
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,113 Senior Member
    I think if I had to pick only one......12 gauge.  With the  vast selection of load choices available it can be used for anything from home/self defense to bird and squirrel hunting and with the proper load out and short enough range is capable of bringing down any game in North America.  That was reinforced to me yesterday when I used the VEPR to hunt paper targets with slugs.  A projectile the same diameter as your thumb will leave a mark on anything it hits.
    Hard to disagree with that. Unless your target's 300 yards away.

Mike
    N454casull
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,182 Senior Member
    .223 and .45 ACP...is what I shoot most of nowadays...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Hard to disagree with that. Unless your target's 300 yards away.

Mike

If you can't get closer than 300 yards.....stalking ain't your thing.  :D  But then I can't see much past 300 yards anyway.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,113 Senior Member
    300 yards in Colorado is close.  ;)

Mike
    N454casull
    300 yards in Florida is out of sight.  Might as well be in the next county.  :D
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 22,892 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    .30-06 & .357 Magnum.

There is not much that combination can't do.....except maybe bring home squirrel for dinner.  Wouldn't be much squirrel left to dine on with a hit from either one.
    I’ve shot squirrels with a .30-06 before. Just shoot them in the head. 

It was a slow day deer hunting. 😒
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 22,892 Senior Member
    edited March 30 #15
    .308 Winchester

Next would be .223 Remington

I’ve done a lot of things with those two cartridges. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,130 Senior Member
    300 yards in Florida is out of sight.  Might as well be in the next county.  :D
    Very TRUE
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,744 Senior Member
    Guess I will have to go with the 12 ga. or 22lr. Put more meat on the table with those 2 than anything else I own.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,743 Senior Member
    edited March 30 #18
    .308 Winchester.

.223/5.56 is a distant second

.270 is for losers.  Discuss
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,022 Senior Member
    For me in New Zealand, first a  6.5x55 in a modern action, second a 223 with a 1-7 or 8 twist.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,873 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    .30-06 & .357 Magnum.

.357 is just a .38 Special with an extra 0.10" of brass, so all them super light wadcutter loads - still an option.

The '06 can be dialed waaaaaay back - some guys even tweaking it to shoot a 00 buck pellet with tiny charges.  At least one 'net vid of a single sheet of nitrocellulose magician's flash paper being used as the propellant for such a thing.

I am in the earliest stages of investigating the .375 H&H's qualities in this discussion.  Report to follow soon. ;)
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,022 Senior Member
    Well you could include the 9.3x62 in your investigation Bigslug, possibly not the same range and I haven't yet shot a rabbit with mine so not sure of it's meat saving ability on a 5lb animal but it is certainly ok on a fallow deer.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 801 Senior Member
    .22 LR, 12 gauge and 38 special. The .38's are Partizan LRN out of a 16" Rossi for pigs.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,957 Senior Member
    222. Shot everything from mice & rats to wild cattle with it. Close second is the 204 which has taken very small critturs up to a mature red deer......
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,650 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Bigslug said:
    .30-06 & .357 Magnum.

I’ve shot squirrels with a .30-06 before. Just shoot them in the head. 

It was a slow day deer hunting. 😒

There is a technique known as barking. Back in the ML days folks would shoot the limb under the squirrel and the concussion would kill it without destroying the meat. I thought this was hog wash until one day in the woods a squirrel was harassing me and wouldn't stop. I decided to scare him away with a shot from my 357. I took aim at the branch under him and pulled the trigger. I hit right under him,  he jumped to the trunk of the tree stood there 10 seconds them fell over dead! Not mark on him.

Now to answer the question:22lr, 30-06, 44 mag and 12 gauge. Ya just can't play golf with one club.

I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 3,798 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    Bigslug said:
    .30-06 & .357 Magnum.

.357 is just a .38 Special with an extra 0.10" of brass, so all them super light wadcutter loads - still an option.

The '06 can be dialed waaaaaay back - some guys even tweaking it to shoot a 00 buck pellet with tiny charges.  At least one 'net vid of a single sheet of nitrocellulose magician's flash paper being used as the propellant for such a thing.

I am in the earliest stages of investigating the .375 H&H's qualities in this discussion.  Report to follow soon. ;)
    I used to load single lead balls with a small charge of Unique for my Ruger Vaqueros.  It was a hoot, pretty accurate and the kids LOVED shooting the big cowboy guns.  It probably would have been a good small game load.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,350 Senior Member
    For me, it's the .22 LR.  I download most CF rifles that I can because I don't hunt and don't compete and I dislike recoil, but the most useful CF round is one I don't have to download to enjoy: the .223.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,577 Senior Member
    .22LR by far.

Here shooting ranges are few and mostly for handgun use; ammo is expensive, usually twice the US price, and since I like to shoot as lot as possible, this round is the most reasonable choice.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,405 Senior Member
    Most of what I use firearms for is big game hunting, or at least it used to be that way.  I have done quite a bit of hunting for elk, deer and proghorn.  I've sworn off elk hunting simply because it's too damn much work, and quit hunting prairie goats a while back because my wife doesn't like eating or cooking them.  Still, I will make my choice based on game animals ranging in size from antelope to elk.

For that, my 7 mm Remington Magnum is by far the most useful.  I've taken all three of the animals mentioned above with this round.  If I travel anywhere to hunt, I take it.  But, I don't recall the last time I actually shot anything with it.  I think the last time I carried it in the field was 2011, and that was a couple of days AFTER I killed the elk in my avatar with another rifle.  I haul it along as a sure fire backup rifle.

It allows me to use one of my pet rifles, such as .243, .284, ..338x.284 or .358.  I just like using those, but it's nice to know I have good ol' reliable to fall back on if problems arise.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    22 LR or 12 ga.......or 416 Rigby
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • Lonewolf-PeruLonewolf-Peru Member Posts: 385 Member
    22 l.r and 9mm
    If you are going to bark squirrels with a 416 Rigby you better aim for the next tree over.  Hit the branch under the squirrel and you will launch fuzzy tailed rat goo into low earth orbit.  :D

But you made me look it up....I think I am in love!  😍