Home Main Category General Firearms

Your first "deer rifle"...What was it?

2»

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Yep, Glenfield was (is?) Marlin’s big box store brand name sold by many different retailers including K-Mart where I bought my first “gun”, a Glenfield 25 .22lr rifle that I flat out wore out.

My son's.

Too cool!  I found a replacement for mine on GB a couple of years ago.  It's sitting in my gun cabinet right now, and those damn little Glenfields all shoot well above their pay grade.  I paid $65 for mine in 1980.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Western PAPosts: 8,233 Senior Member
    this will sound familiar

Win 32 spl mod 94. Never got a deer in front of it and then it was stolen while I was in the service.
    I replaced it a couple years ago just because I had never gotten a deer in front of it, with a 49/94 that needed a little love.

Took that issue off the list of things I wanted to do
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • bklysenbklysen Member Posts: 520 Senior Member
    A Winchester 94, in 30-30. Likely the way a zillion other hunters began. 
    No optics, as where I hunted (northern Wisc.) is pretty heavily forested. 50-75 yard shots were common, some shorter than that.

One thing I learned the hard way - your shoulder will really know it when caught between that steel butt plate and the tree trunk your back is set against if you sit a ground stand, on your rear end. 

Preaching to the choir here, I'm guessing….
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    I'm slightly shocked at how many folks started with lever actions but I guess I shouldn't be. I have a newly rekindled love affair with them and as soon as I get back to hunting some of them will get bloodied. 
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Remington Model 14 in .35 Rem. that belonged to my Grandpa, and I still have it. I love that rifle. For hunting here in East TN it's a good one.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    Marlin 336 .30/30  cost $50 like new.
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,908 Senior Member
    Marlin 336 - Paid $50.00 for it and a box of 30-30 minus 4 rounds.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Northland, New ZealandPosts: 954 Senior Member
    Savage 99 in .308, paid around $500 USD for it nearly 12 years ago, still have it, still my go to.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,753 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    I'm slightly shocked at how many folks started with lever actions but I guess I shouldn't be. I have a newly rekindled love affair with them and as soon as I get back to hunting some of them will get bloodied. 
    My first center fire rifle was a Winchester model 94 30-30 but I never did hunt with it. Think I was 18. Didn’t hunt big game until I was about 23 and the wife gave me the 30-06 the Christmas before. Still have both.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member South DakotaPosts: 2,040 Senior Member
    Sporterized 03 Springfield, age 29, late starter
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Colorado SpringsPosts: 7,821 Senior Member
    Funny thing....a 94 Win in .30-30  was comfortable to shoot. A .32 Win Spl, with almost identical ballistics...not so much.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 655 Senior Member
    Mine was a Remington 722? in 300 Savage I killed my first 2 deer with it then started collecting other deer rifles now I use a gun til I shoot a buck then retire it to try a new one a 30-30, a 30-06, a 300 Mag., a25-06, a 6.5 Creedmoor, and a 7mm Mag.I was in a store one day I took the Girlfriend shopping and was in the sporting goods department when she came up and asked why I was looking at guns when I just bought a new one I told here that since I shot a buck with that gun that it was bad luck to use it again and she bought it hook line and sinker
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member J&D Ranch - North Central TXPosts: 2,548 Senior Member
    edited April 2020 #44
    Win Model 94 30-30, got one doe with it the first year my pop gave it to me. 

Mike,

I know in the past we've discussed this a time or two.  My pops first deer rifle was Win 94 32 win special.  After he passed away it was in such bad shape after sitting in an attic for 20 plus years without a case (completely rusted all over).  I had it totally restored and it is just beautiful!  I don't have my 30-30 any longer but I still cherish my pops 32 win to this day and still hunt with it on occasions!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Podunk, Tx.Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    gunner81 said:
    Mine was a Remington 722? in 300 Savage I killed my first 2 deer with it then started collecting other deer rifles now I use a gun til I shoot a buck then retire it to try a new one a 30-30, a 30-06, a 300 Mag., a25-06, a 6.5 Creedmoor, and a 7mm Mag.I was in a store one day I took the Girlfriend shopping and was in the sporting goods department when she came up and asked why I was looking at guns when I just bought a new one I told here that since I shot a buck with that gun that it was bad luck to use it again and she bought it hook line and sinker
    I hope you married that girl.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 620 Senior Member

Marlin 336C chambered in 30/30. Never had a deer run very far after hitting it, but the first year I hunted in West by God Virginia I learned it is better to wait until they are facing uphill before taking the shot.  Might not run very far but they sure can fall a long way...

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member North DakotaPosts: 2,985 Senior Member
    Winchester 94 in 1970.
    GunNut said:

Back in the day animals didnt wear body armor, a 35 yard shot was pretty common and optics were not necessary. Folks didnt complain about predatory lenders and had one adequate rifle to cover deer and bear. Unlike now when every whitetail has ballistic plates that you have to punch through with the latest gun rag cover model, everyone needs to be prepared for 500 yard shots, and even sunlight has changed so that a minimum of a 9x scope is needed to hit a 6 inch circle at 35 yards.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Podunk, Tx.Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    GunNut said:

Back in the day animals didnt wear body armor, a 35 yard shot was pretty common and optics were not necessary. Folks didnt complain about predatory lenders and had one adequate rifle to cover deer and bear. Unlike now when every whitetail has ballistic plates that you have to punch through with the latest gun rag cover model, everyone needs to be prepared for 500 yard shots, and even sunlight has changed so that a minimum of a 9x scope is needed to hit a 6 inch circle at 35 yards.
    Not everyone grew up hunting heavy timber.  I grew up hunting wide open spaces where 150-200 yards was more the norm, and 300 yards or further was not unheard of.  A model 94 30-30 would be as out of place there as a scoped 300 Winchester Magnum would be where you grew up hunting.

Scoped 30-06s and .270s were very common.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    edited April 2020 #50
    Still, a mod open sight 94 is good for 70+ % of the country. Which is why a lot of people grew up with one. By the time I was hunting, there were a lot of scoped bolt guns being used, but most folks had a levergun around because that is what they had. The kid got what was available and Dad got the nice rifle.

• kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,911 Senior Member
    There weren't any deer around here when I was younger and I never went deer hunting until I was older. I bought an elk gun which became my deer rifle because it was all I had. Howa 300 mag with a Nikon monarch, which cost more than the rifle. A few years ago I bought a boyd's walnut stock and bedded and pillared it. It's not one I would part with.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Central FLPosts: 2,122 Senior Member
    There weren't any deer around here when I was younger and I never went deer hunting until I was older. I bought an elk gun which became my deer rifle because it was all I had. Howa 300 mag with a Nikon monarch, which cost more than the rifle. A few years ago I bought a boyd's walnut stock and bedded and pillared it. It's not one I would part with.

Pics?  I would like to see that one.