Home Main Category General Firearms

Your first handgun?

GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
Mine was a Beretta Jetfire in .25 acp.  I was young and living/working in downtown New Orleans and was working a lot of late nights.  

I needed something I could just slip in my pocket because no firearms were allowed at work.  

I can tell you waiting for the street car to come by at 1:00am by myself, the butt of that little gun in my hand in my pocket was pretty darn comforting.

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    Iver Johnson top break .32 S%W long.

Wanted a .22 lr revolver

Grandpa got this cheap from the estate of a Milwaukee Policeman
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Texas as soon as I can get there.Posts: 1,628 Senior Member
    Glock 23 after I finished school.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,060 Senior Member
    Gifted by my father when I was a young teen, a Ruger Single Six Convertible

Still have that one. 

First I ever bought myself was a Taurus PT92 Stainless.

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Colorado!Posts: 7,699 Senior Member
    edited April 2020 #5
    Dad gave me his retired duty weapon a Ruger Security six in 357 when I graduated from high school.  It’s still with me, will be my nephews when the time is right. 

First handgun I bought was a cap and ball Remington 1858. Great guns wish I kept it. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Eupora, MSPosts: 2,814 Senior Member
    An Fie .22 single action from Otasco. It was a Christmas gift from my parents when I was in high school. 

I honestly can't remember what the 1st handgun I purchased was. I think it was a Colt Delta Elite.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Lima, PeruPosts: 2,986 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Mine was a Beretta Jetfire in .25 acp.  I was young and living/working in downtown New Orleans and was working a lot of late nights.  

I needed something I could just slip in my pocket because no firearms were allowed at work.  

I can tell you waiting for the street car to come by at 1:00am by myself, the butt of that little gun in my hand in my pocket was pretty darn comforting.
    Wow....mine was a Taurus PT-52, the Brazilian-made copy of your Jetfire!
    A gift from Dad when I turned 14 but wasn't allowed to carry it until legally allowed (18). 

Ended up surrendering it for destruction to the local "BATF" since a manufacturing flaw made it break the firing pin after a few shots, no matter if dry-firing was avoided. Should have demilled it and keep it.....too late.
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Northwest OhioPosts: 1,150 Senior Member
    Do cap guns count???  Mine was a Ruger Mk 1.  I had it for a bunch of years but it got traded off for something else that I wanted at the time.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,280 Senior Member
    The first handgun I ever used was my Step-Dad's High Standard Supermatic....shot lots of sitting Jackrabbits with that...25 cent bounty down at the Feed and Grain...

The first handgun I ever bought was, (what else?)  a Remington Rand 1911A1 , marked U.S. Property, for $75.00 at the Marine Gun Shop in Battle Creek MI...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,601 Senior Member
    Kit New army 44  cap & ball BP revolver. My son has it now. My first modern hand gun is a Ruger MK II heavy barrel. I still have it and its my favorite. 

At th time I would go to my BILs cabin and shoot with his idiot friends. They were shooting SKSs, Mini 14, and so on. I had a 514 Remington single shot 22 and could out shoot them. I bought a 10/22 with 5 20 round mags.Then they got into pistols. Makorov, Bersa, some 1911s. My cap and ball revolver was ok but... I bought the Ruger. After that I could out shoot them and shoot longer each round because I had more mags and higher cap mags. After a couple hours they started counting how much money they'd spent on ammo. This broke butt had spent $15 on a brick and was reaching for another. :)
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,754 Senior Member
    .44 cap and ball was my first ever hand gun. Carried it on backpacking trips into the Montana wilderness many times before I could legally own a handgun.
    first modern handgun was a Ruger Blackhawk .357 Mag given to me by my bride as a wedding gift. Still have that one of course!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,556 Senior Member
    Mine was an Arminius .357 Mag.  Not one that I would be proud of today, but it was a blast to shoot when I was a young man.  Being a young Soldier it was all I could afford.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member South DakotaPosts: 2,040 Senior Member
    I shot my dads High Standard 9 for many years, bought a 44 Navy cap and ball in early 90’s, and lately a Springfield Armory 1911.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,750 Senior Member
    edited April 2020 #14
    I think it was a CZvz27. In 1968.  I was home on leave from Ft. Carson when MLK was assassinated and I had to drive to Colorado from GA right through Memphis only a few days after.  Went to my LGS and that's the only thing I could afford.  He threw in  a magazine of .32s since I couldn't afford any more. I optimistically loaded it up and drove to Colorado, no problems at all.  Memphis was quiet when I drove through there.  Got to Ft. Carson and a while later got a box of ammo to practice marksmanship.  It was only then I found out the firing pin was broken and it wouldn't shoot at all.  Had to get a firing pin MADE by a smith in Colorado Springs, as back in the day there were no parts available for a Commie pistol. The FP probably cost more than the pistol, can't remember, but sold it and got a Browning 1910 (already had a box of ammo) which I kept until 1971.  
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Mine was Ruger 3 screw 357 mag 6" or 6.5" barrel. Whatever they came with. Got it in my early twenties. No one I knew had handguns when I learned to shoot as a kid. Had kind of a mentor when I bought it. He got me interested in handguns, but he weren't much of a shot with them. Old guy at the range gave me some pointers. Nice guy. 
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Merrritt Island, FLPosts: 25,219 Senior Member
    I inherited my dad's .357 Security Six 4" when he passed through the veil. Didn't shoot it for a couple of years, until I decided to "get serious" about firearms. First one I actually purchased was my 1940 Luger, swiftly followed by a Ruger Mark III.
    Oh, I forgot, I also inherited my father's Beretta Tomcat - a horrid little gun...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 620 Senior Member
    1st handgun: Smith&Wesson 629 with 8 3/8" barrel.  37 years ago.  Still remember the look on my best friend's face when I opened my jacket to show him my shoulder rig after he had stated that his Ruger .44 with a 7 1/2" barrel was too big to ever carry concealed. 😲
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
    Welcome!
    Another “First” I wish I had. 

My first centerfire handgun was a blued 10.5” Ruger SBH in .44 Mag. my father got me when I was a kid. 
    I took my first handgun deer with that gun at age 16. I wish I could find the picture. 
    I sold the gun to a buddy in my early 20s. Bad decision. Wish I still had that gun. 
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 1,388 Senior Member
    Wish I still had that gun. 

You do have one like it IIRC

My first was a S&W 617
    6" barrel came with the new then combat grips.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Central FLPosts: 2,122 Senior Member
    A few years back, before my wife was into guns and when my entire arsenal consisted of a lonely Marlin Model 60 I dragged my wife into a double date at the gun range with her best friend and her best friend's husband who had recently bought a Walther PPQ.  We had so much fun that we went pistol shopping and came home with a matched pair of S&W SD9VE's.  They turned out to be great low budget home/self defense pistols.  The internals are such a close copy of Glock that Glock sued S&W for patent infringement and won.  They have been utterly reliable and started everything rolling for us.....we now own 7 pistols between the two of us.  My only complaint is the trigger, but better aftermarket triggers are available.  We still own both of these pistols.

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Pensacola, FLPosts: 10,826 Senior Member
    Ruger P90. My brother has it now. 
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JKPJKP Senior Member North FloridaPosts: 2,677 Senior Member
    Glock model 22 (gen2, which was the first G22 if that makes sense). Still have it and still shoots great. Very likely the highest round count gun I own.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Panama City, Fl.Posts: 8,687 Senior Member
    Ruger SS6 .22/22 mag. I bought in 1972 when I got back from Viet Nam. I lusted for a Colt New Frontier for the whole year I was over there. When I went to the LGS to buy one it was way out of my price range, like $165 and I made $200 a month. He said look at the Ruger. It felt better in my hand and was $100 LESS! I still have it!
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Podunk, Tx.Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    That's an easy one.

It was a S&W M&P (Model 10?) .38 special I bought when I was a freshman in college.  The guy I bought it from got drunk while at home one night and touched off a few rounds in his front yard.  His dad made him sell it.  Or at least that's the story he told.  Looking back, it could have been some other reason. He was a good friend, but somewhat of a mess.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

You do have one like it IIRC

Oh yes. A dandy one at that!

Just would be nice to still have the one I took my first handgun deer with. 😢
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,696 Senior Member
    Colt Gold Cup.  Dad got tired of sharing his .45.  :D  
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,309 Senior Member
    Davis P-380.  One of the Zamak “ring of Fire” blowback crap guns of the late 80s-early 90s.  It was reliable, and surprisingly accurate.  Bought it from a guy at church for like $60 when I was 14 or 15 years old.

I shortly after upgraded to a Norinco 1911A1.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member North DakotaPosts: 2,985 Senior Member
    First hand gun was also first gun, Colt Frontier Scout.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,750 Senior Member
    Davis P-380.  One of the Zamak “ring of Fire” blowback crap guns of the late 80s-early 90s.  It was reliable, and surprisingly accurate.  Bought it from a guy at church for like $60 when I was 14 or 15 years old.

I shortly after upgraded to a Norinco 1911A1.
    That's  Giant Step.  Norincos are highly thought of
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Lonewolf-PeruLonewolf-Peru Member Lima, PeruPosts: 714 Senior Member
    My first handgun was a Crossman 5.5mm pump airgun. I used it until the Steel start cracking due to metal fatigue..