Home Main Category Hunting

Who else focuses on the rut?

FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior MemberPosts: 5,797 Senior Member
Up at our deer lease we're on the home stretch. We don't allow any does to be shot after the first of the year and now everyone is focusing on antlers. (eight points or better) We have one month of deer season left and we've had such a warm season that it's hard to pin down when the rut will happen. When it does, we usually have about a three day window where the big bucks throw caution to the wind and come out of the deep woods in search of the ladies. A couple of the "semi retired" guys spend the last two weeks of the season up at the camp in wait of the rut while the rest of us try to guess when to head up there. We've seen young bucks going through the motions and we've had quite a few showing up on cameras with broken antlers and missing tines. (we've got to work on nutrition also) We've also found numerous faux scrapes and a couple of real ones and now the forecast calls for a big cold front. I'll be headed up tonight or tomorrow morning and I don't know how long I'll stay up there. Pretty well most of the folks I know that hunt deer focus pretty heavily (almost obsess) on the rut. What about you folks?
snake284 wrote: »
For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Replies

• shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    I need every advantage possible to bag a wise, old, trophy buck.
    The rut is when the big old bucks tend to throw some caution to the wind and I doubt that some of my most successful techniques would have been productive if it had not been for the "rut". The various calls that I've used and especially rattling would probably just be a lot of "noise" in the timber if the bucks weren't in the rut.

So to the extent that it makes a tough job a little easier, it seems to be a strategy that tilts the odds a little more in my favor when trophy bucks are in the mix.

Just my 2 cents.

Joe
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,745 Senior Member
    In Colorado, the elk rut typically occurs in the last two weeks of September. The only seasons allowed at that time, except for Ranching for Wildlife hunts, are muzzle loading season and archery. So, if you want to hunt the elk rut around here it's tough to do with a center fire rifle. For that reason, I don't hunt the elk rut.

I'm still not sure when the mule deer rut occurs. I saw a buck with a swollen neck and some does in mid to late October this year, so perhaps that's typical. Guess I should figure this out.

Regardless, I don't usually try to hunt the rut, as the season structure here is somewhat confining as to when you can and cannot hunt.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,931 Senior Member
    If I live in an area that allows hunting while the rut is on, than yes, as jerry said above in Colo. you can "forgitaaboutit" with rifles.
    JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...same here, elk are pretty much done before rifle season, mule deer don't real get started to after it closes...
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,801 Senior Member
    Jerry I have heard everything from CDOW Bio's from Oct to the end of Dec. From what they said, and this includes elk too as they sometimes can rut up until 1st rifle, it is so heavily weather dependent you almost can't count on a season being in "season" here. I know the bucks I saw 3rd season in the 1st-2nd week of Nov had some really big heavy necks. But a friend posted some pics on Facebook the last few weeks of some really large mulies down in Parker with massive rut necks over the last 3-4 weeks or so.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,745 Senior Member
    Jerry I have heard everything from CDOW Bio's from Oct to the end of Dec. From what they said, and this includes elk too as they sometimes can rut up until 1st rifle, it is so heavily weather dependent you almost can't count on a season being in "season" here. I know the bucks I saw 3rd season in the 1st-2nd week of Nov had some really big heavy necks. But a friend posted some pics on Facebook the last few weeks of some really large mulies down in Parker with massive rut necks over the last 3-4 weeks or so.

No wonder I'm confused.

FWIW, my wife and I made a trip to Estes Park a few years ago in mid-October. There was still elk rutting activity going on. Lots of bugling, and big bulls running not quite as big bulls away from their harem. It was amazing to watch.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,931 Senior Member
    The buck i shot in the 2ed. Colo. season was not in rut, he may have been to old, about 175 lbs, his muzzle was all gray and the horns were 12-14" spikes.
    JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • U TU T Member Posts: 423 Member
    As far as I'm concerned, the rut occurs the same time every year. If it's colder, they're more active, otherwise, the does don't move around much, so neither do the bucks. Where I'm at, it's about the second week in Nov., and that means, if you're not a bow hunter, your not going to get to hunt the rut. Lot's of people think it's the weather that sets it off, but I've read that it has to do with the amount of daylight. I just know that it doesn't vary much around here!
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,569 Senior Member
    U T wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned, the rut occurs the same time every year. If it's colder, they're more active, otherwise, the does don't move around much, so neither do the bucks. Where I'm at, it's about the second week in Nov., and that means, if you're not a bow hunter, your not going to get to hunt the rut. Lot's of people think it's the weather that sets it off, but I've read that it has to do with the amount of daylight. I just know that it doesn't vary much around here!

You're lucky!
    I don't know what sets it off, or when, exactly it is. The last couple years have been all messed up, and I've pretty much missed it. Could be like you said, the weather didn't have the does moving much. Or, I missed it the last few years because I've been hunting tree lines and field edges, and all the activity was in the deep woods.

Yep, I try to key on the rut.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,702 Senior Member
    I misread "rut" as "nut" and this thread really confused me for a minute.

As far as focusing on the rut, most of my hunting is pre-rut because those are the times available to me.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • U TU T Member Posts: 423 Member
    http://www.bowhuntingmag.com/2011/07/13/timing-the-rut/ Here's an article that I just found, that explains it better than I did. It also explains why up north, the rut is more predictable than down south. I'm in Ohio, and I'm assuming that you're down south, since you're still waiting on the rut, and ours was in mid Nov.
    Tom
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,425 Senior Member
    I hunt various big game when those seasons are open. Most times I will catch antelope in the rut, but the season is over before the Mule deer rut.
    Archery elk will usually catch elk in the rut, but I have never shot a bull or cow with my handguns that was still in rut.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Up at our deer lease we're on the home stretch. We don't allow any does to be shot after the first of the year and now everyone is focusing on antlers. (eight points or better) We have one month of deer season left and we've had such a warm season that it's hard to pin down when the rut will happen. When it does, we usually have about a three day window where the big bucks throw caution to the wind and come out of the deep woods in search of the ladies. A couple of the "semi retired" guys spend the last two weeks of the season up at the camp in wait of the rut while the rest of us try to guess when to head up there. We've seen young bucks going through the motions and we've had quite a few showing up on cameras with broken antlers and missing tines. (we've got to work on nutrition also) We've also found numerous faux scrapes and a couple of real ones and now the forecast calls for a big cold front. I'll be headed up tonight or tomorrow morning and I don't know how long I'll stay up there. Pretty well most of the folks I know that hunt deer focus pretty heavily (almost obsess) on the rut. What about you folks?

Back when I had a deer lease, I hunted any time but I did focus on the rut. You'd have to be mindless not to if you wanted to shoot a nice buck. But since I don't have a lease and only get to hunt when asked as a guest or I get drawn for a State Hunt, I have to take what I'm given and do what I can. I remember some great hunts during ruts. It is the time to try for antlers that's for sure. Sure I'm human and wouldn't mind another one on the wall, but that's just going to have to happen on its own. All I really go for nowadays is meat, because we love it and it pays off. Antlers for me in this stage of life are a bonus and not something I plan the whole season around.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    Another point worh making is around here it's hard to concentrate on the rut because nobody can tell you when exactly it is. I remember hunting when I would all of a sudden see bucks running out of nowhere in the middle of the day. This I know was rut, but I had no clue when it began or what triggered it. It does correspond with cooler weather, somewhat like the flounder run down here. The height of the flounder run is usually sometime in November, depending on the weather or moon or whatever all the factors are, which the Parks and Wildlife has so graciously made off limits to flounder gigging. But they don't know that I always did about as well in October. Don't tell em that or they'll cut that out too.

But seriously, the rut doesn't have an exact time of year. When whatever triggers it does, they go into rut. I think the idea of spending late November, Early December at deer camp (If I had one) would be a great idea. Then the first day you saw big bucks walking out at all times of day, you would pretty well know the rut had begun.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Well we're getting closer but it hasn't started full blown yet. The cold snap didn't last long and the bucks are starting to get eager but the does aren't in estrus yet. I watched two does in a greenfield on Sunday afternoon and this guy walked out to bother them. My freezer is officially full although I would still shoot something that I would mount. I'm going to try a euro mount with him rather than just nail his rack to outside of the cabin. Before I forget, that's a Remington 700 classic in .35whelen. I've taken two deer with it so far this year throwing some 200gr corelocks.

1st2011buck001.jpg
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,569 Senior Member
    Good deal, bro. Nice deer, nice shot, nice rifle.

I've done a few euro mounts, they turned out good. Cheap. Sally Beauty supply has everything you need. Seriously.