Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Well, it's down to Biden v. Trump

2»

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    That's why I compared the inevitable future spin to a hurricane. In a society already inclined towards politicizing eveything including the community pis trench. A pandemic during an election years is a cyclone machine. Every single thing done, undone, neglected, or even thought about can get spun back and forth until the debris is a pandemic.
  • DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 776 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Don't forget that BIden has already promised he will pick a woman as his running mate.
    My prediction is that Biden will pick Michael, er, ah, Michelle Obama. 
    My prediction is that Cuomo will pick Michelle as his VP and get Obama’s blessing and endorsement.
    You're probably correct on that prediction. The democrats know they are screwed with Biden, and with the thought of Ginsberg retiring, among other key issues, I think in the next month, Biden, with some "closed-door motivation," will make a major announcement proclaiming his health and age "isn't good for the great people of America" and that Cuomo will become the nominee and indeed pick Michelle as his VP pick. On the other hand, Obama and his failed policies was the reason Trump got elected in the first place. 
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,811 Senior Member
    FWIW, Karl Rove was on Hannity last night.  He laughed at the notion of anyone but Biden being the dem nominee.  No doubt he knows tons more about the inner workings of the political parties than I ever care to know.
    Article on The Hill
    October 23rd 2016:

Republican strategist Karl Rove on Sunday said he doesn't expect Donald Trump to win the presidential election.

"I don't see it happening," Rove said on "Fox News Sunday."

If the GOP nominee "plays an inside straight, he could get it, but I doubt that he's going to be able to play it," Rove added. 

Trump appears to be able to secure 186 electoral votes when counting the states where he is leading outside of the polling margin of error or is "thought comfortably put away," Rove said.“

“"I doubt that in the just over two weeks that we've got left, conducting the kind of campaign that he is conducting," Rove said, "that he's going to be able to swing one out of every, you know, 10 voters, one out of every 12 voters, one out of every 15 voters and one out of every six voters in a state, and convert them."

Trump is polling behind Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton by 5.6 points, according to the RealClearPolitics average of polls. He is also trailing his Democratic rival in several battleground states.”

Soooooo... His crystal ball ain’t that good.  By October I KNEW Trump would win in 2016.

The last election was lost by politicians and was won by marketing and business guys, so will the next one.  That’s why I feel like I finally understand what’s going on.  Karl is a washed out political hack and does not understand how the new political landscape is operating.  

The Democratic Party is in panic mode and will do whatever it takes to gain an advantage, rules be dammed.  Cuomo is a better product but his shelf life has always been short because there is nothing under the label.  He would never survive a long and hard fought campaign because he’s is DULL and quite frankly not very bright.  Trump would destroy him on debates and strategy.  But as a last minute candidate with total appeal predicated on emotion?  Well hell you can make anyone look good for 15 minutes.

Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 328 Member
    On the other hand, Obama and his failed policies was the reason Trump got elected in the first place. 

'A' reason perhaps, but methinks, not fully 'THE' reason.  The woman standing in front of the 'Hillary Country' banner would also, perhaps, be another contributing factor...

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    The Democratic Party is in panic mode and will do whatever it takes to gain an advantage, rules be dammed.  Cuomo is a better product but his shelf life has always been short because there is nothing under the label.  He would never survive a long and hard fought campaign because he’s is DULL and quite frankly not very bright.  Trump would destroy him on debates and strategy.  But as a last minute candidate with total appeal predicated on emotion?  Well hell you can make anyone look good for 15 minutes.
    So are we all in sad agreement that over half the American people really ARE that stupid?

Maybe that should be the Trump campaign slogan: "Biden / Cuomo / M.Obama / Harris / Hillary (again)  - are you REALLY that stupid?"
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,953 Senior Member
    Alec Baldwin thinks that anyone who votes for Trump is mentally ill, so why not?  I guess I'm not only deplorable, but mentally ill.

Oh well...
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    All I know is Im stealing orange man bad as my new fall back position for all future discourse. :D
    Bigslug said:
    GunNut said:
    So are we all in sad agreement that over half the American people really ARE that stupid?

Maybe that should be the Trump campaign slogan: "Biden / Cuomo / M.Obama / Harris / Hillary (again)  - are you REALLY that stupid?"
    Not necessarily stupid.  We have all just become so solely focused on OUR OWN needs and OUR OWN perception  and OUR OWN priorities that we forget that it is impossible to run a country of 330,000,000 people and make EVERYONE happy.  Compromise is essential and "progress" inevitable.

We have also given up on respecting differences of opinion and also on "the bigger picture".  We expect our candidates to do EXACTLY what we (and that means I) want them to do without room for compromise, OR ELSE!!!  And many have decided to cut their noses to spite their face all the time.  Republicans do it a hell of a lot more than Democrats in my opinion.  Paul Ryan was the poster child for this **** attitude.

I have resigned myself to the fact that many things that I do not support or even agree with are a fact of life because the majority of The People want them so I can not make the world work my way any more that I can make the ocean tide do a 180 and go back out to the sea at my will.  I no longer have a strong view on many issues that I felt strongly about before, specially the social ones.  

For example, I have enough gay people in my family and life that I now know that the old definition of "married" might as well be dead.  Not my choice but there it is and there is no amount of fighting in my part that will change that.  And that's Ok, my kids expose tradition but they do not even understand that this was ever an issue worth fighting for.  Progress.

Trump, for good or bad, is a master negotiator and finds out ways to compromise that will give the opposition a taste of victory without throwing away the bulk of the issue their way (bump stocks).  BUT there is a radical element in every party that rejects even a slight negotiation or compromise as just pure evil and worthy of tar and feathering followed by a swift hanging.  That is happening on both sides and unfortunately that is the segment of the parties that seems to continue to grow.  We will see the Left segment in action during the 2020 election if the Bern is cut lose and ignored...  But yes, on the left they keep running the same script over and over again.  Hell we did that for years with the Bush Dynasty wanting to be Reagan light...

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

All I know is Im stealing orange man bad as my new fall back position for all future discourse. :D
    No! No! No!  You have to stay in keeping with the zombie apocalypse thread:

It's "Orange man. . .baaaaaaad".  Hissing and drooling when you say it is optional.  :D
    WWJMBD?

• Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 328 Member
    GunNut said:
    But yes, on the left they keep running the same script over and over again.  Hell we did that for years with the Bush Dynasty wanting to be Reagan light...

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
  • DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 776 Senior Member
    Some_Mook said:
    On the other hand, Obama and his failed policies was the reason Trump got elected in the first place. 

'A' reason perhaps, but methinks, not fully 'THE' reason.  The woman standing in front of the 'Hillary Country' banner would also, perhaps, be another contributing factor...

Correctamundo! 
    Some_Mook said:
    GunNut said:
    But yes, on the left they keep running the same script over and over again.  Hell we did that for years with the Bush Dynasty wanting to be Reagan light...

The one and ONLY!!!

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    <SNIP for bandwidth>
    Trump, for good or bad, is a master negotiator and finds out ways to compromise that will give the opposition a taste of victory without throwing away the bulk of the issue their way (bump stocks).  BUT there is a radical element in every party that rejects even a slight negotiation or compromise as just pure evil and worthy of tar and feathering followed by a swift hanging.  That is happening on both sides and unfortunately that is the segment of the parties that seems to continue to grow.  We will see the Left segment in action during the 2020 election if the Bern is cut lose and ignored...  But yes, on the left they keep running the same script over and over again.  Hell we did that for years with the Bush Dynasty wanting to be Reagan light...

Agree with much of this post, and don't pretend to know enough to agree or otherwise for the rest! The part I bolded above is key - we continue to become further polarized as time goes on. Neither side has even the vaguest interest in listening to the other, both want to smash everything/everyone not in 100% agreement with their "package deal".
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    My wife thinks we are all nuts.  If Trump gets us out of this Pandemic and the economy is coming on strong it doesn't matter who Trump will win no matter who Biden runs with.

If things are still like we are now, it doesn't matter, Biden will win.
    FYI wife does not like Trump at all.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    At least for now. The stay home policy seems to be an irrefutable success. If economic recovery can be planted hard enough, I don't think anyone can spin a case against Trump that sells. Any anti-sentiment will be from those already inclined. In other words, unless someone steps on a mine, I think the lines of division will remain unchanged with no significant converts.
    Diver43 said:
    My wife thinks we are all nuts.  If Trump gets us out of this Pandemic and the economy is coming on strong it doesn't matter who Trump will win no matter who Biden runs with.

Maybe.  It's worth remembering that FDR did not manage to get us out of the Great Depression, and yet. . .THREE TERMS????

Only the truly hyper-partisan will be able to convince themselves that everything to do with this COVID-19 drama is the fault of a politician, or that a simple change of politicians will be a magic wand to wind life back to what it was in February.

There is much about this current plague situation that Trump can point at and say 'See!  This is what I've been talking about since before I was elected.  Borders are good.  Globalism is bad. Hyper-reliance on foreign goods is bad.  This was a problem before I got here, and all you've done since Inauguration Day is obstruct me."  Some of the major Dem flag waving points have taken some large torpedoes below the waterline.  You can argue the economics all you want, but their methods have gotten people killed.

When you get to this extremity, it's suddenly not ALL about the economy.  We just had a hard wake up call on the subject of national security as it applies to personal physical security, and the long-standing Democratic platforms do not view well in that context.

The Democratic candidates are going to have to do some MAJOR pivoting on this topic for broad-based appeal, which will probably have them agreeing with a number of classically Republican points.  However. . .if you cast your memory back about six months to the early days of the Democratic debates, any of their candidates that sounded the least little bit conservative got immediately shunned like, well, like they had COVID-19.  That pivot is going to leave a lot of their faithful feeling a bit queasy and abandoned.  If they don't do that pivot, the "woke" won't have anything to do with them.

As I say, it's fun watching them squirm.

WWJMBD?

I'd also add that Trump has probably scored MAJOR points in letting the Governors run their respective local shows with Federal assistance provided where necessary.

Anybody believe for a second that Slick Willie, Obama, or Hillary would not have immediately nationalized this entire mess?
    WWJMBD?

Diver43 said:

At this point this is not about winning.  It’s about not letting Trump get a clean sweep of the board and have the Democratic Party suffer the most humiliating defeat in history.  If Biden is the candidate Bernie’s guys will probably sit this in protest, and the center will look at Trump as a “why not” candidate and better than the opposition.  That leaves the hardcore, some minorities and the old guard Democrats to vote for Biden.  That’s not enough to score anyone outside of the Northeast and the West coast.

Even if Cuomo loses, and he most probably will, they’ll get Bernie and AOC to endorse him because he will promise to forward his agenda and cushy jobs for them, and he’ll get enough of the extreme left vote to make it an actual fight.  It will also get Cuomo out of rotation because they gave him “his shot”, and they can all go home with their heads held high.

edited April 11 #50
    And Cuomo on stage for a debate will not make the entire world go ****, which is basically the point Mr. Slug so eloquently made before.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    Wife thinks my favorite gal, Kamala Harris, is going to be on the VP ticket.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    zorba said:
    I think she is too controversial and has very limited popular appeal.  But again the party might let her punch the ticket to get her out of the way.

GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    I think she is too controversial and has very limited popular appeal.  But again the party might let her punch the ticket to get her out of the way.
    An interesting way to look at it, as it's kind of weird to think of the party of "CHANGE NOW!" contemplating a long game.

Another thing to contemplate is the math of picking from among the primary candidates:

A ticket consisting of obviously senile + performed horribly in primaries  = ummmm. . .victory?

I'm trying hard not to count my chickens here, but I'm not sure they even have a path to loosing gracefully.

Zorba - I second your barfing penguin sentiment.

And someone unrelated, maybe we should adopt "No Country For Old Communists" as a campaign slogan. . .
    WWJMBD?

I don’t want he new ones either 🤣