Home Main Category Personal Defense

pros and cons of red dot on edc

2»

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,203 Senior Member
    Preferences begin to emerge:

The Ameriglo 2XL sight set paired with the HS507 atop the C&H plate DID make a big positive difference compared to the "true cowitness" 3XL.

With the 3XL, when you elevate your head slightly to increase the gap between the dot and the top edge of the iron sights, the irons rather clearly get vertically misaligned.  If you manage to program yourself to totally ignore the irons, this is a non-issue, but if your lizard brain has 40 years of experience screaming at you to "LINE THOSE SUCKERS UP!", you end up looking at the more cluttered true-cowitness sight picture.

With the 2XL, doing the same thing does not give near the same "that ain't right" sight picture (that you SHOULD be ignoring) below your dot..

So we have a set of 1XL's coming to see what we get.  The goal at this point seems to be to establish how low we can go with the irons and have a useable top edge of sights, but still have some combination of tritium dots that does not get cut off by the red dot's deck.

Doubtless, there will be time spent with calipers as we figure out the puzzles for the various sights we're looking at.  Fun to learn all this, however, it's got me standing by my earlier statement:

VS. 
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,672 Senior Member
      I make a point to reinforce my Luddot status. I will wander a bit to make this metaphorical point.

Back when I was young, autos had mostly standard transmissions...."three on the tree" and a few "four in the floor."  (VWs, etc.)  Automatic transmissions were extra cost and kinda not cool for us teens.  Most of us learned to drive on standard and didn't want to pay extra for an auto that offered less performance than a manual.  Thing is, if you could drive a standard transmission, you could also drive an automatic.  But the opposite was not the case.  I spent a frustrating few hours trying to teach my nephew how to drive a manual transmission, without much luck.

Back in the 1980s, I had a LEO class in Columbus, GA, me and another officer.  We took my Department ride, a Mazda sedan with a 4 speed and a Wankel engine.  It was a 2 week school and I got sick after about the third day.  I didn't feel like driving to class, but my buddy didn't know how to drive a stick shift.  So, sick as I was, I had to drive the both of us from housing to school.

The point of this is to say electronic sights are fine, but don't get wedded to them to the point of not being able to use an iron sight. Is this a real possibility?  Could be.  Could also be one of those solutions looking for a problem to solve. Transmissions in cars have improved a great deal to the point that they are now THE standard in automobiles.  Is this possible with dot sights becoming the standard? I hope not. Good sight alignment w/irons is hard to replace.

I hate to rely on an electronic sight entirely...unless I have to. (Buckmark with a can=have to). The military has a supply system where if your battery or sight fails, you can get it fixed or replaced in no time.  For us LEOs and CC folks, it's a long way back to the battery store.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.