Home Main Category Personal Defense

pros and cons of red dot on edc

124»

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,090 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    That said, there is one area in which the red dots may stand to help with the phenomenon - you're supposed to do the reverse of what you do with iron sights, and that is keep your eyes focused on the target instead of the aiming dot.  Gone is the span of time between deciding the target is doing something that requires shooting and shifting back to the front sight and its alignment with the rear, which (a.) a lot of people don't do under extreme stress which is why combat accuracy is generally poor; (b.) older folks with distance-corrected eyes often CAN'T do very quickly or well; and (c.) allows continued perception of the target's actions all the way to bullet delivery - potentially helping with justification of the shoot/don't shoot process.  Essentially, the tunnel vision is still there, but maybe you can now operate more effectively while in it.

Once they understand how iron sights work as an aiming point in relation to the POA/POI, stop tying a boat anchor to their shooting. 

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,803 Senior Member
    Well. . .sometimes you gotta anchor their boat to SOMETHING, otherwise it drifts.

Like any bell curve, you've got the top ~10% you don't have to worry at all, the middle ~80% that needs varying degrees of occasional assistance, and the bottom ~10% that needs a lot of attention to keep with the 80%.  Those are usually in a constant state of repair for any number of reasons.  Reinforcing a gripping method that doesn't let their gun wiggle around, as well as a means of controlling the trigger that doesn't let their gun wiggle around is often the whole battle, and watching the sights (often with judicious application of sneakily-inserted dummy rounds) to be cognizant of that wiggling around is, unfortunately, sometimes as good as it gets.

I'm pretty distrustful of new tech as the "savior" it gets pitched as - usually by the people trying to make a buck from it - but I've got some hope here.  The dots are usually small with regards to how much target they cover (in comparison with most front sights), and since they live in roughly the same focal plane as the target, they tend to show the shooter the wiggles of their bad technique better than irons do.

In that sense, yeah, it kinda feels like failure as a teacher to get the concept of irons across, but if a single picture makes the light bulb click on where my thousand words didn't, it's still the results that we're after. *Shrug*

(Does kinda make me wonder how difficult the reverse - teaching irons to someone who's only ever shot optics - will be.  Hopefully a problem for the next generation.)

WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,090 Senior Member
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    I’ve gotten away from focusing on the front sight of a handgun (or red dot). You can’t shoot fast focusing on a point at the end of your hand. 
    It was an epiphany when I realized two things:
    -The fight is “out there”, so focus on the fight. 
    -Focusing on the front sight is slow. 

Teaching to concentrate focus on the front sight after initial understanding/learning of sight picture/alignment is both antiquated and detrimental to improving a shooters speed and situational awareness. 

I see the front sight/red dot. 
    I use the front sight/red dot. 
    I don’t FOCUS on the front sight/red dot. 
    BINGO!!!!!!! 
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,572 Senior Member
    Great insight from all.  Thanks very much.  
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.