Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

$600 Weekly Incentive Not To Return To Work

pjames777pjames777 Senior MemberPosts: 1,421 Senior Member
Its going to be interesting to see how many of the unemployed due to Covid-19 return to work before the extra $2400 a month in unemployment benefits cease.  Why would they?  Got to love the Democrats.

Replies

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,398 Senior Member
    I wonder how many landlords are going to get stiffed even though the 2020 tax refund is coming early.

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 776 Senior Member
    edited April 17 #3
    I wonder how many landlords are going to get stiffed even though the 2020 tax refund is coming early.

Thank God my tenet has a job still. They have been renting from me for years. However, I'm always willing to give them a few months if need be.  
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    After being stuck at home, I'm thinking folks will be GLAD to get out of the house
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    After being stuck at home, I'm thinking folks will be GLAD to get out of the house
    Oh they'll get out of the house....just won't be driving to work!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Lets see 600 bucks a week unemployment plus 600 more?  That is more than many people make working.  Equal to a touch over 28 bucks an hour.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Fox News reporting that Small Business owners are concerned that they're work force will opt to keep getting the unemployment vs. going back to work.    Why make other peoples' beds at a hotel for $15 an hour when you can effectively get $27 an hour staying home!  Or fast food workers, or Home Depot etc...
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,732 Senior Member
    edited April 17 #8
    pjames777 said:
    Fox News reporting that Small Business owners are concerned that they're work force will opt to keep getting the unemployment vs. going back to work.    Why make other peoples' beds at a hotel for $15 an hour when you can effectively get $27 an hour staying home!  Or fast food workers, or Home Depot etc...

If there is work available they are required to go back. Otherwise they lose the benefits.

I wish I would have gotten laid off. I would have maxed out and gotten $600 on top! Would be making  a few hundred more a paycheck. Don't get me wrong, I prefer having a stable job, but I wouldn't mind a few weeks off making more than I would have! 

"If there is work available they are required to go back. Otherwise they lose the benefits."

Provided State workers can verify that they have work offers.  With millions filing for benefits I'm guessing the check and balance system will just continue to send "checks".
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member

WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,047 Senior Member
    JMHO.....if you've got a job, and you're not a jerk.....it'll probably last much longer than unemployment benefits.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    I like the keep working option.  We have been in a slight pickle with still having to get critical jobs finished and a large portion of our workforce being laid off due to job shutdowns and distancing requirements limiting manpower on jobs.  A lot of guys also opted for a layoff when all this started.  Being construction, a lot are older and already had compromised systems.  Cant really blame them too much.  Some did use it as an excuse to not work and still take advantage of the increased unemployment and our recently increased sub pay.  Im not working as many hours as I was prior to the shutdown, but im still working.  This keeps my current employer work history going (planning on moving in a few years) and keeps adding hours toward retirement.  I also cant sit at home that long.  
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,638 Senior Member
    My reloading mentor is currently laid off from his job as a foreman/estimator for one of the larger construction companies in northern MN, first time since he took the job in the 90's, he said they are shutting down the mines in Northern MN, that is a bad sign 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,047 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    My reloading mentor is currently laid off from his job as a foreman/estimator for one of the larger construction companies in northern MN, first time since he took the job in the 90's, he said they are shutting down the mines in Northern MN, that is a bad sign 
    That's not good. I was an estimator for a pretty large construction firm for 23 years. Usually, the estimator is the next to last guy out the door. The owner follows close behind.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    CHIRO1989 said:
    That's not good. I was an estimator for a pretty large construction firm for 23 years. Usually, the estimator is the next to last guy out the door. The owner follows close behind.

Mike
    I am not sure what the circumstances are, the road restrictions are still on due to the frost not being all of the way out up north yet, might be a temporary deal because of the season, it does raise an eyebrow though. 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    edited April 23 #17
    Something else to ponder from my neck of the woods, there are hog farmers euthanizing piglets at this time due to the lack of processing facilities and the low prices, all of the local meat shops are booked out till December as well as the packing plant closures. Barn full of laying hens was gassed due to lack of market for eggs. Chicken barns that sell fryers primarily to restaurants are not being restocked due to lack of restaurant sales. Jenni-O is shutting down turkey processing due to Covid-19 outbreaks in plants, not sure what is going on in the barns with that news yet. Milk is getting dumped. Pay attention folks, the ride is not over any time soon.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    My wife and I decided yesterday to try to buy all of our produce at local produce stands to support the local farmers.  They are having a tough time of it.  I applaud the grocery store chain Publix.  They have announced that they will be buying extra milk and produce from the farmers and donating it to food banks.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Something else to ponder from my neck of the woods, there are hog farmers euthanizing piglets at this time due to the lack of processing facilities and the low prices, all of the local meat shops are booked out till December as well as the packing plant closures. Barn full of laying hens was gassed due to lack of market for eggs. Chicken barns that sell fryers primarily to restaurants are not being restocked due to lack of restaurant sales. Jenni-O is shutting down turkey processing due to Covid-19 outbreaks in plants, not sure what is going on in the barns with that news yet. Milk is getting dumped. Pay attention folks, the ride is not over any time soon.
    Ive been eye balling this. My last supply stop, I stocked a bit of canned meat. I'll keep some  meat in the small freezer, but have decided against running the chest freezer. It remains empty and stored. One less machine to break down. I can weather high prices, but I can't produce my own farm products. We'll see. I got a pretty big bean cache.

I have no opinion on the $600.00 unemployment except maybe this. If we pay a tax, we're intitled to a reasonable expectation of accountability and/or  applicable compensation. I suppose the argument centers around the definition of "reasonable."
    I just bought a half pig. Prices are down.
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 660 Senior Member
    Seen a news report that explained that a person could work part time and earn $300 and still receive full unemployment.

I wonder if a business could rehire employees at part time and qualify for the PPP loan. If I was an employer I think that is the route I would take.