Home Main Category Clubhouse

Govt websites

LinefinderLinefinder ModeratorPosts: 7,748 Senior Member
Ever notice that while Amazon, e-bay, local banks, etc. can launch a website that works perfectly every time, the federal government can barely launch one at all? Gooberment websites are a joke.

End of rant.

Mike
"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
N454casull

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    I reckon they could mess up a one man parade most of the time. Underestimate traffic and overestimate their ability to handle the flow. Government anything is rarely a solution to a problem.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 600 Senior Member
    Businesses that are concerned about staying in business have a greater incentive to provide reliable, quality customer service than governments.  Especially those governments that are not worried about going out of business and tend to view those who rely on their services more like cash cows than customers.
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,113 Senior Member
    This is what happens when you go with low bid contractors...The government rarely rolls out a new computer related anything that works on time or on schedule...at least from my vast experience with government related stuff,,,
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,748 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    This is what happens when you go with low bid contractors...The government rarely rolls out a new computer related anything that works on time or on schedule...at least from my vast experience with government related stuff,,,
    If the low private company bidder gets the actual work, why are there so many govt employees? Are they all "contract administrators"?

Mike
    N454casull
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,739 Senior Member
    I blame black projects.

Money funneled to other programs we're not supposed to know about. Under the radar stuff. How else can such gross incompetence be kept "in business" for so many decades over so many administrations.
    They're either doing it wrong or doing something very right -- right under our noses.
    End Conspiracy Theory Rant. 😎
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,135 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    If the low private company bidder gets the actual work, why are there so many govt employees? Are they all "contract administrators"?

Mike
    Do you really think that all Government work is done by contractors?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,748 Senior Member
    No, I never thought that at all. You might have missed Jayhawkers post...which I was replying to.

Mike
    N454casull
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,113 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    Jayhawker said:

Mike
    Of course not...I worked for the Government before contracting was a big thing...but I also know that the Government has never saved a dime by utilizing contract labor .....Just lowball the contract bid and make it up in cost over-runs...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 600 Senior Member
    Spk said:
    I blame black projects.

Money funneled to other programs we're not supposed to know about. Under the radar stuff. How else can such gross incompetence be kept "in business" for so many decades over so many administrations.
    They're either doing it wrong or doing something very right -- right under our noses.
    End Conspiracy Theory Rant. 😎
     I think that "We, the People", who fail to participate in the elections process, are the ones who are probably doing it wrong. 
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    As someone who works for the government. I've been assured. That everything works perfectly, and any and all  perceived problems are caused by my failures. Failures that are too extensive to enumerate.
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,886 Senior Member

No good deed goes unpunished...
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,135 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Diver43 said:
    Jayhawker said:

Mike
    Of course not...I worked for the Government before contracting was a big thing...but I also know that the Government has never saved a dime by utilizing contract labor .....Just lowball the contract bid and make it up in cost over-runs...
    Exactly
    I have seen sections go contract and rip the government off for every penny they could.  Fast forward 4 years or so and they hire Government folks back. Then someone says hey a contractor could do this cheaper A-76 says yup and it starts over again.   As for programs, a big part of the problem is they don't talk to the end user, some high ranking muckity muck says we need THIS when THAT is actually needed. 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,739 Senior Member
    Gila said:

I second that beating.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain