Home Main Category Clubhouse

Famous people who flew/fly

DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
edited April 2020 in Clubhouse #1
Lecil Travis Martin  - flight engineer on B29s. Hint - he was a gospel and country western singer. 

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,749 Senior Member
    Buddy Hollie.
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Military or just fly?  John Travolta is the poster child for celebrity pilot.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    President George H. W. Bush was a Navy Pilot
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,142 Senior Member
    edited April 2020 #5
    Senator John McCain

Golfer Phil Mickelson flies his own G-5 to tournaments.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,502 Senior Member
    Harrison Ford is a pilot.....not saying he is a good one.....
    In my travels I have flown in and out of that airport many times.  One time I witnessed a near midair collision between a Cessna 172 and a Sheriff's helicopter over that same runway.  The helicopter flew over the runway while the Cessna was taking off forcing the Cessna to dive out of the way.

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,032 Senior Member
    Jimmy Stewart, Brigadier General USAF, flew B-24s in WW2 and as a crew member on B-52, arc light flights in Viet Nam.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    John Denver.  Missed checking the gas gauge on his pre-flight on his last flight.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    Shotgunshooter and his Dad
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,985 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    John Denver.  Missed checking the gas gauge on his pre-flight on his last flight.
    How well I remember this - it happened local to me.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • bhl2506bhl2506 Senior Member Posts: 2,027 Senior Member
    Thurmond Munson
    Refusing to conform to the left wing mantra of political correctness by insisting on telling the truth does not make you a loud mouth.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,749 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    What I read from the FAA investigation was that he didn't technically run out of fuel. He was in a new-to-him experimental aircraft that had 2 fuel tanks. Switching from one to the other required pulling a lever which was located behind and over the shoulder of the pilot. Apparently, he didn't fully engage the change-over lever (due to unfamiliarity with this particular aircraft), and was too low to correct the mistake once the engine conked out.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    What I read from the FAA investigation was that he didn't technically run out of fuel. He was in a new-to-him experimental aircraft that had 2 fuel tanks. Switching from one to the other required pulling a lever which was located behind and over the shoulder of the pilot. Apparently, he didn't fully engage the change-over lever (due to unfamiliarity with this particular aircraft), and was too low to correct the mistake once the engine conked out.

Mike
    Interesting, I just remember an article saying he ran out of fuel.  Tragic nevertheless.  Very talented man.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,739 Senior Member
    edited April 2020 #15
    Willie Nelson is always flying high as a kite. Does that count?

Michael Dorn -- Worf (Turner on CHiP's)
    A member of the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association, Dorn is an accomplished pilot. He has flown with the Blue Angels as well as the Thunderbirds...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Dorn

Not just a good actor. He seems like a very good guy. I met him at a an airshow in California. He was standing next to his helicopter.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• bhl2506bhl2506 Senior Member Posts: 2,027 Senior Member
    Sen. Bob Dole
    Refusing to conform to the left wing mantra of political correctness by insisting on telling the truth does not make you a loud mouth.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,970 Senior Member
    A certain pink shirt clad Marine comes to mind. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:

Mike
    Yea, something like that. Ditched right off of Point Pinos ("PEENYOS") if I remember correctly - which I may not.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
    edited April 2020 #19
    knitepoet said:
    Ronnie Van Zant
    The day the music died. I saw them back in 76. As a kid I didn't know much about Skynyrd and when Ronnie came out I thought he was a stage hand or something - he was so short. But damn! when he grabbed that mike and started jamming I was hooked. They were such a great band. I think the only one left now out of the original line-up is Rossington.  
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,118 Senior Member
    Watched an investigative thing about John Denver's final flight...

There was the thing with the fuel switch being in an awkward location, but in manuvering to get to it, he had to release his harness and as he was reaching over his shoulder, he stepped on the rudder pedal which caused the dive into the ocean...

Also...he was flying with no pilots license as the FAA pulled his ticket due to his alcoholism and drug use...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Wiley Post
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,551 Senior Member
    Me :p well except for the fact I don’t fly anymore and I’m not and never will be famous!!! 
    Do have time in Piper Tomahawk, Cherokee 140’s and 180’s Cessna 182 and 210, Citabria Decathlon and a Maule M5
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,632 Senior Member
    Davey Allison and local boy Alan  "Special K" Kulwicki.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    NN said:
    Shotgunshooter and his Dad
    The shirt was shrimp colored not pink
  • DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
    Harrison Ford is a pilot.....not saying he is a good one.....
    In my travels I have flown in and out of that airport many times.  One time I witnessed a near midair collision between a Cessna 172 and a Sheriff's helicopter over that same runway.  The helicopter flew over the runway while the Cessna was taking off forcing the Cessna to dive out of the way.

Han Solo didn't have Chewbacca with him, that's why.
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 1,319 Senior Member
    I sure as he'll ain't famous but I'm currently a student pilot in the middle of getting my sport pilots license. Can't pass a medical for the private license but I'm still having a blast flying a Piper Cub. I did get a few hours in a Cessna 172 though. I'm also in the midst of building one of these ultralights:

We've been conditioned to believe that obedience is virtuous and voting is freedom- 
    Amelia Earhardt. Howard Hughes. Charles Lindbergh. Snoopy.

)O(
    This one is so obvious that I am surprised nobody mentioned it......the Wright brothers.
    Who?

)O(
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,902 Senior Member
    Mickey Gilley. Johnny Lee said Mickey had the best pilots teach him to fly but he learned to crash on his own.