Home Main Category Clubhouse

4x4's / Off-road vehicles past and present

10canyon5310canyon53 MemberPosts: 2,122 Senior Member
All right, since I know y'all have nothing better to do, let's see your 4x4's and any other off-road vehicles you have or have had in the past.  No, they do not have to be street legal and bonus points for pics of them in the wild.  Extra bonus points for pics of them in interesting locations.  The more pics the better.  I'll start it off, don't leave me hanging!

First, the inspiration for my screen name, my 2010 GMC Canyon Z71 4x4 with a 5.3L V8 stuffed under the hood.  I still own it, but my daughter is driving it currently.
At Duck Commander in Monroe, LA.
I also have a 2010 Suburban 4x4.  No off-road package on this one, the 4wd system is more for bad road conditions than off-road.
About 20 years ago I had a Ford Bronco II
And about 30 years ago I had a Dodge Power Wagon
Little known fact about the Power Wagon, in 2wd configuration it was a front wheel drive.  The rear axle didn't engage until it was placed in 4wd.  For this reason when I went off-roading with some buddies in their Jeeps I was able to keep up with them in 2wd when they were in 4wd.  I only had to engage 4wd when the mud got real deep.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member

1998 Toyota Tacoma TRD..
    One of two current daily drivers. Ive had it since August of 1998.. V-6 automatic. Disc front drum rear abs brakes. Shift on the fly 4×4.. 8,000lbs Warne runs off temporary hook & hitch front or rear. Stock rear dif locker blah blah blah.. Been a good truck. Best vehicle Ive ever had. Out lasted 3 addresses and one marriage.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,970 Senior Member
    edited April 2020 #3
    2014 Toyota Tacoma SR5. It started as a pretty standard 4x4 V6 truck, and I've made incremental improvements as I've gone along. Currently sports bolt on rock sliders, RCI skid plates from the transfer case forward, and I recently buckled and upgraded the suspension to Icon Stage 4. 

Somewhere in PA:

Moab last summer:

Profile shot after the upgraded suspension:

- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    10canyon53 that Powerwagon although not quite old enough reminds me of one that belonged to a freind of my dads many years ago. It had a glow plug Cat motor and 4x4 and was a smoking smelly clanking beast. It garnered its owner the nick name Diesel.

Shotgunshooter I like that blue gem. The front skid plate on mine has lost its rear bolts with help from negligent grease monkeys. Your upgrades were smart.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    The Power Wagon was a '78 or '79 if I remember correctly.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,970 Senior Member
    Shotgunshooter I like that blue gem. The front skid plate on mine has lost its rear bolts with help from negligent grease monkeys. Your upgrades were smart.
    Thanks. I've been very pleased with it. It's been a very reliable daily driver / mountain / ski vehicle. Any issues that have come up with it besides scheduled maintenance were user-induced. Next on the list are some 32-33" "pizza cutter" tires, but I still have 20-30K left on the current ones, and fortunately the ~2" lift didn't kill my gas mileage. It's not the newest, it's not the fanciest, and it's not the most blingy 4x4 on the trails, but as long as I'm smart about where I take it it hasn't failed me.

I'm frequently tempted by some of the newer offerings (I have a friend who has a new 2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 that gets an honest 28 MPG highway to my 17-19), but this truck has long been paid off. I will probably drive it until it abandons me somewhere unexpectedly, if that day ever comes.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,958 Senior Member
    edited April 2020 #7
    my 07 F250. 130K and still running well. Both rear quarters had been replaced with Chinese panels and had been the only thing showing rust, but I just noticed some on the cab. Going to patch that and shoot for 2 more years, ish. 

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,986 Senior Member
    edited April 2020 #8
    I think the entire forum already knows about mine:
    Maybe I shoulda worn heels for this picture?
    Jeep aficionados will recognize this decal - had to have one. $2.50 and I actually bought it the nite before I bought the Jeep!
    Even though I grew up in the country - on a dirt road that had its share of problems, nobody in my family has ever owned a 4x4 of any description. Trucks, oh yea. Guns? Of course. Chainsaws, come alongs, big ladders, blah, blah, blah, even a small tractor - yep. But no 4 wheel drive.
    So now I live in a suburban tract house and have a Jeep. Go figure.

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    My FIL and MIL posing with my New Holland 4WD tractor.  That sucker NEVER left me stranded and I carried a LOT of dead deer in that bucket.

Ford Super-Duty 7.3 TurboDiesel 4x4.  That thing was a beast and rather trail capable except for the length.  Long bed and extended cab made for a rather long vehicle.

2001 Rubicon

2005 Rocky Mountain Edition

My wife and I are hoping to buy some acreage in the next 3-4 years and she already understands that a 4wd tractor is going to be part of the deal.  :D
    We may be putting our house up for sale here soon and move into the rental house that my brother and I inherited from our mom when she moved into a retirement community.  My nephew and his wife have been living in it but they are moving to Wisconsin next week.  If I can get my current house sold then when we find the property we are looking for we can pounce.  According to Zillow the market value on my house is about $85,000 more than the principal left on the loan.....but who knows what the market will do in the next 2-3 months.
  • DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
    edited April 2020 #11
    No pics but my very first 4x4 was a 69' F250. Had 3 tanks a big block 390, split rims, and I think the mpg was actually gpm!  Thing was a total rust bucket but in 4 low it would go anywhere. Next was a CJ-5. The jeep was loads of fun for a then twenty-something but in reality it was as worthless as **** on a boar - can't haul anything in a jeep and I worked construction at the time. Good scouting rig I guess. After that, a 87 GMC, and finally a 08' Ford Ranger which now has almost 400K. The Ranger has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. The new rigs look nice but until I win the lottery or get an inheritance from an unknown rich uncle I'll be keeping what I've got. 
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,118 Senior Member
    1997 Land Rover Discovery...had a 2 inch lift and was a freaking tank...only downside was it was so light you couldn't drag out someone stuck in a snowdrift.
    It still lives in KS as a hunting rig..

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport (2 door) living in the garage..

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee...up on the fancy end, but it's still a Jeep and runs the National Forest 2 tracks just fine...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker said:
    1997 Land Rover Discovery...had a 2 inch lift and was a freaking tank...only downside was it was so light you couldn't drag out someone stuck in a snowdrift.

In Africa we had a real Land Rover  ;)
    With that little 4 banger it wasn't going to win any races (top speed just under 55 mph) but it was geared low enough to get the job done.  Don't mistake it for something comfortable to ride in though.  :#
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,118 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:

In Africa we had a real Land Rover  ;)
    With that little 4 banger it wasn't going to win any races (top speed just under 55 mph) but it was geared low enough to get the job done.  Don't mistake it for something comfortable to ride in though.  :#
    I had the opportunity to buy a used Defender but the asking price a astronomical...apparently there aren't too many of them in the U.S....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    They are even rarer in the US than they used to be.  I remember reading something a few years ago about a lot of the ones that were here were be shipped overseas....but I don't remember the details.  I know I used to see a lot more of them, they are rare as hen's teeth in the US now.
    A quick Google search turned up this information, apparently it was the side impact airbag requirement in 1998 that did the Defender in for North America.

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,372 Senior Member
    edited April 2020 #17
    Growing up on a ranch in northern Wyoming we had all kinds of 4wd pickups. We had a 68 4wd Chevy, 72 4wd Chevy, 75 4wd Chevy, a 78 suburban 4wd and a Subaru sedan that was 4wd. When we moved to Colorado my brother kept a 77 international scout. I had an 84 Chevy citation... but that citation would go pretty much anywhere the scout would🤣😂
    But now j have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler 
    Oh by the way all the ranch trucks were USED UP. There wasn’t much of anything left of them when we moved. They all used a couple quarts of oil very tank of gas! 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,770 Senior Member
    Not that it's used off road, but it has seen more dirt than most of the Jeeps around me. 

edited April 2020 #19
    mitdr774 said:
    Not that it's used off road, but it has seen more dirt than most of the Jeeps around me. 

Dirt. Not exactly a rough road but good scenery 😉
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,770 Senior Member
    That's about what my truck has seen.  The offroad looking Jeeps around me are nothing but pavement princesses for about 95% of them.  When they dont even have a swirl mark on the paint, they have probably never even seen a gravel or dirt driveway, much less a road.

🤣😆
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,749 Senior Member
    No pics.... but ....

"72 Jeep Wagoneer with a 5 ton PTO winch. Absolute beast in Louisiana mud. The winch wasn't for me...but it sure helped a lot of CJ's. Sold it and bought a CJ. Worst auto mistake I've ever made.

'83 Jeep CJ7......sucked on the highway, and wasn't much better in the mud. A VW with mudders could pull it out of a hole it managed to get stuck in.

Lexus 300.....don't laugh......haven't had it in the mud, since there isn't any here, but snow...ice.....deep snow.....nothing to it. Never a slip or slide. Ever.

RAV4.....same as the Lexus. No mud experience, but it's a little beast in the snow and ice.

Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,666 Senior Member
    edited April 2020 #24

'77 K5 Blazer w/ 400 SBC

'84 Bronco w/ 302W

'12 Tacoma w/ 4cly 5speed

Current 2020 Bighorn w/ 5.7 Hemi...

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    GunNut said:

2001 Rubicon

So what was the Rocky Mountain edition? I like the color - I'm not much on blue cars but that's a nice shade of blue that works well here.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,552 Senior Member
    List is long but no pictures handy.
    79 and 86 CJ-7’s +89 Wrangler Sahara
    84,89,92 baby Cherokee’s
    78 Chevy 1/2 ton and 81 GMC 1/2 ton
    92 Mitsubishi Montero 
    96,2000,2013 1/2ton extracab Silverado’s
    and my current daily driver an 2007 GMC Yukon

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:

2001 Rubicon

So what was the Rocky Mountain edition? I like the color - I'm not much on blue cars but that's a nice shade of blue that works well here.
    It was a smaller number edition and shared some of the features of the Rubicon like the larger differentials (I want to say Dana 44s) and some of the underbody armature to make it more rock damage resistant.  I don’t remember but I don’t think it had the locking hubs like the Rubicon.  It also came in this special blue paint called Patriot Blue and factory custom Alcoa rims.
    I had a 96' Bronco for a couple years.

It was a good solid truck. Manual hubs and transmission. The 5.0 liter engine was a bit light for mountain highways. The rear window needing to slide down into the gate for cargo access was terrible. It was slow and a dirt trap. The bench front seat was super comfortable. Best seat Ive ever had.
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 1,319 Senior Member
    Its not really an off road toy for me because its too purdy to get all dinged up, but its my first 4x4 and new to me.

We've been conditioned to believe that obedience is virtuous and voting is freedom- 
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:

2001 Rubicon

It was a smaller number edition and shared some of the features of the Rubicon like the larger differentials (I want to say Dana 44s) and some of the underbody armature to make it more rock damage resistant.  I don’t remember but I don’t think it had the locking hubs like the Rubicon.  It also came in this special blue paint called Patriot Blue and factory custom Alcoa rims.
    Maybe sorta like the later Willys editions. Nice looking Jeep. My '06 has the unimaginative sub-model name of "X".

)O(
  • Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 600 Senior Member
    edited April 2020 #31
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:

2001 Rubicon

Maybe sorta like the later Willys editions. Nice looking Jeep. My '06 has the unimaginative sub-model name of "X".
    The 'X' factor, symbol of an unknown quantity or, on your Jeep, being prepared to encounter unknown adventures and beyond.

If you want to see a deer in the headlights look, ask some poser with an Oscar Mike JK  what oscar mike means... 
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee