Home Main Category Clubhouse

Yoga Pants and today's attire rant.

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,327 Senior Member
    Hmmmm. . . If Duluth Trading Company wanted to branch out, the commercials could be AWESOME:

"What normal business attire feels like" - cartoon of a man in a straightjacket and leg restraints sitting between two towel-clad men in a steam room, while one of them ladles water onto the hot rocks.  Fade out as the steam billows, concealing our miserable hero.

"What Duluth's Mind Your Own Business Attire feels like" - Tarzan in his loincloth swinging through the trees on a vine.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,986 Senior Member
    And just like that the old forum is back.
    I call pretentious nonsense when I hear it. I'm not much on snobbery or "putting on airs". Suits and ties look ridiculous at best. I have spoken, and don't need to say any more, others continue to make my point better than I could.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    My idea of appropriate attire.

Last range trip was a cold morning. I noticed my 15 yro son was getting pretty big. I gave him my old Wall's insulated cover alls to keep warm. Then told him some old time work stories including the day I bought those old cover alls from the wine-o's that had a burning barrel out in the alley behind the warehouse for $5.00.. Long time ago. Cover alls are still keeping "us" warm. :)
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Not comfortable to me. Too hot, too tight around the neck. I don't want to hear the old saw about "if it fits correctly, it isn't uncomfortable" - because it doesn't matter how loose a necktie and buttoned up collared shirt are, they're uncomfortable. Did I mention hot? And Goddess forbid this nonsensical male jacket be anything but wool. Who invented this crap? What is it with male fashion that demands a high and tight collar? Collars are for dogs and BDSM games.
    Some may not be able to "take seriously" someone in casual attire - but the reverse is true as well: I take an immediate dislike and strong distrust of anyone in a suit and find it difficult to take them seriously. "Who are you trying to fool?" They have an uphill road to prove themselves to me - I'm supposed to automatically give credence because of the way someone is dressed? Really? How fake.
    Thankfully, this nonsensical male dress code is indeed going the way of the Dodo bird. After 200+ years, its about time, an end at last to the countless "interchangeable drones". You want me to dress "nicely"? Trust me, I can do so without resorting to tight collars, neckties, or wool jackets. I might even wear pants! And I'll be cool and comfortable. Even the most formal outfit I own - although it is indeed very hot, at least isn't tight around the neck nor has a jacket, wool or otherwise, involved with it.
    I cannot deal with tight things around my neck or wrists. I don't wear a wristwatch because I find them uncomfortable, never mind silly long sleeve shirts buttoned tightly at the wrists. Even my dance jewelry is mostly loose bangles instead of tight bracelets.

And just like that the old forum is back.
    Yep.  If you don’t hate what I hate... followed by a rash of insulting statements...
    dropping out of this CF thread.
    edited April 2020 #36
    GunNut said:
    Yep.  If you don’t hate what I hate... followed by a rash of insulting statements...
    Right. You started it, not me...
    GunNut said:
    Maybe it’s my outdated preconceptions but when some millennial with the next best tech idea does a presentation for me in shorts and flip flops I have a very hard time taking it serious enough to write Big checks...  my boss has thrown out a few from meetings.
    Now who is all "if you don't hate what I hate, followed by a rash of insults"? One last time: We really DO NOT CARE what the executive class thinks, does, or pays for - or thinks WE should pay for for that matter. I'm tired of hearing about it - and I'm not the only one based on PM conversations; and yea, I'm outta this clustermug too!

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    GunNut said:
    Maybe it’s my outdated preconceptions but when some millennial with the next best tech idea does a presentation for me in shorts and flip flops I have a very hard time taking it serious enough to write Big checks...  my boss has thrown out a few from meetings.
    Now who is all "if you don't hate what I hate, followed by a rash of insults"? One last time: We really DO NOT CARE what the executive class thinks, does, or pays for - or thinks WE should pay for for that matter. I'm tired of hearing about it, and yea, I'm outta this clustermug too!

Lol! Perhaps I should have used a jester emoji in my original post. Zorba, you're taking what was done mostly in jest waaay too seriously. Come on dude, lighten up. 
    edited April 2020 #38
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    GunNut said:
    Now who is all "if you don't hate what I hate, followed by a rash of insults"? One last time: We really DO NOT CARE what the executive class thinks, does, or pays for - or thinks WE should pay for for that matter. I'm tired of hearing about it, and yea, I'm outta this clustermug too!

Lol! Perhaps I should have used a jester emoji in my original post. Zorba, you're taking what was done mostly in jest waaay too seriously. Come on dude, lighten up. 

Drawbar - you're fine. I didn't take exception to your post, I laughed too! I'm just tired of hearing about how wonderful the executive class is...
    Goddess knows I'm all about "freedom of dress" - me of all people. People that want to wear suits, feel good in them, etc, etc - that's great! You won't get any arguments from me! But when somebody tells me that I - or anybody else - is somehow inferior because we won't/don't dress in a particular way, I take exception. When I hear that people should dress a particular way because the out-of-touch executive class - or their sycophants, hangers on, and wannabes say so, I see red...

)O(
    edited April 2020 #41
    How did we go from yoga pants to men's suits while there are still starving beagles in this world?

Mike
    Snort! I personally wouldn't wear yoga pants anywhere as I don't like tight clothing, but "whatever". I wear baggy pants for dance practice and yoga myself.

)O(
  • N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 671 Senior Member
    See here’s the thing I don’t think Gunnut insulted anyone just stated what his boss had done. Right or wrong just what he observed. 

On the other hand there are a few here that seem to relish in the “calling people out” and the “I don’t stand for...” that’s ok but to just constantly call people or a group of people you don’t agree with names and try to belittle them gets old. 

See Zorba I could say a lot about your dress habits I personally don’t agree with them, but I don’t, I don’t call you names, I don’t make over the top inflammatory  statements about people that dress that way. I definitely do not agree with it and definitely have an opinion as to why you and others do dress that way but hey what ever your choice you get to deal with the pluses and minuses of that choice not me so, so be it. 

If I choose to wear a suit or drive a new technology driven car what does it matter? But what does get me and others on here is how some just can’t let it be, walk away, at this point we all know your opinion. Why must it be expressed and resort to name calling and belittling a group because you don’t agree? 

Anyway I just thought the forum was going good there for awhile then the “well I’m old and a curmudgeon and everyone needs to know it” came out and we are back. 

Yoga pants: I personally can’t decide how I feel about the ones that are pulled so tight you can tell exactly what type/style and print of a person underwear. 
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,739 Senior Member
    (Using my best Sigmund Freud voice)
    "This discussion will require deep psychoanalysis."

Now back to the hungry, hungry hippos in yoga pants.

I think a visual is in order to bring this thread back on track.
    Click at your own peril.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

edited April 2020 #44
    How did we go from yoga pants to men's suits while there are still starving beagles in this world?

Mike
    She disagrees.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,690 Senior Member

Mike

Did you have a big celebration for National Beagle Day this past Wednesday?
    See here’s the thing I don’t think Gunnut insulted anyone just stated what his boss had done. Right or wrong just what he observed. 

On the other hand there are a few here that seem to relish in the “calling people out” and the “I don’t stand for...” that’s ok but to just constantly call people or a group of people you don’t agree with names and try to belittle them gets old. 

See Zorba I could say a lot about your dress habits I personally don’t agree with them, but I don’t, I don’t call you names, I don’t make over the top inflammatory  statements about people that dress that way. I definitely do not agree with it and definitely have an opinion as to why you and others do dress that way but hey what ever your choice you get to deal with the pluses and minuses of that choice not me so, so be it. 

If I choose to wear a suit or drive a new technology driven car what does it matter? But what does get me and others on here is how some just can’t let it be, walk away, at this point we all know your opinion. Why must it be expressed and resort to name calling and belittling a group because you don’t agree? 

Anyway I just thought the forum was going good there for awhile then the “well I’m old and a curmudgeon and everyone needs to know it” came out and we are back. 

Yoga pants: I personally can’t decide how I feel about the ones that are pulled so tight you can tell exactly what type/style and print of a person underwear. 

You make some good points. GunNut and I are like oil and water - he comes across *to me* as being condescending and derisive, and he always validates his position with the executive class which is utterly meaningless and counter productive *to me*. I value much of what he has to say on a variety of subjects, but when he starts what I see as "classism", its like waving a red flag in front of a bull. That's MY failing.
    You are correct, "If I choose to wear a suit or drive a new technology driven car what does it matter?". It doesn't. However, expecting others to do so, and belittling them when they do not, or making fun of them because they're "the exception" and "everybody else" is doing this, rubs me the wrong way. You don't hear me telling anybody they're an idiot because they don't wear skirts - even though I think they're comfortable and look nice. Too much cultural baggage for most guys, I get that and they do have their downsides as well. No doubt, some think I look just as ridiculous in a skirt as I think suits are!
    But you're points are well taken, and I thank you for them. I'll *try* not to "rise to the bait" so easily in the future. I like well reasoned posts that stand on their own merits like yours does. {BOW HERE}

)O(
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Speaking of beagles.

Back before I got chased off the public streets by my cosmopolitan nieghbors. I happened upon a very nice youg woman desperately trying to round up her escape artist beagle. I rendered assistance as some of us old and handy rather than handsome curmudgeons are prone to do with young ladies. One of the few interactions with the locals I remember fondly. I believe she was wearing yoga pants also......
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,206 Senior Member
    I can't believe there are no pictures with this thread, except for a beagle, $5 fines for all of you
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,466 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    I can't believe there are no pictures with this thread, except for a beagle, $5 fines for all of you

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,749 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Please, don't entice Zorb into posting pics.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    Zee said:
    CHIRO1989 said:

Well, you are technically off the hook for the fine, but your search-Fu sucks.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Chiro, you just *HAD* to open that Pandora's box! LOL...

)O(
    Zee said:
    CHIRO1989 said:

....AND, you are going to have some interesting ad pop-ups now :D  
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Well, you are technically off the hook for the fine,
    I disagree.  I think a $100 fine needs to be imposed on Mr. Zee because we all have to break out the eye bleach now.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,466 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Well, you are technically off the hook for the fine,
    I disagree.  I think a $100 fine needs to be imposed on Mr. Zee because we all have to break out the eye bleach now.

Just be thankful for the ones I DID NOT post!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    Yoga pants are not the only type of clothing that should be regulated.  Here in Florida do you know how often I see what appears to be a beached manatee only to discover when I get close enough that it is wearing a bikini?  :s
    Zee said:
    CHIRO1989 said:

"Again this discussion will require deep psychoanalysis... Tell me about your mother."

At least men and women aren't wearing matching short shorts in public!
    Too late!
    :s

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,749 Senior Member
    Spk said:
    At least men and women aren't wearing matching short shorts in public!
    Too late!
    :s
    Funny. At my dads viewing, my brother and his wife (who we hadn't seen for a decade or more)  showed up in matching white linen suits. They came down from Detroit. To rural NE Louisiana. Apparently they'd studied Mark Twain. 100 years too late.

Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. ...
    Mark Twain

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,364 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:

Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....