Home Main Category General Firearms

.45acp reloaders, come inside...

GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
So I'm concerned with the .455 bore of the S&W standard .45acp loads will not be very accurate.  Sooooooo, I'm thinking....  If I buy 500 .45AR cases, would I be able to reload them with something more compatible with the .455's bore?  The chambers were originally .455 but it has been professionally converted to .45 AR (or moon clips) and It's actually stamped so on the barrel (see pic).

Again this is just a toy but I'd like to at least have something that would hit the broad side of a barn if I do my part.

Also interesting, the gun was probably re-imported back to the USA through "official" channels so it's actually stamped "NotEnglishMake" on the frame!  interesting no?

Replies

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,371 Senior Member
    Very cool! 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Check the throats. You can buy cast lead bullets that match or slightly exceed the diameter by .001 or .002 inch. Load them over a light charge of fast pistol powder of your choice and in respect to the vintage gem they'll be launched from. The Hornady swaged and coated bullets can be safely loaded lighter than most.

Should be just as easy and fast as your old SASS days.

And size to .454. 

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,770 Senior Member
    Largest I have used is a .452 cast lead, but I dont see why you couldn't use something like a .454 diameter without much issue.
    If they're .455.. Pure lead .454s should abturate enough to fill the throats. Im pretty sure swaged lead bullets are pure lead.

I think the no longer made Ruger Old Army's took .457 balls. I know those are pure lead. Be easy enough to crimp into an AR case.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    I wonder if the hollow base wad cutters might be a good choice?  I really don’t have a lot of experience loading “out of the box”.
    Exactly what those are made for. You need our help like a doctor needs advice from a patient. :)
    I’ve just never tried loading anything bigger than a .452 in an acp case so I was wondering if any of you have?
    GunNut said:
    I’ve just never tried loading anything bigger than a .452 in an acp case so I was wondering if any of you have?
    I loaded some .454 bullets in some 45colts I used for SASS. It was a vaquero that had some “issues” it worked pretty well. 
    Ive also loaded 454s in colt cases.

Should be able to flare acps enough for 454's. Just mark em' good afterward.
    Ok so this is encouraging!!!  Later this week I’ll be getting the full moon clips and I’ll get to see how she does.  I’m excited to play with this one!
    Factory loaded ammo, including acp, or AR with lead bullets might bump up or abturate more than jacketed.

The rounded nose proflie of the standard ball acp bullets might work well regardless of size discrepancy. Ive read that round nose profiles can sometimes have advantages in that regard.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,327 Senior Member
    Ya got several options:

First, you'll want to slug your barrel & verify that your groove diameter is actually .455".  Webley's are STRANGE brew - to say nothing of Smiths designed to shoot Brit rounds.

If you have access to a set of pin gauges.  It's worth dropping a few to learn what your BORE diameter is.  With soft alloys and fast powders, you might be able to get them to slug up for a good fill.

If you're able to pour your own, MP Molds out of Slovenia has produced molds that clone the conical British MKII and the ogival wadcutter MKIV -  both with hollow bases.  These were available in both .455" and .457".  For my Webley MKVI revolver, I size them to .452 correctly fit the cylinder throats, and by design, they flare out to fill the bore.

You could also pick a print out of Accurate Molds catalog and spec the diameter for your gun.  Their 45-240K is a clone of Elmer Keith's 452423 Auto Rim bullet, which having played with it, is a wickedly brutal piece of work totally lacking in the finesse of his longer, more distance-capable SWC's.  Totally appropriate to your gun and era.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,507 Senior Member
    those export/imports toys are fun.  It would be cool to find out the history....

i have a couple of them that were sent/returned from the UK.  but i none of mine has the "NotEnglishMake" stamped anywhere.  i wonder if its a newer/recent regulation or older?

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,502 Senior Member
    Did I miss something?? Is this actually .45ACP and not .45Colt?? The .454 Colt slug will be a better fit that the ACP. .45 Auto Rim uses the same dies as ACP, just a different shell holder. 
    edited April 2020 #17
    Big Al1 said:
    Did I miss something?? Is this actually .45ACP and not .45Colt?? The .454 Colt slug will be a better fit that the ACP. .45 Auto Rim uses the same dies as ACP, just a different shell holder. 
    The long barrel Hand eject has a cylinder bored to .45 Colt.  The Indiana Jones repro has been modified to .45 AR.  Two different guns.  This thread is about the IJ gun BUT could apply to the Colt too.
    I'm movin' fast, can you keep up camera guy??

See the source image

I have some .455 cast bullets, want me to see if it fits in an ACP??
    Big Al1 said:
    I'm movin' fast, can you keep up camera guy??

See the source image

I have some .455 cast bullets, want me to see if it fits in an ACP??
    That would be awesome!!!
    Watch this spot!
    I couldn't find an auto rim empty so I used an ACP case. I resized and expanded the case mouth. The Webley bullet seated nicely. I didn't crimp it, but I sure it should be crimped. The bullet measure .454 at the base, which is hollow so I'm sure it's meant to expand and engage the rifling. I seated it long so it would engage the top crimping groove. A charge of 4 grains of Unique would be a good load, that's the load I shoot in the Webley. Probably 600-650 FPS.
    It chambered nicely in my 1917 Smith.

This is the proper bullet for a .455. https://www.buffaloarms.com/455-265-grain-rn-hollow-base-cast-lead-bullets-for-455-webley-20-1-spg-lube-box-of-50-455265hb

That’s PERFECT!!!!!  Thanks!!!
    I'm NOT just another pretty face!! B)
    Big Al1 said:
    You are THAT too :kissing_heart:
    Both bullets look great!  That would also keep the loads looking period correct!!!
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,349 Senior Member
    Another option you might look at is to shoot an email to Matt's Bullets and see if they can size a bullet to the spec you want.  See if he has a bullet you like, then ask him if he can size it to what you need.  They have done that in the past for me, just not quite in the same way.  I order gas checked lead bullets from Matt's sized to .357 for my MGM Encore barrel rather than .358 or .359 commonly seen with lead bullets. In your case, it'll depend on what diameter the bullet comes out of the mold at.
    Jay said:
    Another option you might look at is to shoot an email to Matt's Bullets and see if they can size a bullet to the spec you want.  See if he has a bullet you like, then ask him if he can size it to what you need.  They have done that in the past for me, just not quite in the same way.  I order gas checked lead bullets from Matt's sized to .357 for my MGM Encore barrel rather than .358 or .359 commonly seen with lead bullets. In your case, it'll depend on what diameter the bullet comes out of the mold at.
    Hey that's a great idea.  I'll look into that too.
    Thanks!
    knitepoet said:
    Big Al1 said:
    Ain't that the truth ;)

I still remember the day at Jerry's when a bunch of us approached your truck when you arrived and before you could get your "land legs" back, we were all asking to see your Johnson

(M1941 Johnson rifle, you pervs :D )
    I was having flashbacks to my eighth grade locker room!! B)