Home Main Category General Firearms

Old school Model 60. New grips...

GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
I've shown this gun before here.  I got it from a friend of the family who was a Detective in NY and this was his duty gun.  His kids have no interest in firearms so dad just showed up at my door and asked if I'd like to have it.  My intent is to have his shield laser engraved on it someday and his nickname "Big Blue" on it too.  He was my FILs best friend for over 30 years and I now have my FILs 36 and this model 60.  The two guns will never be apart as long as I'm alive.

I wanted to dress it up a little but keep it in the style of his day and he did tell me that Stag was a very popular grip when he was in the force and he wanted to get them for this gun but somehow he never got around to it.  Well she's in stags now.  :)

I think before I check out every gun I own might end up with stag, ivory, horn or bone grips on them.  I just love the way they look.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Looks good. I've not seen many with fancy grips.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    edited April 2020 #3
    Looks good. I've not seen many with fancy grips.
    Thanks!  I remember many of my FILs buddies were NYC detectives (These union guys stick together) and saw a lot of them with stag and MOP back in the day.  Most of them, like this one, saw VERY LITTLE range time if any.  This one came to me with two 1970s vintage boxes of "Target Wadcutters" which were also very popular non-issued ammo back then, and guess what?, only 5 rounds missing from one of the boxes...  :D
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,573 Senior Member
    I tried to find stags for my Model 36, but couldn't find any because mine is a square butt. Plenty of RBs.  I think they look great, even on my less than ideal finish of my old 36.  The J-frames  didn't get shot much until Pachmayer grips came out, so most older Js are in good mechanical shape.  I won't put rubber grips on my old gun.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Gene L said:
    I tried to find stags for my Model 36, but couldn't find any because mine is a square butt. Plenty of RBs.  I think they look great, even on my less than ideal finish of my old 36.  The J-frames  didn't get shot much until Pachmayer grips came out, so most older Js are in good mechanical shape.  I won't put rubber grips on my old gun.
    Try eBay if you are still looking.  Stag has gotten pricey but there are a fair amount of beautiful ones for square butt J frames on the site right now.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,040 Senior Member
    That looks really good.  Thumbs up!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,452 Senior Member
    Good on ya. 
    I personally don’t like the way antler looks on guns or knives. Oh well. No loss to anyone. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,538 Senior Member
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,538 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Good on ya. 
    I personally don’t like the way antler looks on guns or knives. Oh well. No loss to anyone. 
    Here you go....

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,123 Senior Member
    great revolver pic
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,134 Senior Member
    Looks good
    I kind of lean the way Zee does, a nice dark wood would be my choice, but then they wouldnt stand out 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    JKP said:
    Zee said:
    Good on ya. 
    Here you go....

Zee said:
    Good on ya. 
    I HATE you... 🤬
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    I love walnut and blue, but I could get used to one in the family wearing some bone, Ivory, or Stag.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.