Home Main Category General Firearms

FAL magazine repairs

Elk creekElk creek Senior MemberPosts: 7,371 Senior Member
I bought some “dinged and dented” FAL magazines that have good floor plates, followers and springs. I’m going to try to hammer out the dents and make some functioning mags. They were $10 a mag so no real big loss. It will be a fun project. More to follow. 

Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.

Replies

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,371 Senior Member
    edited April 2020 #2
    These are the sellers photos, I didn’t buy all of those!🤣
    I should get them in a week or so. 
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Those look like they would be easy dents to hammer out.  Good score!
    GunNut said:
    Those look like they would be easy dents to hammer out.  Good score!
    Should be. I asked them to pick some “better” ones, but we will see....
    im looking forward to the project. 
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
     All those mags in the pics and you didn't buy them all :open_mouth:

Oh well, at least the dents are outside in and not the other eay around.....
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,142 Senior Member
    They go for what 25 bucks a piece?  Even if you need to cannibalize a few you still come out ahead.  Good find
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 said:
    They go for what 25 bucks a piece?  Even if you need to cannibalize a few you still come out ahead.  Good find
    Yep! I bet I can get them rolling
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,575 Senior Member
     All those mags in the pics and you didn't buy them all :open_mouth:

Oh well, at least the dents are outside in and not the other eay around.....
    The outside dents are also on the inside!  I'm sure these can be fixed but they'll have to be hammered from the inside. (I guess.)  Any ideas on how this is done?  Maybe the won't affect feeding the way they are.  That would be ideal.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Used to be tools for mounting bike and motorcycle tires. They were a steel rod with heavy steel spoon shapes on the ends. If the mags could be set on a flat board with the bases, springs and followers removed. "Maybe," one could sight the dent by looking through the box, and press on it with the tire tool???
    Elk creek said:
    That's a good plan.  I've repaired a lot of mags in my day and if you use a little. ingenuity and improvise you can be very successful and get excellent results.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,575 Senior Member
    Thank God for the internet.  If I had to figure it out on my own, for the side dents I would have removed springs, etc. drilled a small hole opposite the dent, insert a flat piece in the inside over the dent, take a flat punch and pound the dent flat.  Then repair the drill hole with epoxy, or just cover it with tape. My make-it-work-best -you-can method.  Any method should be a good project during lockdown.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Gene L said:
    Thank God for the internet.  If I had to figure it out on my own, for the side dents I would have removed springs, etc. drilled a small hole opposite the dent, insert a flat piece in the inside over the dent, take a flat punch and pound the dent flat.  Then repair the drill hole with epoxy, or just cover it with tape. My make-it-work-best -you-can method.  Any method should be a good project during lockdown.
    I have a brass bar that is going to serve this purpose very well! It’s going to be a one stop tool. I’m going to cut a slot for the feel lips bevel one edge to match the curve..... we will see 
    You can do it. You can fix them, rebuild them, refurbish them. Give them a new lease on life. Answering the call. Heroic work.....
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
    It can be done; local Army armorers did it all the time using some "L"-shaped tools made out of long screwdrivers and tight-fitting wood blocks they'd hammer into the mag bodies. With a little skill, ingenuity, practice and time you can return badly dinged and even crushed mags back into working condition. Good luck!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,205 Senior Member
    Call an auto body shop, there are folks that massage out dents out there, I am sure there is a video and tools available.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Antonio said:
    It can be done; local Army armorers did it all the time using some "L"-shaped tools made out of long screwdrivers and tight-fitting wood blocks they'd hammer into the mag bodies. With a little skill, ingenuity, practice and time you can return badly dinged and even crushed mags back into working condition. Good luck!
    I’m looking forward to the challenge!
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Call an auto body shop, there are folks that massage out dents out there, I am sure there is a video and tools available.
    I have my ideas of what I need... I’m from Wyoming, I can make something work! I drove 60 miles with bailing wire holding a Chevy pickups steering input shaft together (they had a rubber bushing that was completely gone on a ranch truck) I’m. resourceful😉  
    So after a week with no movement on the USPS tracking numbers I called the supplier to ask when they ship. Well she shipped them but they went nowhere..... apparently. After a few call I have another set of mags sipping tomorrow, hopefully. 
    So they're not all fixed yet???
    No.  I’m good, but not foxy things in the future good.....🤣😂
    All right here goes. 

The first batch of the magazines kits was “lost” by the post office, as I Was told by the USPS. Well they showed up yesterday! I checked the tracking number and the only post office to scan it was my local post office! Strange. Oh well. I called the company I bought the mags from and told them what had happened, and I get, “I either need the money of the mags back.” “Ok, no problem I’ll send them out as soon as I get them.” “I’ll be watching for them.” I’m sure they will. 

Anyway Three of the four mags took a little tapping to get some very minor dents out. It took about 10 min a mag. The last one was a mixed bag of pure crap! a follower that wouldn’t fit, same with the dented bent floor plate. The mag body was torn at the leading edge in front of the feed lips. That one is not repairable and the parts do me no good, even the spring is not comparable with any other FAL mag I have. Oh well 13.50 a mag ain’t bad.... 

after all that I’m not doing business with them again. They misrepresented the magazines and  were jerks about the return of the second shipment... she also lied to the post office about its  value. The postmaster told me they valued it at 200 bucks.... I kindly corrected them. 

Sorry no photos, will get some up tomorrow. 
    Its like a magazine adventure.

The USPS has been in rapid decline for a long time. At least two to three of my very important correspondences get completely lost annually. I hate to see it go like that, but I can't stop it.

At least you can say I fixed these magazines personally, and kept this rifle alive.
    3 of the 4 are done. One is not worth fixing. 
    Its like a magazine adventure.

The USPS has been in rapid decline for a long time. At least two to three of my very important correspondences get completely lost annually. I hate to see it go like that, but I can't stop it.

At least you can say I fixed these magazines personally, and kept this rifle alive.
    Yes I can! The post office needs a serious overhaul!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,142 Senior Member
    Too bad the company acted that way
    At least you have some good mags without breaking the bank
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    Elk creek said:

Don't you have a replacement shipment still on the way?  Swap out the irreparable one with one from the replacement shipment, Duh!
    Elk creek said:

Don't you have a replacement shipment still on the way?  Swap out the irreparable one with one from the replacement shipment, Duh!
    Yeah this!!!
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member

Karma.  😆
    That's all I got.

Paul
    Elk creek said:

The way she went on about getting them back or me paying for the second shipment.  Her lying to her local post office  as to the value of the package to get more money from them,  and the few dealings I’ve had over the phone all tell me to RUN. Remember this is all over $40 bucks, FORTY BUCKS! Any other company worth their salt would have taken care of this. Even my wife is shocked they just didn’t say keep the second shipment and a thank you. A few more projects for some decent mags is not worth the aggravation!

So with that said:
    J and C Sales of Thompson Ohio will no longer get a dime of my money. Not. One. Dime.