Home Main Category Clubhouse

Group activities with fellow forum members

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 8,227 Senior Member
Jeff mentioned a group dive in another thread, and it got me to thinking about some of the group activities I've enjoyed with fellow forum members.  I thought it would be fun to mention those I've participated in, and ask others to do the same.

The first I remember was a group shoot about 20 years ago with Six-Gun (Luis), SakoDude (Tom), Milehighshooter (Dan) and his late brother Steve (can't remember his forum name).  We met at a campground just west of Sulpher Hot Springs in Colorado, enjoyed some shooting at a public range, and lots of good company.  I can't say for sure, but I think it was the first such gathering exclusively of forum members, and even predates Teach's annual gathering.  A good time was had by all, and it was great to meet those guys.

Since then, I've made more hunting trips (antelope, deer, elk and prairie dog) with Linefinder (Mike) than I can count.  Damn it, Mike, I miss those trips.

There was also fly fishing excursions with Mike and Luis.  Luis and I damn near froze our butts off trying to catch trout during a spring snow storm.  He caught one little 8" rainbow, and I got skunked.  Still, I think he got the fly fishing bug from it.  I had already caught it.

There's been antelope hunts with Mosseybuck (Paul), Mike, Dan and Steve,  as well as an elk hunt with Paul.  On that elk hunt, we hooked up with Dan, Chiro (Scott) and JBOhio (Joe) for an evening of fellowship.  Scott got a nice bull, but the rest of us got skunked.  Paul and I didn't even see an elk.  But, that's elk hunting.

The last one was nearly two years ago when Luis, Dan and I made a trip to southeastern Montana to hunt deer.  That was a great hunt (Thanks, Luis).  The only bad part is that I spent more time driving than I did hunting.

I hope I'll get to make another post about another group activity one of these days.  I will never forget these.
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,464 Senior Member
    edited April 2020 #2
    I have gone hunting with Ernie a few times. 

Antelope/Muley in Wyoming.
    Whitetail/Pigs in Texas.
    Exotics in Texas. 

He spent a week with me in west Texas shooting as well. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    edited April 2020 #3
    Been to SHOT Show with Enzo. 

Shot 3-Gun with Enzo. 

He came to Texas to shoot with me. 

I think he came to a bolt gun comp with me once as well. 
    Have shared a meal with a few others as well. But, that’s not really an “activity”. 
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Have shared a meal with a few others as well. But, that’s not really an “activity”. 

That counts.  Eating is definitely an activity.  For some of us a very important activity.
    The only forum member I have met in person is Diver43 a couple of years ago when I was on a business trip in his area.  All we did was meet up and talk, but I enjoyed it.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    I forgot to mention that I shared a glass of port with Orchidman (Alec).  He flew in to Denver, and stopped by my house on his way to Tennessee to attend Teach's meet and greet.  Paul (Mosseybuck) joined us.  
    Jerry

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,970 Senior Member
    edited April 2020 #8
    - Been to the SE Shoot a few times, always an enjoyable event with great people. He-who-shall-not-be-discussed and Miss Mary are grand folks, regardless of what may or may not have been reflected in forum behavior. 

- Been shooting and otherwise rabble-rousing with Eli on multiple occasions, associated with the SE shoot and otherwise. 

- Been hunting with Paul, and he's also taken my father and I to dinner and put me up at his house when I was in that part of the world. 

- Gone shooting, eating, and BSing with Big Chief, Bullsi, MakeMyDay, GunNut, a gent who's handle escapes me, Elk, and others. Always great. 

- Went hunting with Big Dan once. I was also able to meet him under pretty entertaining unconventional methods once as well. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,551 Senior Member
    We had a great time at the Colorado get together Jerry mentioned. There was another guy went by Freeze as I recall, had a nice collection of hand cannons. My first experience with a 480 Ruger and 454 Cassull.
    i meet up and shot with a couple of the Wisconsin guys,Bklysen, and ScottD.
    met CoolGunGuy once. All great people!!
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Been to SHOT Show with Enzo. 

Shot 3-Gun with Enzo. 

He came to Texas to shoot with me. 

I think he came to a bolt gun comp with me once as well. 
    Yes I did.  That was a lot of fun to watch, thanks for having us.  Kim loved it.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,142 Senior Member
    Lets see,  have been to the SE Shoot 5 times, always a Great time.  GunNut lived down here for a while so met up with him and BigDan for a few gunshows, Nut for fishing, shooting, dinner, and just hung out before he moved.  Met Jay while visiting my Son in El Paso and Jaywapti stopped by the house while he was down here and I spent part of a day at his while in his area.  Going way way back I went shooting with Cappi and marinefighter, the guy who shot himself, both long gone from the forum.  Besides at the Shoot got together with BigChief and got to see his extensive gun collection.  He just kept pulling out surplus rifles and wheelguns. We would sit around drink coffee and talk about guns and you guys here. I also met a late member for lunch in Texas but I feel bad cause cant remember his name.  He worked for I think Customs and had the toe issue. And hung out with 10Canyon. Hope to get to shoot with hime one of these days.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Outside of the couple of times I've been to the SE Shoot...

As Zee said, we've been together a few times gun related, several times socially and one afternoon fishing trip.  Him Bream and I even put away a bucket of Coronas on a rooftop by the beach just north of Daytona.  At the SHOT show we met Dan Johnson! 

I've also met Knitepoet and his lovely missus, Big Dan at a gunshow or two (that guy can find Gold anywhere), Big Chief and SS3 at the range.  Spent a few days hanging with Bream and spend some great quality time with Diver 43 and his lovely wife shooting with him and socializing as couples and I still see occasionally when I'm in town for business.  Also met Wizard and Jay and his awesome wife while in Florida

I also spent quite a bit of time with JunkCollector while living in the Northeast.  We went shooting with the kids a few times, gunstore raiding and even got a little hunting in.  

I even had a few beers will bullsi1911 in New York City of all places.

I'm SURE I have missed a few folks but they all have one thing in common, they are exceptional people and my life is better for having met them.

Diver43 said:
    And hung out with 10Canyon. Hope to get to shoot with hime one of these days.
    I used to be in your area about once a month, but my role in my company has changed a little.  Now instead of doing mostly training I lead a three man team that could be best described as a factory technical services CSI team.  We travel North America going to problem job sites to determine what the problem is and issue corrective action.  To quote from a movie "I'm the one they call when things go wrong, and things have indeed gone wrong".  Still would like to meet up and go shooting with you if we can ever manage it.

Tom,  I had forgot about Freeze.  Thanks for the reminder.  Yet another nice guy.

Diver, the Texas customs guy was probably WSUTLIVE, aka Billy Chuck.  He was a very interesting person, and not one to hold back on his view of the world.  Sadly, he passed away some time ago.

I can honestly say that every forum member I have met has been great..  A number of them have spent the night at my house and are welcome back any time.  I would dearly love to meet some of those I haven't had the pleasure to meet.  Maybe one of these days...
    Jerry

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,142 Senior Member
    Tom,  I had forgot about Freeze.  Thanks for the reminder.  Yet another nice guy.

Diver, the Texas customs guy was probably WSUTLIVE, aka Billy Chuck.  He was a very interesting person, and not one to hold back on his view of the world.  Sadly, he passed away some time ago.

I can honestly say that every forum member I have met has been great..  A number of them have spent the night at my house and are welcome back any time.  I would dearly love to meet some of those I haven't had the pleasure to meet.  Maybe one of these days...
    Yup, felt bad cause I totally forgot his name.  In person he was so different than his persona on here.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    lean and I rode in a car driven by that flower guy from NZ--------it was a white knuckle ride.  :#  
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,911 Senior Member
    GunNut said:

Big Chief and SS3 at the range.
    If you're talking about the time at the public range in the Ocala Forest, in FL, you left me out. When I got done with what I was doing on the firing line, I came out to the parking lot and you were there talking with Big Chief and SS3. I have been to the SE Shoot and met a large number of members. I don't remember all of them but the very few I have had a conversation with. I also met up with Jaywapti twice. Once to help him with a computer issue and once we met at his Rifle club and did some shooting for a couple of hours. I also met with Colt Roy a couple of times in Daytona Beach to party with his biker club buddies in Daytona.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    GunNut said:

Big Chief and SS3 at the range.
    If you're talking about the time at the public range in the Ocala Forest, in FL, you left me out. When I got done with what I was doing on the firing line, I came out to the parking lot and you were there talking with Big Chief and SS3. I have been to the SE Shoot and met a large number of members. I don't remember all of them but the very few I have had a conversation with. I also met up with Jaywapti twice. Once to help him with a computer issue and once we met at his Rifle club and did some shooting for a couple of hours. I also met with Colt Roy a couple of times in Daytona Beach to party with his biker club buddies in Daytona.
    As I said, I KNEW I had forgotten someone.  Sorry brother, always a pleasure to spend time with you and looking forward to the next time!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,118 Senior Member
    edited April 2020 #19
    Had coffee with Kansashunter and Sixgun has been up a couple of times to go fishing...

Spent time with Jerm, KMT and TJSVET...

Made it to the SE Shoot once...had a great time
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,749 Senior Member
    Hunted antelope, deer, elk, pdogs, and trout with JerryBobCo more times than I can count. If you have the opportunity to hunt with Jerry, you should. There's not a better hunting partner in the world. Not saying the rest of the list are lesser, but Jerry and I spent a whole lot of time together. He never let me down regardless of the situation, and I hope he feels the same.

Scootertrash.....elk, pdogs, and benchrest comps. Died in 2011. Miss him like a brother. He could be a bit abrasive at times, but a simply stated " FU ,you're not God" usually calmed things down.

SixGun....pdogs and antelope. We killed a ton of pdogs over the years, and stalked the spookiest antelope I've ever seen. If you're going to hunt with SixGun.....you better be in shape and eat your Wheaties beforehand. Not kidding. I'm really not kidding. He's the only guy I've ever met that is willing to chase antelope afoot.

There's a few more I'll add, but I'm tired of typing.......

Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,664 Senior Member

May 2004... Me, Caleb, 22x9, Varmintmist, 2Bullets....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,118 Senior Member
    Sixgun and Me on the Muskegon

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,204 Senior Member
    JBOhio shot the bull, I am still a bull-less yooper of sorts. DeanC is a cousin and has been off on Facebook for a long time, he introduced me here, another cousin lurks on here, met DocB, Minnesota shooter, SmithCoronaA3-03, MileHighShooter, JBOhio, Dan Chamberlain, JerryBobCo, and Mosseybuck. Hunted with MHS 2X and JBOhio 2X. Not a bad guy in the bunch, had fun with everyone.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,970 Senior Member
    I can't believe I forgot this! I had the distinct pleasure of getting a helicopter ride with none other than ADRidge! It was 8 or 9 years ago at an airshow we were both working. 

Even if I'd known then what I know now about Robinson R44's, I would have still gone. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    Mike, don't forget the two 400+ yard shots you and Paul made on a couple of goats.  That was some impressive shooting.  
    Jerry

• Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,412 Senior Member
    A few years back I was in Denver and dinner with Dan (Milehighshooter).  Great meet and greet!  
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • 2Aman2Aman Member Posts: 332 Member
    I had the pleasure of working with ADRidge (Drew) at a gun store/shooting range outside of Dallas and we had a great time Striper fishing on Lake Texoma. He was an old soul, a great friend and is truly missed. 
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,044 Senior Member
    I have met with...

Big Chief, SS3, GunNut, Knitepoet, and Kalrog (he has been gone for a while now, but was the starter of the Bloody Nipples thread).

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • mosseybuckmosseybuck Member Posts: 557 Senior Member
    One thing on my bucket list is the SE Shoot, in my home state of Tennessee. May be delayed even longer now due to Virus.

I first met JerryBobCo and Linefinder on my introduction to goat hunting and had an absolute Blast! The next day after they had to return home I got my first buck and he was a nice trophy and good eating. We hunted together a couple of years later and Linefinder and I both got goats at over 400 yards. That was the longest shot I've made in the field. It was even more special because Mike and I both got successful long shots. 

Jerry and I met up with JBOhio, Chiro, and MileHighShooter a couple of years later for an Elk hunt gathering. We had a fine evening of camaraderie sharing a meal and some of Dan's craft beer. JBOhhio had already tagged a nice bull but Jerry and I didn't see any that trip.

Had a great visit at Jerry's house some time later and Alec stopped by on his way to the SE shoot. What a great guy he is in person, really glad to have met him. And Jerry and his wife Kathy have been perfect hosts on my visits with them.

Have not been able to hook up on a couple of other meets and regret those misses. I've enjoyed meeting with a few members. They have all been as sociable as if I had known them for a lifetime. It really adds to the experience of being a member of this forum!
    USMC '59-'65, NRA Lifer, Tennessee Squire
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 1,319 Senior Member
    Tight knit group. Explains the attitude towards outsiders and newbies at times.
    We've been conditioned to believe that obedience is virtuous and voting is freedom- 
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
    I managed to meet both Enzo and Ron in FL some years ago. Spent a couple of great evenings and nights dining and having a few drinks along with the wives who seem to be still in contact via Facebook (for me that social media platform is Satan). Excellent people! 

Hope meeting them again someday along with newer forum members. Sadly due  to the current state of things that might take a while.