Home Main Category General Firearms

Movies that made you invest or at least REALLY want certain guns...

GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
My two latest are easy.  The Siege of Jadotville made me want a FAL for a long time and of course the Raiders of the Lost Arc revolver.  Both itches have been scratched lately.  Any big loop lever guns or mares legs owners/unfulfilled lovers out there because of Sons of Katie Elder or Dead or Alive?  B)

Replies

• Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,569 Senior Member
    edited April 2020 #2
    Terminator made me want a lever action shotgun.

https://youtu.be/LpAqQwG8HxM
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    I wanted a big loop lever action like that TV show.

I, also, wanted a lever action shooting the same cartridge as my revolver like the cowboys.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    So did you guys end up indulging your “wants”.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,502 Senior Member
    edited May 2020 #5
    Dirty Harry!! 29 Smith!! Oh yeah!! B)

Do ya feel lucky, punk!!
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,044 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    My two latest are easy.  The Siege of Jadotville made me want a FAL for a long time and of course the Raiders of the Lost Arc revolver.  Both itches have been scratched lately.  Any big loop lever guns or mares legs owners/unfulfilled lovers out there because of Sons of Katie Elder or Dead or Alive?  B)
    Dead or Alive?

pfft.... “Firefly”

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,575 Senior Member
    Firefly/Serenity (2005) are great!  Mal's handgun is a hybrid of a Krag,  IIRC. Weapons in the colonies in general are supposed to be obsolete hand-me-downs.  Also, in the movie early on when they're robbing the bank, one of the citizens who was disarmed had a Type 94 Nambu.  A nice obscure touch.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,551 Senior Member
    I do have the Winchester Wrangler 16”carbine with large loop chambered in 44 mag. It’s a hoot!!
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,739 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    Dirty Harry!! 29 Smith!! Oh yeah!! B)

Do ya feel lucky, punk!!
    What he said. 😎
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,551 Senior Member
    https://images.app.goo.gl/mZhpor8mHaBTPW41A

stock photo since mines buried at the moment
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    So did you guys end up indulging your “wants”.
    Never happened 
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,349 Senior Member
    Not a movie, but TV series “The Young Riders” posted in a previous thread. Navy cap and ball revolver used by “Hickok.”  Chopped fire wood and mowed lawns to get it. 

Nobody has mentioned the Quigley Sharps yet. If they weren’t so damn expensive... or, if I didn’t have other adulting stuff to spend my money on..
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    The genuine hawken gun Robert Redford  aka Jeremiah Johnson pried from the frozen dead hands of Hatchet Jack. Its a good rifle an kilt the bar that kilt me. 

I got two. 
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,371 Senior Member
    Jay said:
    Not a movie, but TV series “The Young Riders” posted in a previous thread. Navy cap and ball revolver used by “Hickok.”  Chopped fire wood and mowed lawns to get it. 

Nobody has mentioned the Quigley Sharps yet. If they weren’t so damn expensive... or, if I didn’t have other adulting stuff to spend my money on..
    I wanted a sharps bad after seeing that movie. Then I got a Shiloh Sharps some years back. It really didn’t live up to the mystique for me. I didn’t want to load black powder so after a chat with Shiloh they said “we won’t warrantee any rifle that has shot smokeless powder” I was over it.  Being a gun nerd all my life I thought the way guns were portrayed in movies were a bit off.   
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    GunNut said:
    Dead or Alive?

pfft.... “Firefly”

Yeah baby!!!
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,349 Senior Member
    edited May 2020 #16
    The genuine hawken gun Robert Redford  aka Jeremiah Johnson pried from the frozen dead hands of Hatchet Jack. Its a good rifle an kilt the bar that kilt me. 

I got two. 
    You make a fine target, pilgrim.  

I missed a nice elk once with one of those “50 caliber Hawkins.”  Double set trigger, cold gloved trigger finger and a bit of adrenaline... 

Skin that one, pilgrim, and I’ll get you another...
  • BrazilianbatmanBrazilianbatman Posts: 52 Member
    She will be mine... oh yes.... she will be mine
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,327 Senior Member
    Aliens - because an 870 slung under a Thompson is just a thing that needs to happen.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    edited May 2020 #19
    Gene L said:
    Firefly/Serenity (2005) are great!  Mal's handgun is a hybrid of a Krag,  IIRC. Weapons in the colonies in general are supposed to be obsolete hand-me-downs.  Also, in the movie early on when they're robbing the bank, one of the citizens who was disarmed had a Type 94 Nambu.  A nice obscure touch.
    I started watching “Firefly” again (with my son for the first time), and saw that the “Alliance Agent” that shot Kaylee in the first episode did so with an Astra A400.  Would have been fun to have been the armorer on that show.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,970 Senior Member
    I'd like to put together a mostly correct rendition of the Marlin lever gun (1895 SBL in .45-70) that Owen Grady (Chris Pratt's character) carried in "Jurassic World." My only deviation would be to mount the Leupold Scope Scout correctly in Leupold QD rings. 

I want to recreate the Indiana Jones revolver. I'm just waiting for a M1917 that's already been butchered to pop up. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Terminator made me want a lever action shotgun.

https://youtu.be/LpAqQwG8HxM
    Yeah, that.  I never got one, though, and don't expect  I will.  Still, a cool gun.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
    "Star Wars", "Lawrence of Arabia" and some others drove me to own a Mauser C-96 "Broomhandle" since I was a small kid. Managed to own a few and they're probably my favorite pistols to shoot.

"Combat!" did the same about Mauser rifles, Luger pistols and all US infantry small arms ever depicted there. Less the MGs & SMGs I can pretty much say "check!".

Same for Westerns and their guns, so have a few "modern" lever guns and SA revolvers in my collection.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,502 Senior Member
    Sgt. Saunders was a bad ****! 
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,327 Senior Member
    Firefly/Serenity and the first Terminator movie also heavily featured an Armalite AR-180.  I've handled a couple & fired one, but sadly, my date of birth combined with California residency has made owning one an unlikely thing.  Too bad - they're pretty slick. :'(
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

I got two. 
    Here's a picture of the REAL gun from the Cody Museum!  It is a .56 Hawken.  I think I MIGHT have a new project  :#

https://www.fieldandstream.com/blast-from-past-jeremiah-johnsons-hawken/

"John Johnston’s Hawken and Bowie knife. John Johnston was the real historical figure the movie “Jeremiah Johnson” was based upon. The real Johns(t)on, we now learn, didn’t kill Crow or eat their livers. Or we don’t think so anyway. There are lots of stories about Johnston (sometimes spelled Johnson) and it’s hard to separate truth from myth. We know he was born John Garrison in Little York, New Jersey in 1824. He went to sea, then later enlisted in and deserted from the Navy during his service in the war with Mexico. At some point he went west, where he fought Indians with the Army, trapped, traded, mined and sold whiskey and was a deputy sheriff. Johnston was big, tough and had a violent temper. Legends grew up around him."
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,464 Senior Member
    The Dark Tower revolvers. 

I had one on Buds  that was almost exact. Now I can’t find it or remember who made it. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee said:

I had one on Buds  that was almost exact. Now I can’t find it or remember who made it. 
    The actual props sold in London as part of the whole outfit for 4,000 pounds.  Here are the guns (non functioning resin casts).

They are based on the Remington 1858 black powder frame conversion.  Taylor and Uberti still make those guns.  

https://www.uberti-usa.com/new-army-conversion-revolver

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,739 Senior Member
    Terminator's AMT Hardballer
    Practical had nothing to do with it. It's the cool factor. 😎
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,985 Senior Member
    How about a 4 bbl side-by-side?

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:

The actual props sold in London as part of the whole outfit for 4,000 pounds.  Here are the guns (non functioning resin casts).

They are based on the Remington 1858 black powder frame conversion.  Taylor and Uberti still make those guns.  

https://www.uberti-usa.com/new-army-conversion-revolver

If they only made them like they were in the movie.  Swing out Cyl. That uses moon clips!

That movie was such a frigging disappointment.  Not just the bad gun stuff, but just how off it was from the books.   And casting Idris Elba as Roland- how would they work the whole “Etta hates Roland because he is a white devil?” In the later books?  

Don’t get me on a rant.  It was the worst Stephen King movie adaptation since Lawnmower Man.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,575 Senior Member
    GunNut said:

I got two. 
    Here's a picture of the REAL gun from the Cody Museum!  It is a .56 Hawken.  I think I MIGHT have a new project  :#

https://www.fieldandstream.com/blast-from-past-jeremiah-johnsons-hawken/

"John Johnston’s Hawken and Bowie knife. John Johnston was the real historical figure the movie “Jeremiah Johnson” was based upon. The real Johns(t)on, we now learn, didn’t kill Crow or eat their livers. Or we don’t think so anyway. There are lots of stories about Johnston (sometimes spelled Johnson) and it’s hard to separate truth from myth. We know he was born John Garrison in Little York, New Jersey in 1824. He went to sea, then later enlisted in and deserted from the Navy during his service in the war with Mexico. At some point he went west, where he fought Indians with the Army, trapped, traded, mined and sold whiskey and was a deputy sheriff. Johnston was big, tough and had a violent temper. Legends grew up around him."
    I read the book long ago, believe it was Crow Killer.  He was called Liver eating Johnson because of reports he ate the livers of Crow Indians he'd killed, but in that book at least, no one ever saw him doing so.  Possibly he relied on these tales to boost his reputation.

One thing I did find fault with in that movie is the Character reference to the Hawken he found with the dead man as a ".30 caliber."
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.