Home Main Category General Firearms

Movies that made you invest or at least REALLY want certain guns...

Replies

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,552 Senior Member
    I’m all set for my “ Schofield Kid” alter ego as well should he decide to come out.
  • 2Aman2Aman Member Posts: 332 Member
    Lonesome Dove, as a kid watching that I was dying for a brass receiver Henry rifle!!!
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    edited May 2020 #34
    Spk said:
    Terminator's AMT Hardballer
    Practical had nothing to do with it. It's the cool factor. 😎
    The Longslide and the laser. 😥
    Grail gun.
    Is that really what it took to put a laser on a 1911 back then?
    I remember a laser in science class in high school.  Size of an electric pencil sharpener.

That's all I got.

Paul
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    My two latest are easy.  The Siege of Jadotville made me want a FAL for a long time and of course the Raiders of the Lost Arc revolver.  Both itches have been scratched lately.  Any big loop lever guns or mares legs owners/unfulfilled lovers out there because of Sons of Katie Elder or Dead or Alive?  B)

What about Chuck Conners and "The Rifleman?"
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    edited May 2020 #36
    c
    As far as my choice of movies that made me want a certain gun, The Longest Day-M1 Garand.
    The Rifleman or any one of countless western movies and TV shows with Winchester Lever Guns-my Winchester 94. Yeah most were '92s or older lever guns but they all in my mind default to the '94.

Now I'm wondering. John Wayne portrayed an officer in the Movie. Officers usually carried the carbine or a 1911. I'm wondering if some, especially bigger men, carried Garands as well? In my mind especially as a kid, when I first saw the Day back in the early '60s the cool factor of a Garand was off the chart!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,739 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    How about a 4 bbl side-by-side?

Since we're talking about Hollywood movie guns.

And why not?

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    edited May 2020 #38
    GunNut said:
    The genuine hawken gun Robert Redford  aka Jeremiah Johnson pried from the frozen dead hands of Hatchet Jack. Its a good rifle an kilt the bar that kilt me. 

I got two. 
    Here's a picture of the REAL gun from the Cody Museum!  It is a .56 Hawken.  I think I MIGHT have a new project  :#

https://www.fieldandstream.com/blast-from-past-jeremiah-johnsons-hawken/

"John Johnston’s Hawken and Bowie knife. John Johnston was the real historical figure the movie “Jeremiah Johnson” was based upon. The real Johns(t)on, we now learn, didn’t kill Crow or eat their livers. Or we don’t think so anyway. There are lots of stories about Johnston (sometimes spelled Johnson) and it’s hard to separate truth from myth. We know he was born John Garrison in Little York, New Jersey in 1824. He went to sea, then later enlisted in and deserted from the Navy during his service in the war with Mexico. At some point he went west, where he fought Indians with the Army, trapped, traded, mined and sold whiskey and was a deputy sheriff. Johnston was big, tough and had a violent temper. Legends grew up around him."
    Gene L said:
    GunNut said:
    The genuine hawken gun Robert Redford  aka Jeremiah Johnson pried from the frozen dead hands of Hatchet Jack. Its a good rifle an kilt the bar that kilt me. 

I got two. 
    Here's a picture of the REAL gun from the Cody Museum!  It is a .56 Hawken.  I think I MIGHT have a new project  :#

"John Johnston’s Hawken and Bowie knife. John Johnston was the real historical figure the movie “Jeremiah Johnson” was based upon. The real Johns(t)on, we now learn, didn’t kill Crow or eat their livers. Or we don’t think so anyway. There are lots of stories about Johnston (sometimes spelled Johnson) and it’s hard to separate truth from myth. We know he was born John Garrison in Little York, New Jersey in 1824. He went to sea, then later enlisted in and deserted from the Navy during his service in the war with Mexico. At some point he went west, where he fought Indians with the Army, trapped, traded, mined and sold whiskey and was a deputy sheriff. Johnston was big, tough and had a violent temper. Legends grew up around him."
    I read the book long ago, believe it was Crow Killer.  He was called Liver eating Johnson because of reports he ate the livers of Crow Indians he'd killed, but in that book at least, no one ever saw him doing so.  Possibly he relied on these tales to boost his reputation.

One thing I did find fault with in that movie is the Character reference to the Hawken he found with the dead man as a ".30 caliber."
    I wish I had time to visit that museum. I could drive there in a long day. There's a museum in Cheyenne had another one of his rifles. A 50 Hawken converted to a 50/70gov trapdoor.

I read Crow Killer. That book is a very tall tale. I'd like to believe it straight up, but it's hard to reach that high.  I did like the book, and I kept it.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,569 Senior Member
    edited May 2020 #39
    I can’t believe nobody wanted the Lone Ranger’s pistols!
    I can’t believe nobody wanted the Lone Ranger’s pistols!
    I did want his silver bullets.🤑
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• AxeAxe Member Posts: 421 Member
    I grew up on Lethal Weapon movies, so naturally going into the police academy and having a limited selection of service weapon options, I went with the Beretta 92F. Love that pistol and still have it 30 plus years later. 
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,143 Senior Member
    When I was a kid, my father got me cap guns that were replicas of the long barrel   45s of Wyatt Earp.  Would love to have real ones, 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,372 Senior Member
    The first rifle that really called to me was “killdeer” in the last of the Mohicans....( I read the book)  then I saw it in the Daniel day Lewis movie.... it was the inspiration for me to build a flintlock. That rifle was sold to keep me afloat during some dark days in my life. It was to only flint I have had or shot.... I might make another one day...

just thinking about it, man I miss that rifle. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 2,036 Senior Member
    edited May 2020 #44
    When I saw this movie I had no idea about express double barrels. I would love to hunt the dark continent for dangerous game, while carrying my H&H 470 NE!

"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    So did you guys end up indulging your “wants”.
    Never happened 
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,046 Senior Member
    I have a Rossi Ranch Hand in .357 in my safe.  It is fun as heck to shoot, and I carry it in the woods sometimes 
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,466 Senior Member
    Quigley. I’ll never own one.......but damn.......do I want one. 

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    The Outlaw Josey Wales. 

edited May 2020 #49
    Zee said:
    Quigley. I’ll never own one.......but damn.......do I want one. 

The closest I'll ever get to all that is owning the DVD! 😁

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    GunNut said:

I got two. 

Gene L said:
    GunNut said:

I got two. 

I read the book long ago, believe it was Crow Killer.  He was called Liver eating Johnson because of reports he ate the livers of Crow Indians he'd killed, but in that book at least, no one ever saw him doing so.  Possibly he relied on these tales to boost his reputation.

One thing I did find fault with in that movie is the Character reference to the Hawken he found with the dead man as a ".30 caliber."
    I wish I had time to visit that museum. I could drive there in a long day. There's a museum in Cheyenne had another one of his rifles. A 50 Hawken converted to a 50/70gov trapdoor.

I read Crow Killer. That book is a very tall tale. I'd like to believe it straight up, but it's hard to reach that high.  I did like the book, and I kept it.
    Not a trapdoor, it was a hybrid Hawken/Spencer and he stated he never liked the gun and traded it off

Here's MY fake J Johnson Hawken, but mine's a .58  B)

Looks just like the one in the movie but I'm now thinking of blackening all the metal to make it look like JJ's actual gun above.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,576 Senior Member
    edited May 2020 #51
    I got hot for a Sharps rifle after watching Quiggly.  Got an Italian one in 45-70, a fine rifle and even got some Soule sights.  Don't believe for a minute the shots Quiggly made, though.  Especially the off-hand ones, but hell, it's a mover.  But I liked the banana size bullets he wore in his belt.

Loading and shooting with BP (had to drop the powder from height to take 70 grains) and cleaning it proved too much for me, plus it took up a lot of real estate in my safe.  Sold it and took a bath but I was glad to get rid of it. 
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,118 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    GunNut said:

I got two. 

Gene L said:
    GunNut said:

I got two. 

Not a trapdoor, it was a hybrid Hawken/Spencer and he stated he never liked the gun and traded it off

Looks just like the one in the movie but I'm now thinking of blackening all the metal to make it look like JJ's actual gun above.
    Oh please...don't go halfway...just replace it all with proper browned iron furniture...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    I am still looking for a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range...

Really though, I have regretted not acquiring one of the 11mm mausers used in The Last Samurai that came up for sale 10 years ago.  Still looking for one.

"A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    Jayhawker said:
    GunNut said:
    GunNut said:

I got two. 

Gene L said:
    GunNut said:

I got two. 

Oh please...don't go halfway...just replace it all with proper browned iron furniture...
    Not a bad thought actually....  hummmm
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,958 Senior Member
    edited May 2020 #55
    Sorry Elk :)

Post image

Not saying this inspired me, because I always wanted one, but it did fan the ember and kept it hot. As a cool side note. The guy who made my bbl made the bbls for the weapons in the movie because of the quality and historic accuracy. Day Lewis liked his Pennsylvania long rifle but the studio wouldnt let him have it, so he built another one for him.

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    I held in my hands the Tomahawk he used in his first big fight scene.  Papers with provenance etc. but didn’t have the money to buy it at the time and still kicking myself for not picking it up...
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,372 Senior Member
    (Grumble grumble) stupid, damn beautiful flint locks, (grumble grumble) 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    I have had a few black powder percussion rifles in the past. Even a Lyman GP rifle I loved!
    But, I rarely shot them because of the cleaning hastle and so they always end up going down the road. 
    I’ve sent quite a few black powder guns packing because of that “clean the second you get home” crap.  The current ones will probably suffer the same fate someday except I find one of the last ones I bought... intriguing.  So I’ll probably hang on to that just because.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,958 Senior Member
    Or maybe, just swab the barrel instead of jumping through made up hoops. Just a thought.
    BP has to get wet. Swab the bore a few times with a wet (water) mop, shoot ballistol down it, and wet patch it a few times with that.
    People really go way over the top with cleaning BP. It isnt like it is radioactive waste, its has been cleaned out of rifles and smooth bores for a lot of years before Dawn was invented, and they seemed to work fine.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    edited May 2020 #61
    Or maybe, just swab the barrel instead of jumping through made up hoops. Just a thought.
    BP has to get wet. Swab the bore a few times with a wet (water) mop, shoot ballistol down it, and wet patch it a few times with that.
    People really go way over the top with cleaning BP. It isnt like it is radioactive waste, its has been cleaned out of rifles and smooth bores for a lot of years before Dawn was invented, and they seemed to work fine.
    Rifles don’t bother me much but the damn revolvers used to drive me to drink...