Home Main Category General Firearms

Meanwhile back at the Pawn Shop.....

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 22,387 Senior Member
I went to the pawn shop (Only one in town)yesterday to buy my bride some jewelry for a surprise. While I was there and trying to ignore the gun rack, something caught my attention. It was a ratty old looking bolt gun. But something about it looked familiar. Upon closer inspection I saw what it was, a 721 Remington in .30-06. I fell in love immediately. But I managed to restrain myself. Then this morning I got to thinking (Always a dangerous proposition) and I decided to try and put it on layaway. I went back this morning but it was closed until Monday. But Monday morning I'll be at their door at 10:00 A.M.
I want to rebarrel it in, you guessed it, .270 Winchester. But I want a tight twist barrel, maybe 1:8 twist, but still only 24" long and a regular sporter contour. I don't want a real heavy rifle. But I want to be able to shoot heavier bullets in it. I want cpj to shoot this off Jerms butt like he did my old Winchester Mod. 70.

Seriously, I want to shoot 170 grain bullets in it. I would like to find a place to shoot as far as 800-1000 yards with it at paper or steel. Yeah I know, the general consensus here is a .270 won't go over about 50 yards with the wind. But I want to prove that wrong, LOL!!!

Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,664 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    I went to the pawn shop (Only one in town)yesterday to buy my bride some jewelry for a surprise. While I was there and trying to ignore the gun rack, something caught my attention. It was a ratty old looking bolt gun. But something about it looked familiar. Upon closer inspection I saw what it was, a 721 Remington in .30-06. I fell in love immediately. But I managed to restrain myself. Then this morning I got to thinking (Always a dangerous proposition) and I decided to try and put it on layaway. I went back this morning but it was closed until Monday. But Monday morning I'll be at their door at 10:00 A.M.
    I want to rebarrel it in, you guessed it, .270 Winchester. But I want a tight twist barrel, maybe 1:8 twist, but still only 24" long and a regular sporter contour. I don't want a real heavy rifle. But I want to be able to shoot heavier bullets in it. I want cpj to shoot this off Jerms butt like he did my old Winchester Mod. 70.

Seriously, I want to shoot 170 grain bullets in it. I would like to find a place to shoot as far as 800-1000 yards with it at paper or steel. Yeah I know, the general consensus here is a .270 won't go over about 50 yards with the wind. But I want to prove that wrong, LOL!!!

I'll never even try to talk you out of a new ro you gun,
    The .270?  With a good tail wind you might get another 10 feet out of it
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,292 Senior Member
    Rebarreling to .270 Win. with a faster twist barrel would be good. There is a pretty good selection of .270 bullets in all weights now, so slinging some heavy ones is now a pretty viable proposition. There are some VLD bullets out there that would make that an interesting proposition for long range.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    edited May 2 #4
    I've never seen a 270win with 170gr bullets. I'd like to see a rifle thread with that mod/ammo combination.

What if the rifle is already super accurate? You know Jack O'Connor was a closet Springfield 30' fan right?
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,703 Senior Member
    Although niche, I'm certain that a .270 with a fast twist would be effective. 

I'm far more concerned about the fact that a prime motivator in this project seems to be having it fired off Jerm's butt. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,549 Senior Member
    :popcorn:
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,422 Senior Member
    All things being equal a savage would be an easy way to experiment with a fast twist 270 win. Screw the barrel on and done. 
    A 721 in good shape is going to be a collectors item, is a bit desirable. 
    IMHO
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 522 Senior Member
    edited May 3 #8
    Sounds like a good plan Mike.

I like the 721''s and 722''s
    There was a 721 in 06 at one of my stores it's tempted me.

The price and trigger were great.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,292 Senior Member
    Berger Bullets might be your huckleberry for that 170 grain bullet. They just brought out one that looks really good.

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    edited May 3 #10
    tennmike said:
    Rebarreling to .270 Win. with a faster twist barrel would be good. There is a pretty good selection of .270 bullets in all weights now, so slinging some heavy ones is now a pretty viable proposition. There are some VLD bullets out there that would make that an interesting proposition for long range.

tennmike said:

Thanks Mike, that's what I want to do with it. I'm hoping the barrel's shot out. Then I won't be tempted to keep it as a .30-06. I bought a Ruger 77 in .30-06 about about 17 years back with the idea of making a .25-06 but the damn thing shot so good I procrastated for about 5 years and even hunted with it. I did end up re-barreling it to a 9.3x62 which I'm glad I did. I have a great .30-06. It's a Remington 700 SPS. It will shoot bug hole groups and it's a hog killer extraordinaire.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,629 Senior Member
    edited May 3 #12
    Has a 722 in .257 Roberts. (Short action.) I traded it for a Savage 99 in .300.  Probably not the best deal, but the 99 was a 1941 version and pretty cherry.  
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    A 99 anything is next on my list but would prefer it be a .250.
    Well I did it. Put $100 down on layaway on it. I looked at it closer today. That rifle is light and smooth. And the metal isn't near as rough as I thought and would clean up real well with a little 0000 steel wool and some WD-40. The stock doesn't look bad either. It's bone stock, no pun intended. The stock is actually straight grain walnut. I'll strip it fix the dents with heat and rub it with BLO or Tru Oil. Give it about 5 coats sanding in between and call it good. I'm real pleased now. The lady at the pawn shop said it was the guys grandfather's who had died and left it to him. She said she knew the guy and he is a regular customer. He got in a financial tight and had other guns his grandfather left him and chose that one to sacrifice. I'm tickled pink, well ticked anyway.
    snake284 said:
    A 99 anything is next on my list but would prefer it be a .250.
    Yeah, me too.  Or .303 Savage or 30-30.  But they seldom come up for sale.
    Well, I couldn't stand it any longer and went and got the 721 out of jail. It has a Bausch and Lomb Balfor B scope, It looks like the scope was made in the 90s. It's real clear and I like the crosshair. The Trigger's a little heavy but it can be adjusted. And when I have the money I'll put a Timney on it.
    Way to go!
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,422 Senior Member
    Nicely done! 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    One question; will the replace the .270?
    See now that's what's wrong here.

New purchase, no picture?

The horror, the horror, the horror...... :'(
    edited May 9 #21
    No because when Jerm and cpj shot my Model 70 .270 at the 2017 SE Shoot Jerm and I talked about the possibility of a Long Range .270 with a tighter twist and longer barrel. I have since decided against a barrel longer than about 25 Inches and a 1:8 twist.  think, I'll go with that. This will just be another .270 in the barn. A of right now, I have 4 .30 Calibers, 3 7MMs, two .25s and one .277. If I do this I will give my old one company.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,664 Senior Member
    Pictures or it doesnt exist
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Wait you guys, I don't know how to post up pictures on this software. I never learned since the last crash.
    Click the pic option from the choices on top of the text box. Hit choose files, pull the pic from your storage. Easy as spilling hot coffee on the counter.
    Thank you Brother Earlyagain. Now to take a pic with my phone and mail it to my files.
    edited May 18 #26
    Still haven't gotten a picture but I'm waiting until I touch up the bluing on the receiver with some Oxpho Blue but she's looking real good for a 69 year old girl. Real sexy lady here. I checked her code on the left side of the barrel just in front of the receiver says she was made in August of 1950 so she's 2 1/2 years younger than me. I got the trigger down to about 2.5 to 3 pound range. I really don't want it any lower than that. At some point I want do bed the recoil lug, but not right now, I want to be relaxed and thinking clearly when I do that and I've got too much going on to be that relaxed.

Stay tuned, more updates to come.
    edited May 18 #27
    That's what's scaring me early, if it shoots real good I may leave it as is, which wouldn't be earth shattering. I only have one .270 but then I only have one .30-06 too. As much as I love .270s I also love 06s and as everybody here knows you can't ever have too many 06s. Besides, now I'm thinking I don't want to molest my old girl. I've fallen in love with her.

There'll be other bolt guns for sale in my pawn shop. That's were I got the doner for my .250 Savage rebarrel job. I found a nice Howa 1500 in .22-250. Being the .250 was the parent cartridge of the .22-250, it was a near perfect fit.

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,071 Senior Member
    What?!!  The Noble Defender of the Mighty .270 only has one?  Now that you have admitted to that you have to go ahead with your project in order to maintain your credibility.  :D  The timing may be problematic though......you will have to do a proper barrel break-in procedure and I hear chipmunks and loincloths are hard to come by right now due to COVID-19.  What does COVID have to do with it?  Well....when TP is in short supply....
    It only takes one to grow into a legend.........

Yeah you got that right early. Besides, with a cartridge as perfect as the .270 Win. you only need one.
  • gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 422 Member
    A younger guy that hunts with us sometimes bought a nice old Remington 270 and brought it to the farm to shoot it and I rode him pretty bad for a couple hours and he was really convinced he had a useless deer rifle after a while I told him that I was messing with him