Home Main Category Personal Defense

When is the first time you got your gun?

JohnnygofordreamJohnnygofordream Posts: 8 New Member
Do you remember when you got your first gun? Is it a gift you received? You bought it for self-defence cause you're living in a high-rate crime neighborhood? Or Maybe you are a gun enthusiast. 
I don't own a gun myself 'cause I haven't found a reason to convince myself to have a gun.
I would like to hear from the pros here to help me with it.

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,324 Senior Member
    Welcome!

I grew up with 'em, so can't really envision life without.

If you're on the fence, realize that it is a a lifestyle change that does represent taking a lot of personal responsibility for your safety and those around you - don't take it casually.

First thing to internalize can best be presented in a quote by one of the classic mentors of the field:

"Owning a gun does not make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician" - Jeff Cooper

Meaning that you need to learn how to competently use the thing, and familiarize yourself with its capabilities and the laws involved.

Once you get through that though, it is the ultimate expression of freedom as a prophylactic against coercion.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Im not a pro. Im an ordinary man of little importance and no notoriety.

My first gun was a rifle gifted to me by my father to hunt deer with.

I have no axe to grind.

Its very difficult for me to imagine an environment devoid of firearms. In my life they were a natural appliance that everyone had. 

If someone doesn't want to own a gun or wants to own a gun, Im indifferent about their choice.

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,113 Senior Member
    edited May 2020 #4
    Got my first BB gun at 8...16 gauge shotgun at 9...about the same time I learned to drive a tractor
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    Got my first one for Christmas when I was 14 or 15.  It was a single shot .410 ga shotgun.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Do you remember when you got your first gun? Is it a gift you received? You bought it for self-defence cause you're living in a high-rate crime neighborhood? Or Maybe you are a gun enthusiast. 
    I don't own a gun myself 'cause I haven't found a reason to convince myself to have a gun.

So why go through the trouble of signing up to a gun board?  Just curious.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,125 Senior Member
    Christmas when I was 11; I still have it.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,135 Senior Member
    When I was 18 I bought a 30-06 package rifle and scope by Remington.  Lived in the barracks so left it at a friends house.  Came back from a couple weeks in the field and went to his house. He moved and no idea where he went.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 600 Senior Member
    GunNut said:

Apparently it is no trouble to sign up to multiple gun boards and make identical posts

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
  • JohnnygofordreamJohnnygofordream Posts: 8 New Member
    GunNut said:

Well, like I said, I'm trying to look for some advice from people who own guns. I need it for self-defence. You don't want to do nothing when someone breaks in your house. I'm assuming that you're an gun enthusiast 'cause "GunNut" explains it.
    How many guns do you own if you don't mind me asking?
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    GunNut said:

Well, like I said, I'm trying to look for some advice from people who own guns. I need it for self-defence. You don't want to do nothing when someone breaks in your house. I'm assuming that you're an gun enthusiast 'cause "GunNut" explains it.
    Not nearly enough of them.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    edited May 2020 #12
    I have a friend thats into guns. None of them are kept loaded in his house. He has three german shepherds and a black lab. No one's going to break in his house.

There are several things one can do to deter burglary that are not related to gun ownership. 

There are also countless people that are prepared to answer home invasion with lethal force. 

The good thing about my freinds dogs is. They're on the job when he's not home. The down side is. Well. They're dogs. They need constant care, and make noise.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,032 Senior Member

Yes I mind you asking, its none of your business or anyone else's how many i or anyone else owns 

So Johnny Zhang I'm gonna ask you some questions, that you dont have to answer as its none of my business,
    1) Where were you born
    2) Are you an American citizen
    3) What is your occupation 

JAY

THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Welcome to the forum!
    Got my  first one as a gift from my Granddad; a .22LR/.410 shotgun when I was 6 years old. I still have it. As to shooting, I was shooting a single shot .22LR rifle at 5 years old, and only after my Dad, a Marine, was satisfied with my ability to repeat the 10 rules of gun safety and show I knew what they meant. I've shot a lot of rounds since then and went on to shotguns and pistols. They're all tools, and only as dangerous as the person operating them.
    As to your unasked question "How valuable is my life?", only you can answer that question. I value mine a good deal, and will use the most viable tool to protect myself from single or multiple threats. That happens to be a firearm of some type. And as long as bad people walk free, so shall it be.
    And my locked doors are not for my protection; they give me time to inform the person attempting to break in that they are making a HUGE mistake.

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
    I was a late bloomer. Shot my dad's .22 a few times as a kid but didn't purchase m first gun (Mossberg 500) until I was 19 when in the military. After that, it was all over. Been buying guns ever since with a special fondness for old west firearms.
  • tinytanktinytank Posts: 8 New Member
    I practically grew up seeing my dad's collection. He did the same with my grandpa. But he never let me use any of his rifles! Not until he gifted me one for my 18th. Took me out hunting the same day as well. Good times!
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    GunNut said:

You have me confused, Johnny.  Aren't you the same guy who posted in the hunting forum that you were from a small town in China, where it is illegal to own even a single bullet, much less a gun?  Seems like that would be a pretty good reason NOT to own a gun.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,573 Senior Member
    Don't feed trolls who post double entendres.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Doves_IndefinitelyDoves_Indefinitely Posts: 126 Member
    Bigslug said:
    Welcome!

I grew up with 'em, so can't really envision life without.

If you're on the fence, realize that it is a a lifestyle change that does represent taking a lot of personal responsibility for your safety and those around you - don't take it casually.

First thing to internalize can best be presented in a quote by one of the classic mentors of the field:

"Owning a gun does not make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician" - Jeff Cooper

Meaning that you need to learn how to competently use the thing, and familiarize yourself with its capabilities and the laws involved.

Once you get through that though, it is the ultimate expression of freedom as a prophylactic against coercion.
    I got my first gun at age 24 to target shoot for fun: a Remingtom semi-auto .22 LR.