Home Main Category Hunting

Forgotten footage from Africa: my 2010 blesbok hunt

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 8,120 Senior Member
It's slow around here, so I figured I would share this. I was recently digging through some tapes I had laying around for my now ancient MiniDV video camera and came across some footage that one of my professional hunters filmed of me while I was hunting blesbok in South Africa. He actually got some good footage of my shot and gave some good narration regarding what made finding this perfectly heartshot critter so tough. I edited the video and uploaded it to YouTube for your viewing pleasure:
Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

  • U TU T Member Posts: 423 Member
    Nice video. I don't think I've ever seen you with a hat on?
  • BigboreshooterBigboreshooter Member Posts: 155 Member
    Great stuff. Thanks for posting it. Watching it sparks a lot of great memories of Africa for me.
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,120 Senior Member
    U T wrote: »
    Nice video. I don't think I've ever seen you with a hat on?

    Oh, I wore a hat the whole time out there, though I seldom wear them otherwise. I just get hot too easily. In Africa at the end of summer, though, my head would've roasted.

    BBS - it's so hard to resist the temptation to go back. I told my wife that it's only a matter of time. The experience was just too incredible.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • bklysenbklysen Member Posts: 473 Member
    That's awesome footage, Luis. Very cool to see details of the terrain and to hear a bit of the narrative before and after the shot. Was that your 7mm-08 by chance?

    Just an aside, it's enjoyable to watch a vid like this as much for what's not there, as what is. I didn't see a lot of fist pumps, chest bumping, and high-five kind of stuff.

    Just an observation....:up:
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,708 Senior Member
    Thanks for sharing.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,120 Senior Member
    bklysen wrote: »
    That's awesome footage, Luis. Very cool to see details of the terrain and to hear a bit of the narrative before and after the shot. Was that your 7mm-08 by chance?

    Just an aside, it's enjoyable to watch a vid like this as much for what's not there, as what is. I didn't see a lot of fist pumps, chest bumping, and high-five kind of stuff.

    Just an observation....:up:

    Hah - yes. I'm not a fist pump/high five kinda guy, but I do know what you're talking about. Yes, that was my 7mm-08 with the 140 gr. AccuBond. The guy talking wasn't joking either. I hit that blesbok right through the heart and we couldn't find any blood until after the fact, and what was there was sparse.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    It's slow around here, so I figured I would share this. I was recently digging through some tapes I had laying around for my now ancient MiniDV video camera and came across some footage that one of my professional hunters filmed of me while I was hunting blesbok in South Africa. He actually got some good footage of my shot and gave some good narration regarding what made finding this perfectly heartshot critter so tough. I edited the video and uploaded it to YouTube for your viewing pleasure:

    Damn Six Gun, that's first class man. You could sell that to the Dallas Safaro Club or whatever it's called. That's very professional work.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,120 Senior Member
    Well, thank you, snake. It was cool that I even got these clips because my PH was really just kind of like "give me your camera" when we spotted the animal. It was about 100 yards to close, part of which we did in the truck. When we felt we were as close as we could get, me and him (riding on the back and literally hanging on the bumper) dropped free with another PH and started the excuciating stalk in the low cover to get within 215 yards of this guy. The cover sucked because it wasn't high enough to do much to conceal us, but it was just high enough to make for a tough shot. You can hear the PH asking me repeatedly how the shot looks and if it's clear. He was just as concerned as I was about the bullet contacting brush and blowing the hunt. Fortunately, I got the shot over all of it and landed it right in the boiler room. Unfortunately, the hilly landscape was right where he rand, making it a nightmare to figure out which way he ran after we lost sight of him. It took a while and we had no blood trail, but thankfully, we found him.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,425 Senior Member
    Nice vid.
    Good looking animal and great shot!
    One day, I hope to do some hunting in Africa.
    I will do all I can with a revolver and a specialty handgun.
    I have a buddy who took a number of animals in Africa with a 7-08 and Accubonds-Good combination.
    Ernie

    "The Un-Tactical"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    You're most welcome Six. You are the most class act on this forum and I love to read your posts.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,120 Senior Member
    Nice vid.
    Good looking animal and great shot!
    One day, I hope to do some hunting in Africa.
    I will do all I can with a revolver and a specialty handgun.
    I have a buddy who took a number of animals in Africa with a 7-08 and Accubonds-Good combination.
    It's funny you say that. My next trip out there (and there will be a next time) is going to involve that Colt Anaconda of mine. I want to take a waterbuck with that particular gun in the worst way. I saw your archery pics, so I know you can stalk. Anything in Africa is possible with a handgun if you find the animals in good cover and can stalk well. Sometimes you get dealt a bad hand like we did with that blesbok. It was an otherwise cakewalk shot considering that the rifle was zeroed at 200 yards. Mix in that sprawling low brush, however, and you can't get any closer and your shot path is badly obstructed. Regardless, I think that given enough time, and the fact that a handgun is a whole lot more maneuverable than a rifle, I think could pull off what I did with a handgun and a decent rest at even closer range.
    snake284 wrote: »
    You're most welcome Six. You are the most class act on this forum and I love to read your posts.

    Thanks a lot, man. I appreciate that kind of recognition because I feel we have the best gun forum community out there and a lot of classy and knowledgeable people on this board.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,425 Senior Member
    I will take a Freedom Arms revolver in either 454 Casull or 44 Mag. http://www.freedomarms.com/
    Specialty Handgun? Not sure which one I would take, but likely my 7mm SAUM or the 7mm Dakota, maybe the 338AX (338 Lapua Improved).
    It won't be this year for sure, so I have plenty of time.
    Is your Anaconda a 44 Mag or 45LC?
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    It's funny you say that. My next trip out there (and there will be a next time) is going to involve that Colt Anaconda of mine. I want to take a waterbuck with that particular gun in the worst way. I saw your archery pics, so I know you can stalk. Anything in Africa is possible with a handgun if you find the animals in good cover and can stalk well. Sometimes you get dealt a bad hand like we did with that blesbok. It was an otherwise cakewalk shot considering that the rifle was zeroed at 200 yards. Mix in that sprawling low brush, however, and you can't get any closer and your shot path is badly obstructed. Regardless, I think that given enough time, and the fact that a handgun is a whole lot more maneuverable than a rifle, I think could pull off what I did with a handgun and a decent rest at even closer range.
    Ernie

    "The Un-Tactical"
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,120 Senior Member
    Mine is a .44 mag. It's a shooter and a half for a revolver and I wouldn't bat an eye at shooting 100 yards with it after testing it out that far on both a target and phone books.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    It's funny you say that. My next trip out there (and there will be a next time) is going to involve that Colt Anaconda of mine. I want to take a waterbuck with that particular gun in the worst way. I saw your archery pics, so I know you can stalk. Anything in Africa is possible with a handgun if you find the animals in good cover and can stalk well. Sometimes you get dealt a bad hand like we did with that blesbok. It was an otherwise cakewalk shot considering that the rifle was zeroed at 200 yards. Mix in that sprawling low brush, however, and you can't get any closer and your shot path is badly obstructed. Regardless, I think that given enough time, and the fact that a handgun is a whole lot more maneuverable than a rifle, I think could pull off what I did with a handgun and a decent rest at even closer range.




    Thanks a lot, man. I appreciate that kind of recognition because I feel we have the best gun forum community out there and a lot of classy and knowledgeable people on this board.

    You are indeed classy because when you don't know something it's no sweat off your cajones to admit it like a man. Also, everything you do is class. I can't afford to do it like that nowadays, but it's a pleasure to see someone like you that does it. And in general you're just a really nice guy. Take care.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Hah - yes. I'm not a fist pump/high five kinda guy, but I do know what you're talking about. Yes, that was my 7mm-08 with the 140 gr. AccuBond. The guy talking wasn't joking either. I hit that blesbok right through the heart and we couldn't find any blood until after the fact, and what was there was sparse.

    I got that same effect when I hunted with my .243. It was a good hit and I recovered the animal but it never dripped the first drop of blood through that little hole. The fat around the shoulder just sealed it up like "fix-a-flat.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    .
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    Great video and hunt, congrats. How did you decide on guide, outfitter, even country? Did friends recommend, did you have a buddy with you? I'm just curious, as I've considered it myself, and wouldn't know where to start; other than on line, I guess. Did your hunt include any other critters?

    Joe
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,850 Senior Member
    Looks good Luis :up:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,120 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    I got that same effect when I hunted with my .243. It was a good hit and I recovered the animal but it never dripped the first drop of blood through that little hole. The fat around the shoulder just sealed it up like "fix-a-flat.

    It's strange. You would think a smaller animal with complete pass-through would bleed like mad, but like you said, something sealed him up. Heck, I got more blood on the bigger animals that showed no pass-through than I got off of this guy!
    shooter wrote: »
    Great video and hunt, congrats. How did you decide on guide, outfitter, even country? Did friends recommend, did you have a buddy with you? I'm just curious, as I've considered it myself, and wouldn't know where to start; other than on line, I guess. Did your hunt include any other critters?

    Joe

    shooter -

    I did a ton of online research, pricing, etc. It was over the course of several months. A BIG resource that is worth paying for when you plan a safari is The Hunting Report. You can buy report packs for entire areas and filter out theives and misfits based on published reports from other hunters. Not all outfitters have a ton of reports. In fact the place I went with only had one as they are a mom & pop type outfit owned by two hunting buddies. But, after talking with them and contacting some of their references, I felt they were an excellent value (way, way cheaper than a lot of the places with glitzy websites charging high daily rates and absurd trophy fees for a much more restricted experience) and was comfortable with their operation. It ended up being one of the best decisions of my life. I still talk with those guys from time to time and when I have the funds, will go back with them again. If you ever need help getting pointed in the right direction, let me know. I had to plan this all myself from scratch and lost a ton of sleep worrying about whether or not I screwed something up. It can save you a lot of headaches having a person who has been there/done that to bounce ideas against.

    As for the total game package I got, it included a kudu, springbok, gemsbok, blesbok, impala and I paid a little extra when I got done with all of those to hunt steenbok. I'll post some pics later. To sweeten the pot a little more, the PH I was with knew a farmer who was in the market for a laser rangefinder. He asked me if I was willing to swap this farmer my laser rangefinder straight-up for a warthog hunt! Considering that it was a 6 year-old Busnell that only went out to 500 yards, I didn't blink an eye. All I asked was that he let me use it to hunt the warthog and then it would be all his. :tooth: Keep in mind that I was also able to hunt jackals and even scored a caracal on this farmer's land, none of which he charged me for since he hates both critters and wants them gone (they harrass and kill his cattle and the game on his property). Again, let me know if you want more info or would like more details on the hunt. I posted a LONG hunt report before this forum crashed that gave every detail of my hunt, but it's gone. I could actually dig it up since I posted it elsewhere and PM you a link if you would like.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,120 Senior Member
    No promlem, Wambli. This was one of those experiences that I will never forget and that never gets stale when you get to experience it. I love sharing this stuff and hope that others gets the chance to experience it.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    It's strange. You would think a smaller animal with complete pass-through would bleed like mad, but like you said, something sealed him up. Heck, I got more blood on the bigger animals that showed no pass-through than I got off of this guy!



    shooter -

    I did a ton of online research, pricing, etc. It was over the course of several months. A BIG resource that is worth paying for when you plan a safari is The Hunting Report. You can buy report packs for entire ares and filter out theives and misfits based on published reports from other hunters. Not all outfitters have a ton of reports. In fact the place I went with only had one as they are a mom & pop type outfit owned by two hunting buddies. But, after talking with them and contacting some of their references, I felt they were an excellent value (way, way cheaper than a lot of the places with glitzy websites charging high daily rates and absurd trophy fees for a much more restricted experience) and was comfortable with their operation. It ended up being one of the best decisions of my life. I still talk with those guys from time to time and when I have the funds, will go back with them again. If you ever need help getting pointed in the right direction, let me know. I had to plan this all myself from scratch and lost a ton of sleep worrying about whether or not I screwed something up. It can save you a lot of headaches having a person who has been there/done that to bounce ideas against.

    As for the total game package I got, it included a kudu, springbok, gemsbok, blesbok, impala and I paid a blittle extra when I got all of those to hunt steenbok. I'll post some pics later. To sweeten the pot a little more, the PH I was with knew a farmer who was in the market for a laser rangefinder. He asked me if I was willing to swap this farmer my laser rangefinder straight-up for a warthog hunt! Considering that it was a 6 year-old Busnell that only went out to 500 yards, I didn't blink an eye. All I asked was that he let me use it to hunt the warthog and then it would be all his. :tooth: Keep in mind that I was also able to hunt jackals and even scored a caracal on this farmer's land, none of which he charged me for since he hates both critters and wants them gone (they harrass and kill his cattle and the game on his property). Again, let me know if you want more info or would like more details on the hunt. I posted a LONG hunt report before this forum crashed that gave every detail of my hunt, but it's gone. I could actually dig it up since I posted it elsewhere and PM you a link if you would like.


    Six-Gun

    Thanks for the reply. I'll keep you in mind and look forward to more information about the whole experience. I appreciate your willingness to share your experience and knowledge of what seems to be an undertaking to not be considered lightly. That's one of the reasons that I decided to join this forum. There seems to be a genuine bond of trust and friendship that is not apparent on other forums. Anyway, thanks.
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,120 Senior Member
    shooter wrote: »
    Six-Gun

    Thanks for the reply. I'll keep you in mind and look forward to more information about the whole experience. I appreciate your willingness to share your experience and knowledge of what seems to be an undertaking to not be considered lightly. That's one of the reasons that I decided to join this forum. There seems to be a genuine bond of trust and friendship that is not apparent on other forums. Anyway, thanks.

    Anytime, buddy. Planning for Africa is indeed a task you do not want to take lightly. Let's face it: you're dealing with a jigsaw of third-world countries and the gauntlet of seedy characters that can come along with them. You have to find a reliable place to hunt, and the best resource for figuring out who's legit and who's a charlatan is the hunters themselves. The guys I dealt with didn't run a fancy operation but they had legal access to HUGE tracts of land and excellent were hunters themselves. The accomodations were clean and comfortable, the meals were excellent and the hunting was first rate. Above all else they were honest. I paid not a dime more than we negotiated before the hunt + what I knowingly added during the hunt. Keep an eye on your PM - I'm going to see if I can dig up that thread about the hunt on another board and I will send you the link.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    There wasn't a huge amount of stuff that got lost with the forum crash that I miss but your thread about your African hunt was definitely one of them. I had planned on going to Africa this August and I was patterning the trip off of info that you gave. My divorce kinda blew my funds and I'm going to try again in 2013.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    .
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,120 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    There wasn't a huge amount of stuff that got lost with the forum crash that I miss but your thread about your African hunt was definitely one of them. I had planned on going to Africa this August and I was patterning the trip off of info that you gave. My divorce kinda blew my funds and I'm going to try again in 2013.

    When the time is again right for you, shoot me a PM and leave a phone number. I will gadly give you advice on the do's and don'ts that I learned to spare you the heartburn of wondering if you did the right thing. Don't get me wrong, I only have ever hunted one place in one country in the African continent, but I learned a helluva lot in that one trip. I feel obligated to share. I found that African trip report on another forum upon which I posted it.

    If the mods are okay with it, I'll copy and repost that entire thing back here so you guys can refer to it at will. All I have to do is reupload the pics since I've changed over to Photobucket. I'll give Linefinder/Wambli/Jayhawker a buzz and see if that's Kosher.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,702 Senior Member
    Sooo... Africa looks a LOT like West Texas...

    Nice video!
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,120 Senior Member
    That's good to know! I've never been to west Texas. Only San Antonio, Austin, San Angelo and some of the other eastern portions.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement