Home Main Category

SHTF ammo reserves, how much is enough?

2Aman2Aman MemberPosts: 332 Member
Just finished reading “One Second After” by William Forstchen. Wow. Like everyone else in 2008, I stocked up on ammo when I could. Lazily and shortsightedly, I shot most of it up without replacing alot of it. That book really opened my eyes to how vulnerable our grid truly is. Here is my question, on a normal budget, how much shtf ammo would you guys recommend? I am lucky to live in a stay in scenerio, would not leave and we have no hunting in the Keys, just lots of fishing/fruits etc., so thats a big piece of the picture. I would be concerned with the masses coming down from Miami to loot if things got bad..

We are lucky down here, one road in and one road out so I would hope it would be a decent place to hunker down if things got bad. Have water/food and first-aid covered just need to replenish the ammo supply. I know the proper answer to my question is as much as I can afford but on a normal budget How much do you guys think would be enough? 

Replies

• 2Aman2Aman Member Posts: 332 Member
    Forgot to mention calibers
    22LR
    12 gauge
    .357/.38
    .223/556
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,138 Senior Member
    The old standard answer is a 1,000 rounds of each caliber. It really depends on how much you're comfortable with.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,367 Senior Member
    Never too much. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Ha, got it 👍
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,923 Senior Member
    What you can carry

Thanks Ned, in a shtf scenerio, living where I do, I would stay put. Hunker down. Plenty of fish/fruits etc., I can make saltwater stills that create fresh water through condensation but just don't have alot of ammo left but am slowly buying what I can to replenish what I used to have.  
    Midway has some LC 556 for $.49 a round, that seems decent
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,233 Senior Member
    One more round than your adversary?
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,221 Senior Member
    A ratio of 50 .22 rounds for every centrefire round sounds about right .........Allows to to keep your skill levels high without burning up the SD stuff......
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,862 Senior Member
    In the event of a short term shortage like we just had, I like to have a reserve of 500 9mm and 500 5.56 practice ammo so I can still shoot if I desire to. 

For my defensive ammo, I like to keep 100-200 extra rounds around. 

For my hunting guns I try to keep 60 or so rounds of my preferred factory loading. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 421 Member
    I try not to worry about not having enough ammunition.  I figure I'll start to worry when I have too much.  Have a loooong way to go before I get to that point.  
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    edited June 2020 #14
    2Aman said:
    Just finished reading “One Second After” by William Forstchen. Wow. Like everyone else in 2008, I stocked up on ammo when I could. Lazily and shortsightedly, I shot most of it up without replacing alot of it. That book really opened my eyes to how vulnerable our grid truly is. Here is my question, on a normal budget, how much shtf ammo would you guys recommend? I am lucky to live in a stay in scenerio, would not leave and we have no hunting in the Keys, just lots of fishing/fruits etc., so thats a big piece of the picture. I would be concerned with the masses coming down from Miami to loot if things got bad..

We are lucky down here, one road in and one road out so I would hope it would be a decent place to hunker down if things got bad. Have water/food and first-aid covered just need to replenish the ammo supply. I know the proper answer to my question is as much as I can afford but on a normal budget How much do you guys think would be enough?

Is that where the power grid gets whacked and everything goes back to the stone age? I read that about 10 years back. Damn good read. I think that woke a lot of people up.

IIf that happened I'd want a couple Ma Deuce's and about 20,000 rounds of ammo and a few hundred hand grenades.

Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JaphyJaphy Posts: 127 Member
    I Dont know about the rest of the country but here (AZ) there is little or no available handgun ammo at any retailer.  I see some online but that is the $.50+ / round for 9mm.
    I suspect a permanent price increase similar to what happened to 22 a few years ago. 

I see an occasional box of 10mm on the shelves .. but no chance of 9mm and lately no 45ACP.   A few bricks of 22 in brands that I know will not work well in the Ruger.  I still have a couple boxes of Federal 44mag  reserved for deer hunts.

When things get tight it is ALWAYS the inexpensive ammo that makes shooting 9mm and 22 so appealing that disappears first and returns last when shortages abate.

This has me completely rethinking my recent 9mm 1911 shopping....  I can reload 10mm or 45ACP for very near the same price.  Have to buy a reloader and build a bench....  My go forward plan now is to either buy a 45 or 10mm 1911 and reload. 

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,615 Senior Member
    What do you need to do to practice to maintain what you consider an acceptable level of skill?  Law enforcement will typically have 30 to 50 rounds a go anywhere from 2 to 6 times a year.  That isn't great if you're trying out for the Olympics, but it does seem to maintain standards for the most part.  If you can get most of that out of the way with cheap stuff (i.e. .22LR), and load up on that cheap stuff, your need to consume the expensive stuff on anything other than the zombies will drop considerably.

1000 rounds per primary caliber is a nice, round, case-lotted number.  If things get REALLY bad, you may have to utilize the Vlad the Impaler strategy of putting the first wave on conspicuous display so you don't NEED to expend more dealing with the second wave. >:)
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Definitely replenished my .22lr supply. Tons of it available and affordable. Other calibers not so much but Palmetto State Armory/Midway had enough that I could afford so I sleep better at night. 👍 
  • JaphyJaphy Posts: 127 Member

Before covid closed the state operated ranges here (we are open now).   I would shoot 2+ days per week.  Maybe 400-500 22 rnds/week.  Sometimes in the desert  but that is farther to drive.

Shooting is a near Zen experience for me, classical music in the headphones, mindful of posture, grip, sighting, breathing, trigger, timing, muscle memory, and repeatability.   I have shooting friends that have removed both sights and just raise and fire one handed and cut a 1 in circle out of the center at 10yds.  Most use  S&W 41s alas I am not at that level

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,593 Senior Member
    I have enough 77gr 223 loaded for the shooting season, which should hold off a small to mid sized zombie apocalypse at least in the spring. A few boxes of 9mm and some 45. Enough 30 cal to cover the matches that I use them for and a little so a few hundred of those. BP and the flintlock if I am feeling traditional. Tomahawk to sharpen the pikes for the heads. Heads on pikes, bodies in the garden. Reduce, reuse, recycle.

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,233 Senior Member
    I have enough 77gr 223 loaded for the shooting season, which should hold off a small to mid sized zombie apocalypse at least in the spring. A few boxes of 9mm and some 45. Enough 30 cal to cover the matches that I use them for and a little so a few hundred of those. BP and the flintlock if I am feeling traditional. Tomahawk to sharpen the pikes for the heads. Heads on pikes, bodies in the garden. Reduce, reuse, recycle.

Not sure I’d want to eat the veggies fertilized with zombie corpses🤯
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    I've moved all mine to my daughter's house.  Enough on hand for SD.  Have plenty in each caliber for the guns we own.  Plus I have 2,500 various rounds to reload.  Got lucky on SP primers a couple of months ago.  Just beat doctors 3-5 months prognosis so I guess when our smokey air permits I'll be getting back into the garage.   
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,464 Senior Member
    this is one of those pink unicorns or what if questions.   Everyone will have their own take on what boogey man/thing will come knocking on their door.

but you can dream/fantasize all you want.

what it comes down to is that there are more of them than you.   

good luck
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
    “They” better bring friends. 
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    The first wave will make a nice barrier as they pile up...
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Lt.Lt. New Member Posts: 59 Member
    edited October 2020 #25
    Got enough to last a while at the rate I currently shoot! Wouldn't mind having more, but then who wouldn't! Hopefully the ammo companies can catch up to the demand soon (in the next 6 months)!
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    The first wave will make a nice barrier as they pile up...

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Bingo!!! 
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,593 Senior Member

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,511 Senior Member
    I just don't have room for another Conex full of ammo...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"