Home Main Category General Firearms

Tula in a Mini 14/ Boxer vs Berdan

2Aman2Aman MemberPosts: 332 Member
Going blasting this weekend and picked up some Tula bi-metal case berdan primed ammo cheap. Normally go with Federal or UMC but cant find any. Two questions.
1. Have you guys ever run tula ammo through a mini 14?
2. A guy I used to work with raved that berdan primers are hard on the firing pin, thoughts? 
As always, much appreciated.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    I never have. Times are lean. Maybe price check on line for a new fp. Bet its like $5.00?

Its a Ruger...........
  • 2Aman2Aman Member Posts: 332 Member
    $34 off Midway, just snagged one. 
    I have had issues with the chamber and the slot behind the extractor getting dirty with tula in my ARs but the Mini usually runs fine on anything, just havent tried Tula and your right, very lean on affordable ammo right now. 
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,762 Senior Member
    The steel case stuff is rather dirty, but it's the bullets  that will cause you problems. It's copper washed, steel core, not a copper jacket. So the rifling cuts through the copper wash and it's steel on steel. It would probably take a long time to wear out a barrel, just don't let it heat up.
    Gotcha, thank you Al. I never thought of that. Just bought 200 rounds, will give the barrel an extra good cleaning. May even break out the Sweets-stuff is super concentrated but works on other rifles that I burn alot of cheap Russian ammo through. 
    On the Sweets, I always go back through with a little extra oil, stuff is strong like Bull. 
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,762 Senior Member
    200 rounds should be OK. I've been hoarding ammo since the Klinton 1.0 administration so avoid such problems!!

I've never heard of Berdan primers harming firing pins but they do raise hell with a de-capping pin!! Don't ask me how I know!! B)
    Ahh, good to know👍
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,071 Senior Member
    No experience with Tula in a Mini-14 but I do know my AR didn't like them.  I had to wipe down the cases with a lightly oiled rag to get them to feed properly.  After that one box I have stuck with brass and my AR is happy.  I did recently buy some Tula in .357 mag (it was all that was available) but have not tried it in my 686 yet.
    I have tried the Tula .357 mag in a lever gun and it was fine, just dirty. Also through a 6” GP100, aka the Tank, with no issues of course. If your looking for .357 there is some online at a few of the bigger sites now. Range loads about $25 for 50 rounds. 
    Target Sports USA is where I got it, nobody else had any at the time.  Took so long to ship I don't think I will use them again.
    Slow shipping bugs me also.  Midway is getting stuff out in 2 days or less, Brownells also doing pretty quick shipping. 
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,703 Senior Member
    edited May 15 #14
    I seem to recall reading that the lacquer on older steel cased ammo would melt and gum up the action as the gun heated up, but allegedly that has been fixed. Additionally, as has been stated, it can wear out a barrel faster. However, we're talking thousands of rounds for that to be a factor (and in some cases the difference in price of ammo may outweigh the cost of a new barrel earlier). In your situation, if I were in your shoes I would plink away without concern. 

- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    Thanks, thats the plan. I have read about the lacquer issue and also the lack of contraction vs brass causing a fte so those were concerns. If I have any issues, will report back here. Hopefully I wont have to. 
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,629 Senior Member
    edited May 15 #16
    Wolf .223 steel cased ammo rusted the pistons on our Mini 14s, but that was a long time ago.  May have changed since then.  I don't see how Berdan primers could hurt a firing pin, though.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Thats interesting. Always thought piston driven systems were a little more reliable than gas impingement but thats a good point Gene. 
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,809 Senior Member
    No experience with Tula in a Mini-14 but I do know my AR didn't like them.  I had to wipe down the cases with a lightly oiled rag to get them to feed properly.  After that one box I have stuck with brass and my AR is happy.  I did recently buy some Tula in .357 mag (it was all that was available) but have not tried it in my 686 yet.
    Same here, except I have shot a little out of a Mini-14.  The Mini did ok, but I didn't shoot much out of it.

My ARs hated it. Stuck cases in the chamber regularly, with the extractor pulling off of the case rim. Had to use a cleaning rod to knock them out. I used a rag soaked with brake cleaner to get the coating off of them and they ran fine after that.  I've had a few boxes of that stuff in the safe for probably 10 years.  I just don't mess with it any more.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,629 Senior Member
    edited May 15 #19
    2Aman said:
    Thats interesting. Always thought piston driven systems were a little more reliable than gas impingement but thats a good point Gene. 
    I suppose if you cleaned the system immediately and oiled where appropriate it would be fine.  But that's not what happened.  I was told it was a rust problem but thought we had a little more time....nope.  This was the first time my agency shot the Minis and it the only ammo we could afford.  Me and the sheriff had to break down and clean every weapon.  Had to kick the bolts open on some rifles.  Never again with that ammo.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Dang, thats bad. Thanks for the heads up. 
    Jay said:
    Same here, except I have shot a little out of a Mini-14.  The Mini did ok, but I didn't shoot much out of it.

My ARs hated it. Stuck cases in the chamber regularly, with the extractor pulling off of the case rim. Had to use a cleaning rod to knock them out. I used a rag soaked with brake cleaner to get the coating off of them and they ran fine after that.  I've had a few boxes of that stuff in the safe for probably 10 years.  I just don't mess with it any more.
    Once I wiped them down with oil they ran ok, but with the little shooting I do with my AR the cheaper price wasn't worth the extra effort so I have steered clear since.  I normally run the American Eagle 5.56x45 which it likes just fine but with the shortages lately I had to get what I could and wound up with some PMC Bronze in .223.  I have not tried it in my AR yet to see if it likes it.
    About a year ago I started ordering 1000 rounds of XM193 at a time as I could afford them and when they were on sale and with free shipping. It was just a matter of time before panic buying kicked it.  I figured it would be the upcoming elections that would get it started and was gonna pick up a little more before then.  But the rona kicked in first. I've got at least a little stash. I also put aside a little stash of 9mm, 45acp, 22lr and some reloading supplies. Would like to have a little more, but hopefully I have enough stashed until this round of panic settles down. 
    I should have been doing that. Was a little slow to pay attention to the panic this time. 
    I've got some 9mm in several flavors, .357 in several flavors, .22LR, 12ga in 00 buck and slugs, 5.56x45, .223, .30-06 and a box of .45 ACP........and I don't even own anything that shoots .45  :D
    I've got some 9mm in several flavors, .357 in several flavors, .22LR, 12ga in 00 buck and slugs, 5.56x45, .223, .30-06 and a box of .45 ACP........and I don't even own anything that shoots .45  :D
    Sounds like a great reason to buy a 45... I’ve bought guns because somebody gave me brass for something I didn’t own... 
    edited May 16 #26
    I was eyeballing the Springfield XD in .45 so I bought a box to go rent one and try it out.....the range not only did not have an XD to rent, they didn't have any .45's to rent....
    I have moved on from the Springfield, it has been replaced on my want list by the Kimber Ultra Carry.  But sadly it cannot be a priority right now.  :/

The reason I own an AR-15 is that my wife won some 5.56x45 in a raffle and we had nothing to shoot it with.  It is now my oldest daughter's favorite rifle to shoot.
    Went this morning to kill some coconuts with the Mini 14. Out of 5 or 6 mags loaded with the Tula had one fte on the last mag. Other than that it ran fine but it is really dirty. Good for plinking only.