Home Main Category General Firearms

10/22 Replacement barrel

Diver43Diver43 Senior MemberPosts: 10,640 Senior Member
Somewhere around 1989 or 90, I purchased a Ruger 10/22 to plink and teach my step son and son, to shoot.  The gun has performed 100% Since day one.  The only time I can remember a FTF was when my boy wanted to use one of those 30 round after market magazine.  Anyways, several years and countless rounds through it, and after a few upgrades, I want to put on a better barrel and see of ot shoot better.
My Google searches have come up with several makers and contours.
My thought are target or bull barrel, but there are so many!  Price range is huge 90-several hundred dollars.  This well be for shooting at the range and hopefully shooting smaller groups than it already does, without costing the price of a new gun.  I did some trigger work that our old friend CPJ suggested and it is a smooth just under 3 lbs.

So, you folks that know please point me in the right direction.  I would 
Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,517 Senior Member
    I don’t have any experience with anything other than Green Mountain, and I’ve been pleased with mine. 

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Or, https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gun-review-ruger-1022-target-rifle/if the budget allows.

After a trigger job, mine will put 50 inside a dime at 50.I have the stainless cersion.

Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    My rancher friend and I were just riding around feeding and he challenged me to shooting a Mesquite limb off a tree at a later determined 26 yards. His 10/22 has a thin/fluted Green Mountain Barrel and mine is the bull barrel version. We took turns shooting. Each nicking the branch several times. I finally broke it on my 6th round from an improvised field position. 

• BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 265 Member
    Weiland makes a 15oz barrel that is becoming popular.  Tac Sol makes lightweight barrels that are very popular.  VQ probably has the most accurate barrels.    Check magnum Reserach as well.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,640 Senior Member
    Thanks
    Anyone else?
    Right now Green Mountain is at the top of the list.  They seem to be out of stock for much of their catalog. Guess lots of projects with all the stay home orders
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,241 Senior Member
    I have a Green Mountain on my original heavy barrel which my son now owns and it’s a shooter.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 418 Member
    Another vote for Green Mountain. And as an added true story: I've rebarreled rifles with every barrel under the sun from Shilen, Douglas, Kreiger, Bartlein, etc... and I can honestly say that I've seen better accuracy from Green Mountain barrels than any other. They're usually more concentrically bored than the others too. Its weird. 
    Another vote for Green Mountain. And as an added true story: I've rebarreled rifles with every barrel under the sun from Shilen, Douglas, Kreiger, Bartlein, etc... and I can honestly say that I've seen better accuracy from Green Mountain barrels than any other. They're usually more concentrically bored than the others too. Its weird. 
    Good first hand info.  Thank You
    This is the barrel I ordered. I had my Mentor cut it down to a little over 16” to make it a little more compact. 

• pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,308 Senior Member
    ENABLERS!  Ordered a SS Green Mountain for my 10/22 this morning.
    pjames777 said:
    ENABLERS!  Ordered a SS Green Mountain for my 10/22 this morning.
    I have one in the cart, but really want the 18" blue
  • N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 534 Senior Member
    I’ve used Green Mountain, Tactical Innovations, and I think it was a Butler Creek barrels. The GM is a heavy bull barrel the TI is there fancy Honeycomb one in blue and the BC is a carbon fiber wrapped one. I have absolutely no complaints about any of them all 3 are very accurate and have shot 1,000 of rounds each at ground squirrels. 

My son who is not super into shooting thought it would be cool to build a 10/22 so we are building a green one and will be using either the Tactical Innovations honeycomb barrel or the Tactical Solutions helix barrel both in Green. 
    Sent an email to Greenmountain today enquiring of when they would have the blue 18" Bull barrel back in stock. Reply came in less than an hour saying 8-10 weeks. But gave a link to one of their distributors. Order placed.
    That is very good customer service👍
    Diver43 said:
    Sent an email to Greenmountain today enquiring of when they would have the blue 18" Bull barrel back in stock. Reply came in less than an hour saying 8-10 weeks. But gave a link to one of their distributors. Order placed.
    That is very good customer service👍
    Nice!
    Order has shipped today also!!!!
    Woohoo!
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,425 Senior Member
    I have a Green Mountain on one of Clone Chargers, and it shoots lights out.
    Look forward to seeing the range report.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Well it's on. Feels pretty good.
    Hopefully get to the range soon.

Diver43 said:

You must live down the street from them....mine won't get here until end of next week!
    edited May 25 #21
    LOL actually came from one of GMs distributors.  Came from NV. In two days

https://1022racerifle.com/ruger/10-22/
    Diver43 said:

Why don’t we have a range report yet?!?
    Well,  the ranges are still shut down?  
    I have two guns that need some range time to see how they work.
    Stuff is just starting to open up again down here
    Excuses. You know what they’re like. 😎
    Just like elbows, everyone has one or two

Hoping to get to the range week after next.  They got stupid shutting everything down here in South Fl.
    edited May 26 #26
    My Green Mountain SS barrel showed up this afternoon.  Complete with break-in instructions. 

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,066 Senior Member
    I wouldn't use that barrel break-in procedure.  They obviously don't know what they are talking about.  Not a single mention of chipmunks or loincloths.  smilie_sh_026gif
    I wouldn't use that barrel break-in procedure.  They obviously don't know what they are talking about.  Not a single mention of chipmunks or loincloths.  smilie_sh_026gif
    Ground squirrels in Calif.   Non-lead bullets required.

Nope not doing that
    I have the chipmunk trap set in the back yard.  Never saw a chipmunk around here though. Wonder if ground squirrels  will work?  I have a old firepit and wood 
    Loin cloth. 

No pics.......it didn’t happen. 
    😖🙃🤔 You all would rather see Zorba in a skirt than me in a loin cloth

But I may wait until I get a new scope to hit the range.  I dont think The Simmons  22 Mag scope that BigChief gave me is going to cut it