Home Main Category General Firearms

Bulk .22 ammo

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 11,629 Senior Member
Some shooters, maybe most speak dismissively of bulk .22 ammo in general. You hear statements like "My rifle shot 1/2" with bulk .22 ammo."  I think it all depends.  I believe Remington .22 Golden Bullet .22 in 500 bulk boxes is the same as that packed in 50 round boxes, just a bit less costly because not as much expense goes into packaging.  I use Rem GB .22 as an example because that's what I have; don't know if it's even still sold in 50 round boxes.

Cheap bulk .22 ammo I think is going to be problematical, but not because of the way it's packed.  I shoot  Mini Mags out of my suppressed 10-22 because that's what it's regulated for and it's what feeds reliably. It also works really well in semi pistols, or so I hear.  I've not seen Mini Mags in 500 bulk boxes, but wouldn't hesitate to buy it if I did.

Rem GB out of almost everything else, which is fine.  Back in anticipation of Y 2K, I bought a case of 5000 rounds of it because it was, then, the cheapest "Name brand" ammo I could find.  And 21 years later, I still have some left!  I don't shoot enough.
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,286 Senior Member
    I think a lot of folks have adopted the term “bulk ammo” to mean the cheapest type of the manufacturer’s lineup.  Like I hear folks talking about Remingtons Thunderbolt as being bulk ammo even when they buy it in 50 round boxes.  GB Remington not so much.  You can get Federal Gold Match ammo in bulk packages, bricks and such, yet folks don’t really refer to it as “bulk ammo”.

Over the years I’ve learned not to be too much of a snob about .22 ammo.  I’ve gotten some amazing groups out of some of the cheapest most maligned ammo out there.  I believe when it comes to rimfire ammo the gun is a bigger factor in the accuracy equation.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,629 Senior Member
    Some guns definitely prefer certain ammo, no doubt.  Some time ago, I read about .22 Match ammo.  What I read then was the priming compound and how it is applied played a major role in the accuracy.  At that time, match ammo was produced by the most experienced workers. I feel quite sure these people didn't personally apply the priming compound individually, but the article either didn't elaborate or I don't remember.  There are degrees of costs for match .22 ammo, and IMO it does make a big difference if fired in a rifle that can take advantage of it.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,762 Senior Member
    The only bulk .22 I had problems with was the Thunderbolt. I had more misfires, ftf's, fte than any other ammo. It misfired in my Mossberg bolt action, Glenfield 75, and Ruger SS6. I took one round that would not go off and kept rotating it in the cylinder of my Ruger until the entire rim was dented and did not fire. The only gun it work in was my Browning Buck Mark, I fired every round that was left of it in the Browning, just to get rid of it.
    My preference for bulk has been CCI, but have had good results with Federal and Aguila.
    I won't buy Remington ammo!
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,422 Senior Member
    American eagle (Federal) and whatever is cheap for plinking. Federal auto match bulk for everything else. My 22 rifles shoot great with that stuff. I don’t get too worked up over things other than misfires. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 266 Member
    For plinking it really makes no sense to buy more expensive ammo.  But for competition or hunting or When you really need it to go bang, skimping makes no sense either.  I buy "bulk" blazers for my pistols cause that's what they like.  Mini mags for rifles.  Dependability is important to me most of the time, but not enough to spend twice as much on eley.
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,357 Senior Member
    i guess how would you define "bulk"?  if you want to nit pic.

fwiw, i used to buy ANY 22 ammo < 0.02/round when i started shooting.  So bulk, individual packs of 50 or AE 40, if it was less than 0.02/round, i bought some.   

sometimes i could not buy more if the store had a "limit".   

i think if you shoot enough you will learn about 22LR in general and maybe figure out that some guns may have a certain preference for a certain brand/type/..ect

im more shooting paper/things then sitting on a bench and looking for extreme accuracy.  The down side is that i dont know what my guns can really shoot given best ammo, shooter...ect.  But im happy with a bang with the pull of the trigger.

im not a 22LR bencher, but from my understanding, they will buy various 22LR ammo and run each through its paces.  Then when they find a good (accurate) brand/type..ect, they will get as many of that one "batch".   Once that batch is all gone, its starts over.  the ammo may not be packaged in containers > 50 or?  but im sure if it was and that ammo batch made really small groups, they would not care how it was packaged.

When it comes to accuracy, im with Dillion.  I believe in consistency.  without that, what good is accuracy.  

A friend of my bro that is a bencher, did some testing on some "bulk" ammo many years ago.  But the jist is that he found that the Federal #510 promotional ammo had the best weight (smallest variation) than others he could find/buy at that time.   At that time i was able to get that promotional ammo < 0.02/round so i had cases of that stuff.  Its mostly all gone now, but i do have a few boxes.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
    I've never tried Thunderbolt ammo, but have heard bad things about it.  Buying the cheapest RF ammo may be false economy if it doesn't fire and you shooter lacks confidence.  I can't remember the last FTF I've had, if ever.

Though not why I bought it in bulk in 1999, the Remington Golden Bullet .22 was the first bullet I ever killed a squirrel with.  Before, I'd killed them with a borrowed shotgun.

May not be the most accurate, but it's accurate enough.  
    50 yards groups fired with Thunderbolt ammo and a bone stock Stainless 10/22 With a cheap Bushnell scope.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    I think the most annoying thing about .22 bulk ammo is discussions of .22 bulk ammo.

Does it go off and cycle?  Will it reliably hit a soup can to 100 yards? Discussion should be over at this point, but it always seems to devolve into some version of finding what is closest to grouping like Olympic-grade Eley or Lapua - which is not what the stuff is for.

I regard the topic in the same manner I would when buying gas on an interstate trip - Shell, Chevron, Texaco, Arco... so long as they take my card and their product spins my wheels, I'm ok with any vendor with a sign that's visible from the road.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member

Nuf said?
    Every time I find it on sale I clear the shelf!

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Elite Match B) 
    You can hold the pinky finger of your trigger hand out as you fire it. Just like afternoon tea in the garden.....
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 430 Member
    edited May 18 #14
    I had a savage bolt gun in 22lr a few years ago that I took to the range for the first time. I took about 6 or 7 different boxes of "bulk ammo", each having different results in accuracy. When all hope was about lost, I found that the cheap Aguila ammo that I tried last made it shoot like the rifle was specifically built for it. 22lr just happens to be the most finicky ammo/chambering there is. Also add, thunder bolts suck everytime I've ever used them.
    GunNut said:
    50 yards groups fired with Thunderbolt ammo and a bone stock Stainless 10/22 With a cheap Bushnell scope.

That's good shooting but I have to wonder if you can do that routinely. That, to me, is the true test of a rifle and ammo.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,350 Senior Member
    edited May 18 #16
    Big Al1 said:
    The only bulk .22 I had problems with was the Thunderbolt. I had more misfires, ftf's, fte than any other ammo. It misfired in my Mossberg bolt action, Glenfield 75, and Ruger SS6. I took one round that would not go off and kept rotating it in the cylinder of my Ruger until the entire rim was dented and did not fire. The only gun it work in was my Browning Buck Mark, I fired every round that was left of it in the Browning, just to get rid of it.
    My preference for bulk has been CCI, but have had good results with Federal and Aguila.
    I won't buy Remington ammo!
    This. Thundercrap is both dirty and unreliable.  I won’t buy any Remington ammo because they had to go out of their way to make ammo that bad.  I used mine up shooting steel so I can say how accurate it really is.  

I prefer Federal because it just works.  CCI works fine, but I don’t like the extra expense of their packaging. 

Gene L said:
    GunNut said:

That's good shooting but I have to wonder if you can do that routinely. That, to me, is the true test of a rifle and ammo.
    Happy to say that yes I can.

• AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,647 Senior Member
    That's very nice shooting with that "budget" combination Enzo!

We use lotsa "bulk" .22 ammo since fancier ones although available in some brands are expensive ($ 8-15 the 50-round box). Since most of our shooting is plinking and hunting, they do the job inside reasonable parameters.

It's usually a matter of the gun you use them in. Currently worst regarding bullet/case quality we've got are Winchester 333/555. They do a decent job in CZ rifles, Ruger 10/22s, SAs and Mk pistols along with some other revolvers but will cause feeding/extracting problems in others due to low quality control of overall dimensions.
    Thunderbolt's were trash in the last decade but now will work and perform quite good in most of our more "high maintenance" guns.

My favorite hunting round is the Xpert 22, performing like the SK HVHP in my CZs. Other great choices are Federal American Eagles and Blazers.

If you're chasing scores in target competitions those aren't for you. Better go with Eley, Lapua, etc.