Home Main Category Clubhouse

Please tell us about your experience getting your first new motor vehicle ever.

Replies

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,551 Senior Member
    Maybe it’s just you! I’ve bought numerous new vehicles over the years both foreign and domestic. Don’t recall any particularly bad experiences from ether camp.
  • bobbertbobbert Posts: 63 Member
    edited May 2020 #33
    Just me? Maybe just luck of the draw. I've always been treated MUCH nicer at Japanese brand dealerships. One Oldsmobile dealership in Oklahoma was fairly decent 30 years ago when I bought a new Cutlass Calais coupe there and promptly put a new transmission in under warranty in two days flat when a fellow GI at Fort Sill damaged it when I stupidly borrowed him my car with only 10K miles on it. There was one Chevrolet dealership in Georgia that generously loaned my a minivan when my '99 Silverado truck was in the shop under a recall. Those were few and far between. The worst ones in my experience were GM dealerships in California and mostly Chevy dealerships. Big Three dealers tend to have nasty reputation to be crooked and lie a lot. 

(Starting to see a pattern here?)

Yup, I recognize that pattern.  My first car out of high school was a '76 Dodge Aspen which I had for a little over a year before selling it to my brother's girlfriend (now wife).  She fell asleep at the wheel and rolled it.  Back in February my 21 year old daughter did this to one of my more recent vehicles:
    It had a good life though.  I bought it in '08 when it was 2 years old with around 30,000 miles on it.  At its demise it had a little over 200,000 miles on it and was still going strong.

Is your daughter Ok now? I hope she didn't get hurt. I hope she wasn't driving under the influence. A drunken motorist, young punk, crossing the center line did my father in back in 1981. 
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Warning!
    Not family friendly.

:D 
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,985 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    JKP said:
    As good as MOPAR made me chuckle!
    The word on the Jeep forums is that "most" parts are best if they're MOPAR, the aftermarkets usually aren't as good. *shrug*

Not the radiator that I replaced in my old TJ.  The MOPAR part was designed to leak and fail.  The 100% aluminum aftermarket replacement unit (which was cheaper than a MOPAR part) was so much better

That seems to jive with what I've heard also - but apparently the exact opposite is true of the heater core. *shrug* Seems to mainly be sensors - aftermarket sensors apparently don't play well with the PCM.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,551 Senior Member
    Some people have bad luck, some people manufacture bad luck. 
    You have an obvious dislike/distrust of the”Big Three” as you call them so why on earth would you choose to do business with them? Going into a transaction with one of these entities with whom you hold such distrust may pre dispose you, intentionally or otherwise to invite confrontation. Just don’t go there, problem solved. I’m sure Toyota would love your business.
    edited May 2020 #38
    I finally stopped being a shill for "Big Three" 15 years ago. The last Big Three vehicle I ever bought was a 1986 Oldsmobile from a thrift-store lot in 2005. I will never buy anything automobile-wise, new, preowned or second-hand UNLESS it's either from a TOYOTA dealership or a private seller as long as I live again. I have met a few arse-wipes at independent used-car lots too, not just new-vehicle Big Three lots. It's my own fault for all those prior years I let those Big Three'ers bully me to death and rob me blind to boot. 

Heck, your new Toyota cars and trucks are likely built on American soil while Ford, GM and Chrysler are likely built in Mexico or Canada.  My '95 Corolla DX was built in Fremont, CA. Most of the rude/arrogant Big Three stores I've ever dealt with were actually in the state of California while the nicest folks in the same state I met at Toyota and Nissan/Datsun stores.

The most horrible Big Three dealerships I've ever come across were:

1. Redwood Chevrolet, Novato, CA 1980s-1990s
    2. Marin Dodge, San Rafael, CA 1980s-1990s
    3. some Chevy dealership in Folsom, CA 1999
    4. some Lincoln-Mercury dealership in Vallejo, CA 1999
    5. Butt's (they lived up to their namesake) Pontiac, Seaside, CA 1991...I bought a used 1988 Firebird 5.0 from these jerks for over $10K then and the old man in the F&I office yelled at me rudely to give him his pen back as I was going out the door as if he were a drill sergeant. I signed some papers a week after buying that pile of junk. I traded in my 1990 Olds compact car because I wanted "a fast car". I was stationed at Ford Ord, Monterey, CA at that time and was in uniform. Never, ever step onto a Big Three lot if you are in military uniform!! 

• DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
    bobbert said:
    I finally stopped being a shill for "Big Three" 15 years ago. The last Big Three vehicle I ever bought was a 1986 Oldsmobile from a thrift-store lot in 2005. I will never buy anything automobile-wise, new, preowned or second-hand UNLESS it's either from a TOYOTA dealership or a private seller as long as I live again. I have met a few arse-wipes at independent used-car lots too, not just new-vehicle Big Three lots. It's my own fault for all those prior years I let those Big Three'ers bully me to death and rob me blind to boot. 

Heck, your new Toyota cars and trucks are likely built on American soil while Ford, GM and Chrysler are likely built in Mexico or Canada.  My '95 Corolla DX was built in Fremont, CA. Most of the rude/arrogant Big Three stores I've ever dealt with were actually in the state of California while the nicest folks in the same state I met at Toyota and Nissan/Datsun stores.

The most horrible Big Three dealerships I've ever come across were:

1. Redwood Chevrolet, Novato, CA 1980s-1990s
    2. Marin Dodge, San Rafael, CA 1980s-1990s
    3. some Chevy dealership in Folsom, CA 1999
    4. some Lincoln-Mercury dealership in Vallejo, CA 1999
    5. Butt's (they lived up to their namesake) Pontiac, Seaside, CA 1991...I bought a used 1988 Firebird 5.0 from these jerks for over $10K then and the old man in the F&I office yelled at me rudely to give him his pen back as I was going out the door as if he were a drill sergeant. I signed some papers a week after buying that pile of junk. I traded in my 1990 Olds compact car because I wanted "a fast car". I was stationed at Ford Ord, Monterey, CA at that time and was in uniform. Never, ever step onto a Big Three lot if you are in military uniform!! 

So you DID buy a Yugo!
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    Actually, my worst experience ever was at a Toyota dealership, and that was within the last two years.  It's not the brand, it's the people who work there.  Keep in mind, the dealerships are privately owned, not owned by the mfg.  You could have a great experience or a horrible experience at any dealership, it depends on the people you deal with.  For example:  In '96 my wife and I decided to buy me a new truck and were thinking about buying a new car for her as well.  We went to a Ford dealer so I could test drive a Ranger and she could look at the cars.  When I returned from the test drive she was livid.  She marched up to me and said "We are leaving, NOW!"  Turns out that since I was on a test drive with a salesman the other salesmen refused to give "the wife" the time of day.  So we left, went next door to the GMC/Buick dealership, were treated well and drove home with a brand new Sonoma.  That cost the Ford salesmen commissions on at least one vehicle and potentially two.  Some salespeople aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.  Much more recently I was shopping around for an SUV.  At one independent dealership I explained to the sales lady what I was looking for and made it crystal clear that I was not interested in a mini-van.  She then proceeded to show me every mini-van on the lot.  I guess she took it as a challenge to her sales skills.......or lack thereof, because I left without even test driving anything.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    bobbert said:

(Starting to see a pattern here?)

Yup, I recognize that pattern.  My first car out of high school was a '76 Dodge Aspen which I had for a little over a year before selling it to my brother's girlfriend (now wife).  She fell asleep at the wheel and rolled it.  Back in February my 21 year old daughter did this to one of my more recent vehicles:
    It had a good life though.  I bought it in '08 when it was 2 years old with around 30,000 miles on it.  At its demise it had a little over 200,000 miles on it and was still going strong.

Is your daughter Ok now? I hope she didn't get hurt. I hope she wasn't driving under the influence. A drunken motorist, young punk, crossing the center line did my father in back in 1981. 
    She is OK and like me has never touched alcohol.  She just made a poor decision when crossing 4 lanes of traffic.  Traffic stopped in the first 3 lanes to let her across, she never saw the car flying down the far turn lane.....
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,541 Senior Member
    I need to get rid of my Ford ASAP after soaking up this thread! 

edited May 2020 #43
    bobbert said:
    5. Butt's (they lived up to their namesake) Pontiac, Seaside, CA 1991...

That's who I bought my Mercedes from!

The worst car dealership I ever encountered was the VW lot in that same auto mall. Runner up was the Toyota dealer - if you even looked in the direction of their lot, you could see the sharks start swimming towards you from every corner of the property!

The now defunct Love Chevrolet were idiots too, and were SHOCKED when I walked away...

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
     Some salespeople aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.  Much more recently I was shopping around for an SUV.  At one independent dealership I explained to the sales lady what I was looking for and made it crystal clear that I was not interested in a mini-van.  She then proceeded to show me every mini-van on the lot.  I guess she took it as a challenge to her sales skills.......or lack thereof, because I left without even test driving anything.
    I've had this happen with both car sales droids and real estate agents. I'll tell them "whatever", and they show me the exact opposite! Or I'll tell them how I plan to negotiate, then they are shocked when I execute my plan exactly. I love it how they cook the numbers, but don't change the bottom line...

)O(
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,349 Senior Member
    Since I stopped walking into dealerships to shop for a vehicle, I've had really very few problems with them. This whole interweb thing is pretty useful sometimes... 

Pretty much all dealerships and decent used care lots have a website with their inventory on it.  If I'm shopping for a specific type of vehicle, I can easily use the filters to show me only what I'm looking for.  If I find one I'm interested in, I might shoot them an offer on line.  Of course, a salesperson will usually contact me and want me to come in for a test drive.  But I can play that game with multiple dealerships and vehicles, using that to my advantage later when I do go out to look in person.  I print the vehicle info from their website, so when I show up I just hand it to the salesperson and say, "I want to see this one."  I also intentionally avoid the whole test drive thing for a while.  They try to get you in the driver's seat as quickly as possible.  Once you've driven the vehicle, the chances of you wanting to buy it go way up. I'll also explain to the salesperson that several other dealerships in the area have similar trucks that I want to go look at first, but maybe I'll be back to test drive it later.. Even if I'm not actually going to look at other vehicles.

Also, the last several vehicles I've bought, I go to my credit union and get pre-approved for a certain amount.  Say, $20,000.  They give me a piece of paper saying I'm pre-approved for $20k.  When I narrow it down to the one I want, I'll go back, give it another good looking over and then test drive it.  If it's the one I want, the negotiations begin. I've intentionally picked a truck that's marked a good bit over what I'm pre-approved for.  Of course, I have the ability to take out a larger loan.  But I've been pre-approved for the amount I'd like to spend.. 

So I've picked out a truck with a $27,000 price tag on it.  Sorry, I'm only approved for $20k...  Of course, they don't want to knock $7k off the price right away. Play the game and get it down as far as I can.  I can always tell them again that I have other trucks in the area I'm looking at... In the end, I usually get a truck for less than I was approved to spend to begin with, once I spring the trade-in on them after negotiating the price down.

Also, the big game car salespeople will play is the "what kind of monthly payment are you looking for?" game.  They can suck a lot of money out of you, and your payment will only be $20 per month more!!!  $20x12 months=$240 per year x 6 years= an extra $1440.  By being pre-apporved at my credit union and doing the loan work myself, I knock that out and knock out the tricky financing fees they stick in when you let the dealership do the financing for you (with banks they have agreements worked out with). I just get a purchase order from the dealership, go back to my credit union and usually within an hour (since they already have half the work done from the pre-approval) they tell me to go get my truck.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    I misread the title of this, and posted about the first vehicle I ever bought, which was far from new.  I did post that my first new vehicle was a 1975 Mazda Cosmo with a rotary motor.

I remember now that the salesman tried pretty hard to steer me into buying a Volkswagen Rabbit.  I now wonder if he knew the Cosmo was likely to give me problems, whereas the Rabbit would prove to be a more reliable vehicle.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,689 Senior Member
    I never deal with car salesmen. I tell my wife what I want then she goes and tells the GM who figures the price. 

It helps that she's worked at a Ford dealer for over 30 yrs.
    edited May 2020 #48
    I have actually never purchased a brand new car "the usual way" - I've gone through AAA or brokers. I've purchased used ones by dealing with the sales droids, but never brand new ones - although I've tried. I walked out of the afore mentioned VW dealer, the guy wanted to know what I was going to do. I told him that I was going to a broker. He informed me that he could beat the broker's price - I said "I know that, but the point is you're not!" Went to the broker, saved $2,500, and the same salesman had to drive the same car to the broker's office - I saw his name on the paperwork.
    All that the "new car game" that they play at the dealerships succeeds in doing is pissing me off. I've even warned them NOT to play the game or I'm walking. They usually don't believe me, but they become true believers after a fairly short period of time! By then, its too late.

)O(
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,956 Senior Member
    In 88 I had gotten my first "real" job. Real as in I was expecting to be in the field until retirement.
    I needed a good set of wheels as I was driving a used 83 Dodge Charger. That was what got Lee Iacocca out of the hole Chrysler was in, and for the first 50Kmi was a decent little car. Like every other one and the Plymouth Turismo that was exactly the same, somewhere between 50 and 65K miles they just stopped functioning correctly. Front wheel drive was good in fluffy snow, questionable on hardpack, and dangerous in slush. The rear end would pick up and pass the front. I found out later it wasnt just me.

So at the time you could get printouts of new vehicles and prices. I thought I wanted a Ranger or Dakota, 3 came for the same price, so I got a printout on a F150 for kicks. I spec'ed out what I wanted, the Dodge was priced way high, and the cost difference in the Ranger to the F150 was under 500 bucks. So I went looking at F150's. The one I spec'ed came to 10,900.00 and after I told the salesman what I wanted, he asked how much that would cost, I told him 10-9 he said I was about right. I said I know I am. He then pointed me at a xlt lariat with a 300/6 and a std transmission and said this is 11,400 and there is 500 cash back from Ford. Sold. When they evaluated the Charger the used car guy got out and said 12. I swear that the first though that went through my head was "12 bucks, thats about right" He meant 1200 to my surprise.
    I ran that for 44000 miles in 2 years, got rear ended by a tractor trailer, walked away, so I bought another F150 xlt Lariat with the 300/6 and std trans for 11,600 in 1990. Put 198000 miles on it putting only a gasket on the engine, traded it for a 150 XL with extended cab in 98 that my daughter totaled in 2000(?)
    Havent bought new since.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    That Ford 300/6 is a very well regarded engine - too bad GM discontinued their V6 of the same basic size, longevity and stump pulling torque.

)O(
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,956 Senior Member
    CAFE standards. They couldn't make the 300/6 conform to the greenie mandated stupidity.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    I misread the title of this, and posted about the first vehicle I ever bought, which was far from new.  I did post that my first new vehicle was a 1975 Mazda Cosmo with a rotary motor.

I remember now that the salesman tried pretty hard to steer me into buying a Volkswagen Rabbit.  I now wonder if he knew the Cosmo was likely to give me problems, whereas the Rabbit would prove to be a more reliable vehicle.
    Was that Cosmo ever marketed in America? I can't ever recall it advertised on US television. The Mazda rotary engine was commonly advertised in the 1970's. 
    zorba said:
    That Ford 300/6 is a very well regarded engine - too bad GM discontinued their V6 of the same basic size, longevity and stump pulling torque.
    My '95 F-150 had that old-fashioned 3oo straight six. Good motor that sang sweetly.  
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    bobbert said:

Was that Cosmo ever marketed in America? I can't ever recall it advertised on US television. The Mazda rotary engine was commonly advertised in the 1970's. 
    Yes, it was.  I bought it at a local Texas dealership.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Cosmo

The one I had looked a lot like the Series CD in the link I posted above.  It was white.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • TugarTugar Senior Member Posts: 2,423 Senior Member
    edited May 2020 #55
    My very vehicle was an old Mail Jeep. Plenty of character though. Ignition key had problems. It would turn on, but wouldn't start. Rigged a push button to the dash for that.  Hilarious. 

It had the old Chevy 153 with a two speed powerglide. Couldn't figure out why it was eating cylinder head gaskets until finally one day we found out it was a marine version. Different head gasket. 

Four of us piled in and we are blazing through the strip mall late one night. My younger brother yells "STOP". So I slammed the brakes so hard, it shifted into reverse on its own. Not safe but fun. I later purchased a different one with the inline 6 and a 3 speed auto. Crappy mileage on both. Best I ever got on the 4cyl was about 19mpg.17mpg for the Inline 6

My first car was a four door 1970 baby blue Oldsmobile Cutlass. 350 with the 2 barrel. 100k miles.$250 for the car. Did a B&M transpack as the **** was slipping. That fixed it right up and it would chirp second sometimes. 2.73 to 1 rear end and it got nearly 28 mpg on the highway and I never drove 55. Miss that car. Truck was rusted out but slapped in sheetmetal and drove it. 

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
    Winston Churchill
  • Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 600 Senior Member
    Tugar said:
    Did a B&M transpack as the **** was slipping. 

I guess using an abbreviation of the word 'transmission' is considered offensive?
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 1,319 Senior Member
    Some_Mook said:
    Tugar said:
    Did a B&M transpack as the **** was slipping. 

I guess using an abbreviation of the word 'transmission' is considered offensive?
    The PC term is transmission gender.
    We've been conditioned to believe that obedience is virtuous and voting is freedom- 
  • Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 600 Senior Member
    If the auto censor gets to the point of censoring beagles, I'm outa here...

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,507 Senior Member
    Tugar said:
    My very vehicle was an old Mail Jeep. Plenty of character though. Ignition key had problems. It would turn on, but wouldn't start. Rigged a push button to the dash for that.  Hilarious. .....
    I remember seeing those all over the place... but now not so much...
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,575 Senior Member
    edited May 2020 #60
    Had a Mazda Wankle-engine for an UC vehicle for about a year.  Not a sports car, a sedan.  Fast vehicle.  I wrecked it one night when I pulled out in front of a car with no lights on.

My first car I won't say.  It's one of the personal questions on at least one of my password hints.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 1,319 Senior Member
    Gene L said:
    Had a Mazda Wankle-engine for an UC vehicle for about a year.  Not a sports car, a sedan.  Fast vehicle.  I wrecked it one night when I pulled out in front of a car with no lights on.

My first car I won't say.  It's one of the personal questions on at least one of my password hints.
    Holy smokes. Might be a paranoid thought, but what if the OP was fishing for that kind of info? It'd be easy to get into someone's info with a few answers to easy questions like that. Another reason I never use real answers to those security questions.
    We've been conditioned to believe that obedience is virtuous and voting is freedom-