Home Main Category Clubhouse

Pawn shop visit part II this evening

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,412 Senior Member
Piggy backing on my pawn shop post in the General Firearms section from this morning, my son and I went back to the pawn shop to see if we could haggle over the price of the anvil.  They had three of them all $500 each.  I pulled up the NC anvil online.  A 70 lb goes new for around $300 plus shipping.  I offered $250.  The owner said these we all antique anvils made of high quality steel, harder than what they make them out of today.  He wouldn't budge on the price.  He said he'd let the one on the bottom go for $400.  I said let's split the difference and go $350.00 and he accepted.

Instead of a 70 lb anvil the one on the bottom was a 100 lb anvil rusted but in excellent shape.  Who made it really didn't matter to us, my son just wants to try making knives.  Looking online we weren't going to get what he wanted for really less than $350 plus shipping.   All in all we did pretty darn good, plus it will be nice to have an anvil in the barn!
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,551 Senior Member
    Hope your son has big arms, pounding on steel ain’t for skinny armed folks’like me’ :p I tried it and found I preferred the stock removal method of knife making much better!!!
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Piggy backing on my pawn shop post in the General Firearms section from this morning, my son and I went back to the pawn shop to see if we could haggle over the price of the anvil.  They had three of them all $500 each.  I pulled up the NC anvil online.  A 70 lb goes new for around $300 plus shipping.  I offered $250.  The owner said these we all antique anvils made of high quality steel, harder than what they make them out of today.  He wouldn't budge on the price.  He said he'd let the one on the bottom go for $400.  I said let's split the difference and go $350.00 and he accepted.

Instead of a 70 lb anvil the one on the bottom was a 100 lb anvil rusted but in excellent shape.  Who made it really didn't matter to us, my son just wants to try making knives.  Looking online we weren't going to get what he wanted for really less than $350 plus shipping.   All in all we did pretty darn good, plus it will be nice to have an anvil in the barn!
    Good negotiation!  Great score!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,142 Senior Member
    Good deal.  Many of the shops down here will not negotiate on price
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5