Home Main Category General Firearms

Nostalgia - Rossi .38 Spl

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,894 Senior Member
    For defensive use, I'd try to find a box of the 38 HST and call it good.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,434 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    I have thought about taking the easy route and just buying a box of defensive ammo. Not like I’ll be shooting a lot of it through the gun.
    You’ve never been a fan of .38 spl as a defensive round.  With all your current options this gun is probably more of a carry to the mailbox once in a while option.  How much effort do you want to put into load development?
    Diver43 said:
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    I have thought about taking the easy route and just buying a box of defensive ammo. Not like I’ll be shooting a lot of it through the gun.
    You’ve never been a fan of .38 spl as a defensive round.  With all your current options this gun is probably more of a carry to the mailbox once in a while option.  How much effort do you want to put into load development?
    It's all about science and science is fun
    He does need a reliable pig killing round for it. :)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,322 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    Diver43 said:
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    I think our buddy has enough science experiments staked up to last him a lifetime.  :D
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,588 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    Diver43 said:
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    I think our buddy has enough science experiments staked up to last him a lifetime.  :D
    We’re gonna need a bigger pig trap. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,071 Senior Member
    Show of hands, who has ever seen Zee take the easy route?
    Truth. 
    I just pursued Midway for .38 Spl ammunition choices. Don’t really like the choices. I can’t use +p and all the not + p ammo pretty much sucks. 

Probably load my own. 😒
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Thats the kind of can do spirit that built a nation......
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,426 Senior Member
    I have debated trying to work up a load for .38 and I was looking at trying some 110gr XTP bullets.  I figured that probably had the best chance at being pushed fast enough to expand.  The other option is to load it with a wide flat nosed cast bullet.
    edited May 21 #40
    Zee said:
    Truth. 
    I just pursued Midway for .38 Spl ammunition choices. Don’t really like the choices. I can’t use +p and all the not + p ammo pretty much sucks. 

Probably load my own. 😒
    Is the gun specifically NOT rated for +p?  Here's an interesting article by our own Don Johnson on +P ammo.  I remember we had a thread here about it before we lost all the old content, and he was quite adamant that any modern handgun can handle a reasonable amount of +P.

https://www.handgunsmag.com/editorial/ammunition_demystplusp_0306-7/138860

Not trying to push you either way.  Just adding another dimension to the discussion for educational purposes.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,681 Senior Member
    Gosh published almost 20 years ago and still makes sense
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Everything I’ve read on the Rossi is that they are not rated or recommended for +p ammo. 

As to every modern gun being rated. Yeah, that’s what I thought. So I ignored the recommendations and fired a cylinder through my then S&W 442 Airweight. 
    5 rounds......cool no problem. Reloaded and it was either the 6th or 7th that totally locked my gun up. Had to take it to a gunsmith to get the cylinder to unfreeze and open. 

So, we have theory and reality. 
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,071 Senior Member
    mitdr774 said:
    I have debated trying to work up a load for .38 and I was looking at trying some 110gr XTP bullets.  I figured that probably had the best chance at being pushed fast enough to expand.  The other option is to load it with a wide flat nosed cast bullet.
    Now you can just sit back and watch Zee go to work and copy his end result.  ;)
    Zee said:
    Everything I’ve read on the Rossi is that they are not rated or recommended for +p ammo. 

As to every modern gun being rated. Yeah, that’s what I thought. So I ignored the recommendations and fired a cylinder through my then S&W 442 Airweight. 
    5 rounds......cool no problem. Reloaded and it was either the 6th or 7th that totally locked my gun up. Had to take it to a gunsmith to get the cylinder to unfreeze and open. 

So, we have theory and reality. 
    Damn!!!!! 😬

I do occasionally run a cylinder of +P through my model 60 and 36 because that’s what I carry when I CC them.  I do 99% of my shooting with cheap 130gr bulk FMJs.

Now you can just sit back and watch Zee go to work and copy his end result.  ;)

If need be, I am sure that I have some that can be donated for science.  I was going to work up a paper load, but I do not have the ability to conduct the science that needs conducted.  Also, the range I shoot handgun at is still closed down due to state restrictions.

All that being said, if a "sample" pack would be useful for the science tests I am more than willing to provide it.  I may even have some 125gr as well.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,811 Senior Member
    edited May 21 #46
    mitdr774 said:
    https://www.mattsbullets.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=325

Might lose a little in the speed department compared to a 110.  But with that big hole in the front and the fact they say it'll expand at 38 velocities, I'd be curious... I don't have a short barreled 38, so no real interest other than curiosity.  Could make a decent truck gun load for my dad and his GP100, I guess....

I'd like to see a bullet like that in the 125 grain range... 
    That just might be something to try out.  Thank you for the suggestion.
    The parts inside that rotate the cylinder and hold its barrel alignment are subjected to flex during ignition. These can wind up being the weak link. 
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,026 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Truth. 

Probably load my own. 😒
    I had high hopes for the Hornady load, and was severely disappointed out of a 4” 

https://forums.gunsandammo.com/discussion/40126/more-gel-tests#latest
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Jay said:
    mitdr774 said:
    https://www.mattsbullets.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=325

Might lose a little in the speed department compared to a 110.  But with that big hole in the front and the fact they say it'll expand at 38 velocities, I'd be curious... I don't have a short barreled 38, so no real interest other than curiosity.  Could make a decent truck gun load for my dad and his GP100, I guess....

I'd like to see a bullet like that in the 125 grain range... 
    I’m gonna try my HBWC reversed at .38 Spl velocities first. If they perform poorly, I’m gonna try those you linked next. 👍🏻
    The parts inside that rotate the cylinder and hold its barrel alignment are subjected to flex during ignition. These can wind up being the weak link. 
    Yeah, I didn’t ask the GS what was wrong, back then I was too ignorant to know.   But, something locked up and I couldn’t shoot or open the cylinder. These days, I know it could have been a pulled bullet or the mechanism itself. Either way.......my gun was a dead stick. 

BTW: I was using Georgia Arms +p ammo. Don’t remember the weight. 

Zee said:
    Truth. 

Probably load my own. 😒
    I had high hopes for the Hornady load, and was severely disappointed out of a 4” 

https://forums.gunsandammo.com/discussion/40126/more-gel-tests#latest
    Which is why I’ve avoided the XTP in my .38 Spl choices. 👍🏻
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,811 Senior Member
    Your reversed HBWC loads are what got me to thinking and searching. Which is how I came across the bullet I linked to. My initial thought was, what if they have a lighter HBWC? Which, they don’t. I couldn’t recall if you’d shot your previous load in a 38 chamber and wonder if those heavier HBWC bullets can be seated long enough to allow enough powder for velocity but still fit in a 38 chamber rather than 357 chamber. Be cool to see what you’re able to come up with. 👍
    I used .357 Mag brass on the reversed test. So yes, it will be interesting to see if the same can be done in the .38 Spl case or if a switch to tour linked Bullet would be necessary. 
    I caved. I just ordered 200 of these. 

Science!!
    Gonna figure a way to make them work. 
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,831 Senior Member
    I'll be interested in your results. those might be a good choice for the 4" model 10 I gave one of my daughters for her camp gun. it has always shot well with a 125gr cast RN for plinking and the 125gr Win Silvertip for camp.
    Bunch’a enablers. 
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,425 Senior Member
    Sentimental purchases are special.  Good for you, and thanks for sharing the memories.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • tinytanktinytank Posts: 8 New Member
    These guns always remind me of a little southern shoot-out like in those old films haha. My mate gifted a Taurus 650 to me a couple years back. Never got around to testing it out. This post just reminded me to!