Home Main Category Clubhouse

Teachers

10canyon5310canyon53 MemberPosts: 2,122 Senior Member
My wife, a First Grade teacher, had this sent to her by another teacher:

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    Our #2 son and his #1 daughter had both been teaching high school online from home.

He is not happy with it and they really do not know if it works.
    There were no end of year exams and no way to monitor them if they had the exams.

So is seems it was all a big social experiment that will be evaluated sometime in the future as these kids move on in their life.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    My wife believes most of her students will not be ready for 2nd grade next year....but they are going anyway.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,203 Senior Member
    The suckage with remote learning is real, but, my 2 in highschool see the amount of BS foisted on them in the classroom by Teachers with agendas besides teaching the class, neither is interested in going to school to be a teacher if they have to drink the kool-aid some of them drink.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,043 Senior Member
    I just sent that to my wife- a Kindergarten teacher.  Hilarious.

I have a unique view on the remote school thing.  My wife is somehow teaching kindergarten from home, and my kid is doing remote 5th grade right across the hall from my home office.  Granted, they are both at the same private school.  My brother is helping out with the homeschool on his daughter through a local public school district.  The differences between the public and private schools for homeschool/ COVID/ Internet school thing is staggering.  My niece has basically done nothing for the past six weeks, while my son has been saddled with more projects and homework than he did during normal school- To the point that my wife is complaining that her co-workers are doing too much and making the kids work too hard.  This is the last week of school for my kid and he has 2 major projects due- one of them due on the last day of school.

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,203 Senior Member
    edited May 2020 #6
    I just sent that to my wife- a Kindergarten teacher.  Hilarious.

I have a unique view on the remote school thing.  My wife is somehow teaching kindergarten from home, and my kid is doing remote 5th grade right across the hall from my home office.  Granted, they are both at the same private school.  My brother is helping out with the homeschool on his daughter through a local public school district.  The differences between the public and private schools for homeschool/ COVID/ Internet school thing is staggering.  My niece has basically done nothing for the past six weeks, while my son has been saddled with more projects and homework than he did during normal school- To the point that my wife is complaining that her co-workers are doing too much and making the kids work too hard.  This is the last week of school for my kid and he has 2 major projects due- one of them due on the last day of school.

Our school had not done the training for remote learning, was not "in the contract", had the system/software, had not used it, they had to figure it out in 2 weeks, my kids said the google software they USED to use was much more user friendly, guess who got the crash course in school software too, the parents. A couple districts in our area had their crap together better and the transition was smoother, still a lot of problems with rural kids and crappy internet service, paraprofessionals were delivering paper packets to them. I have seen in my office a lot of teachers, school administrators, and students because they were working from home on tiny Chromebooks, laptops, and bad desk set-ups and just plain stress. Our teachers and administrators have definitely picked up the gauntlet, but poor students are not doing well from I am hearing, it is going to suck for their next year teachers trying to get them up to speed. Our school counselor and HS Principal are on day 2 of bringing awards, honors, and scholarships to EACH seniors home, Son #2 received high honors for academics, an A average over 4 years, recognition for 6 years of band, and 2 500$ scholarships tonight, it has been a grind to say the least. I may bitch about public school teachers on occassion, the vast majority do their jobs and do them well and my comments should not paint with a broad stroke.    
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    Sounds a lot like here.  My wife is one of those teachers who had to just figure it out.  One local school district equipped a number of school buses with wifi and would send them out to different locations daily for the students who did not have internet.