Home Main Category Clubhouse

PSA...prostate biopsy

LinefinderLinefinder ModeratorPosts: 7,514 Senior Member
edited May 2020 in Clubhouse #1
Knew it was coming and have been dreading it for 6 months. But truth is....not nearly as bad as I was expecting. Not something I'd care to do on a recurring basis, but if you've ever whacked your thumb with a hammer hard enough to make you cuss, you've already endured far worse.

So, when/if the time comes.....keep a stiff upper lip, boys.

Mike

ETA: The worst part, actually, was the antibiotic shot in the buttocks. I haven't received a shot in the butt for years.
"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
N454casull

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    ****, Mike!  Prayers sent for negative results.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Prayers sent for a false alarm brother!
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,602 Senior Member
    Fingers crossed!
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,514 Senior Member
    Will do. PSA levels were 0.97 (great), and the MRI 6 months ago came back negative. My urologist seemed pretty upbeat, but said the gold standard for detection was an MRI and biopsy 6 months apart. So...today was the biopsy part of it.

The biopsy is actually performed by technicians, not an MD. The guy that did mine has 30+ years on the job. After the procedure was over he said, "Of course, I can't diagnose, only your Doc can give you your actual test results. But everything looked good to me and I'm thinking this will turn out to be a whole lot of nothing".

So I'm feeling pretty good about it.

Mike
    N454casull
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,748 Senior Member
    Hope it was just a waste if time for you
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,542 Senior Member
    I know a few men who got very sick(e coli?) after their biopsy. My dad was one of them. Ended up in the hospital. Hopefully your antibiotic will take care of that.
    Yeah, I got an antibiotic shot and a pill this AM, and another pill to take before bedtime. Hope that works.

Hardest part of the day was a required self administered enema while getting headbutted by our new 12 lb cat. Some things are better left alone.

Mike
    N454casull
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,270 Senior Member
    You and I have a date involving beer and food and old port to keep my friend. Will be having words with the guy upstairs to ensure you are still around.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Hope the biopsy results are negative, and no infection from biopsy procedure. Hang in there. Prayers out for ya for a good outcome!

Uhhh...............ummmm...................what's this about a new 12 lb. cat?
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,000 Senior Member
    Just prayed-----and your right, it is not fun; though not as bad as the apprehension.
    tennmike said:
    Hope the biopsy results are negative, and no infection from biopsy procedure. Hang in there. Prayers out for ya for a good outcome!

The wife decided to get right back on that horse. Floki (we didn't name her), is a 3 year old black tabby. Soph was a princess...this one is still about 30% cat.
    N454casull
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Praying for a negative result, buddy! 

Glad you guys got a new cat to help share some love.  
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,539 Senior Member
    Yeah, I got an antibiotic shot and a pill this AM, and another pill to take before bedtime. Hope that works.

Hardest part of the day was a required self administered enema while getting headbutted by our new 12 lb cat. Some things are better left alone.

Mike
    I'll let you know how many days it takes to get this image out of my head.....
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 1,069 Senior Member
    Can anyone fill me in on why it sounds so common to get an infection with this biopsy? Surely to God they don't use a rusty nail in today's day and age.
    We've been conditioned to believe that obedience is virtuous and voting is freedom- 
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,833 Senior Member
    I hope its nothing. I may need one someday. Ive had some issues they're watching.

Living in this city I guess I can take another pain in the butt.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,656 Senior Member
    Can anyone fill me in on why it sounds so common to get an infection with this biopsy? Surely to God they don't use a rusty nail in today's day and age.

Cause they basically drive a tack from your colon into your prostate...
    I'm hyper vigilant about prostate cancer, my father died from it. NOT the way I want to go...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,000 Senior Member
    edited May 2020 #18
    zorba said:

Cause they basically drive a tack from your colon into your prostate...
    I'm hyper vigilant about prostate cancer, my father died from it. NOT the way I want to go...
    Actually 6 or 8 tacks, hollow needles, maybe more in some cases. 

Mike
    Only you can make something like administering an enema seem funny.  You paint a picture I NEVER want to see. :)
    Jerry

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,384 Senior Member
    edited May 2020 #20
    Will do. PSA levels were 0.97 (great), and the MRI 6 months ago came back negative. My urologist seemed pretty upbeat, but said the gold standard for detection was an MRI and biopsy 6 months apart. So...today was the biopsy part of it.

The biopsy is actually performed by technicians, not an MD. The guy that did mine has 30+ years on the job. After the procedure was over he said, "Of course, I can't diagnose, only your Doc can give you your actual test results. But everything looked good to me and I'm thinking this will turn out to be a whole lot of nothing".

Mike

Hoping for a positive report,  Hang tough.  Was this routine or did you have symptoms that called for a test?  I need one, but probably won't get one.

Is it possible when you were PD shooting and concentrating on your scope so much that a PD snuck up behind you and decided it was time for some Payback?  They are a burrowing animal, aren't they?
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    tennmike said:

The wife decided to get right back on that horse. Floki (we didn't name her), is a 3 year old black tabby. Soph was a princess...this one is still about 30% cat.
    Give Floki a while to acclimatize and settle in in the new home. Darn cats have to take an inordinate amount of time to settle into a new home and get comfortable. Dogs just take over and sniff everything, and then they're good to go. :D  
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams

Mike
    So without trying to get too personal, really just looking to learn something.  You have low PSA levels and a negative MRI. assuming they did not feel anything in the annual finger up your ass check, why the biopsy?
    8-9 months ago I started peeing blood. My primary doc referred me to a uroligist who scoped my bladder and found a mass. He performed surgery and removed a fatty cyst that was the cause of the bleeding. While doing his thing, he noted my prostate was enlarged so he scrapped a bit of it away and sent it along with the cyst to the lab for analysis.

The cyst proved benign, but 4 of the 72 prostate scrapings came back positive for cancer. So he scheduled a PSA test and an MRI. The PSA reading came back 0.97, which is actually pretty low. The MRI came back negative. His opinion was that, by pure dumb luck, the cancer was in the very early stages and his scrapings may have actually got it all. But....he wanted a biopsy 6 months later just to be sure. He said an MRI and biopsy spread 6 months apart was the best way to avoid a false positive/negative. But the PSA reading and the MRI results gave initial results that looke pretty good.

Mike
    N454casull
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,865 Senior Member
    Congrats on the good results. I had the cancer in 2015, and had radiation as the cure. Now my PSA's at 6 months intervals are 0.2
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    8-9 months ago I started peeing blood. My primary doc referred me to a uroligist who scoped my bladder and found a mass. He performed surgery and removed a fatty cyst that was the cause of the bleeding. While doing his thing, he noted my prostate was enlarged so he scrapped a bit of it away and sent it along with the cyst to the lab for analysis.

The cyst proved benign, but 4 of the 72 prostate scrapings came back positive for cancer. So he scheduled a PSA test and an MRI. The PSA reading came back 0.97, which is actually pretty low. The MRI came back negative. His opinion was that, by pure dumb luck, the cancer was in the very early stages and his scrapings may have actually got it all. But....he wanted a biopsy 6 months later just to be sure. He said an MRI and biopsy spread 6 months apart was the best way to avoid a false positive/negative. But the PSA reading and the MRI results gave initial results that looke pretty good.

Mike
    Damn!  That fatty cyst might have been a stroke of luck!!!
    Yep. I've been lucky more than once in the past couple of years. 

Keeps me looking over my shoulder, though. LOL!

Mike
    N454casull

Mike
    I’m sure it does 🤣🤣🤣
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 1,069 Senior Member
    Strange things like that can happen. Some say it's the Lord working in mysterious ways and some say its just coincidence. Weird thing happened when my dad was diagnosed with lung cancer. He hurt his back at work and needed an xray. They did the xray which showed (here's the part I'm not fully clear on) an injury that would only be solved with surgery, but they also saw a spot on his lung. They set him up for further imaging within the week about the lung spot which turned out to be cancer and lo and behold the damage to his spine "disappeared". Its almost like something or someone was trying to get his attention.
    We've been conditioned to believe that obedience is virtuous and voting is freedom- 
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,748 Senior Member

Mike
    Sounds like you are one up on the odds.  If you keep checking your six, nothing can ever sneak up on you
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    And all this time I thought peeing blood was a bad thing.

I'm glad you caught it early, buddy.
    Jerry

• RaftermanRafterman New Member Posts: 283 Member
    My Dad was peeing blood = bladder cancer. Lord how that poor man suffered. The whole family suffered as well. Lots of bad memories there.