Home Main Category General Firearms

Dual use 32-20.

Elk creekElk creek Senior MemberPosts: 6,422 Senior Member
edited May 22 in General Firearms #1
Let’s run a metal exercise here guys. Let’s say I have a 32-20 rifle, oh a Marlin 94cl for instance, and a uberti single action  Colt clone with a 7.5” barrel. Most of the data I’m finding is rather mouse fart-ish for the handgun, but respectable for the rifle. I get it he 32 isn’t a magnum by any stretch. So let’s say I’m using ONE LOAD. Let’s hear sone ideas. 
Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.

Replies

• HappySquidHappySquid Member Posts: 362 Member
    lets say;  Pics ????? 
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,422 Senior Member
    lets say;  Pics ????? 
    The rifle is in purgatory, dang it. The “Budget” green lighted a trip to the gunstore for a carbine a coupe weeks ago. I bought another carbine I was wanting for a while but never found the right one, until last week.  I never figured finding this gem.....a JM Marlin 94CL 1/2 mag 32wcf! So in purgatory it goes....
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    Load for the handgun, take the velocity boost you get from the rifle, treat it like the 100 yard bunny/coyote/deer-rifle-of-desperation gun that it is.  No sense in hot rodding if you have other platforms.  A slow powder like 2400 or AA#9 will do well in both longer tubes.

My .32-20 isn't exactly a .32-20 - it's the result of a .32-20 reamer run in a Martini Cadet chamber, so I've got a blown out shoulder and neck to a .319" bore on an action that's probably stronger than your Marlin and certainly stronger than your Peacemaker, so my final load data won't help you, but as I recall, even the lighter work-up AA#9 loads did well.

It's a cheap round on powder and a cheap round on lead if you're pouring your own.  Lotta fun!
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Bigslug said: I
    Load for the handgun, take the velocity boost you get from the rifle, treat it like the 100 yard bunny/coyote/deer-rifle-of-desperation gun that it is.  No sense in hot rodding if you have other platforms.  A slow powder like 2400 or AA#9 will do well in both longer tubes.

My .32-20 isn't exactly a .32-20 - it's the result of a .32-20 reamer run in a Martini Cadet chamber, so I've got a blown out shoulder and neck to a .319" bore on an action that's probably stronger than your Marlin and certainly stronger than your Peacemaker, so my final load data won't help you, but as I recall, even the lighter work-up AA#9 loads did well.

It's a cheap round on powder and a cheap round on lead if you're pouring your own.  Lotta fun!
    Sounds like a plan. I have other platforms for almost any situation, real or imaginary. So, this is just a simple light little mountains walking rifle. 
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    All the Trail Boss 32 ers' I know use cast lead rnfp's....
     :) 
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,825 Senior Member
    Well don't you just suck big time. Congrats, sweet find. I've got the Colt police Positive in 32-20 from my dad's collection. He always wanted a 92 to go with it.
    I've also got his 115gr SWC w GC mold if your so inclined.

sakodude said:
    Well don't you just suck big time. Congrats, sweet find. I've got the Colt police Positive in 32-20 from my dad's collection. He always wanted a 92 to go with it.

That’s very kind, but I don’t cast bullets. I know I know, but just have so much time. 
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,762 Senior Member
    edited May 22 #10
    I've got an 1889 Marlin in 32-20. I shoot a 115 cast with 4.5 grains of Unique, Very pleasant and accurate to 100 yards. I have a Colt New Army Navy Commercial revolver and a S&W hand ejector in .32-20. Both of those because of their age, I shoot 100 grain cast with 3.5 grains of Unique. I'm sure the 115 grain load work in your modern guns, I just don't like to hot rod 100 year old + firearms. I don't cast either, but cast bullets are cheap!!
    .32-20 is a fun round, I just picked up an 1873 Winchester in .32-20 but haven't had to chance to shoot it before this covid crap hit!!

BTW Nice find on the 1894!! B)
    IBig Al1 said:
    I've got an 1889 Marlin in 32-20. I shoot a 115 cast with 4.5 grains of Unique, Very pleasant and accurate to 100 yards. I have a Colt New Army Navy Commercial revolver and a S&W hand ejector in .32-20. Both of those because of their age, I shoot 100 grain cast with 3.5 grains of Unique. I'm sure the 115 grain load work in your modern guns, I just don't like to hot rod 100 year old + firearms. I don't cast either, but cast bullets are cheap!!
    .32-20 is a fun round, I just picked up an 1873 Winchester in .32-20 but haven't had to chance to shoot it before this covid crap hit!!

BTW Nice find on the 1894!! B)
    That 115 grain load sounds like just the medicine for this rifle and the Single action when I get it... thanks! 
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 522 Senior Member
    edited May 22 #12
    Me I'd have some old fashioned rifle rounds for the rifle. And a bunch for either.
    The rifle rounds are jacketed copper.
    Matter of fact I do have both and guess what nothing to shoot them in.
    Elk creek said:

sakodude said:

That’s very kind, but I don’t cast bullets. I know I know, but just have so much time. 
    Ah, but I do!!
    sakodude said:
    Elk creek said:

sakodude said:

Ah, but I do!!
    Oh man!
    Me I'd have some old fashioned rifle rounds for the rifle. And a bunch for either.
    The heck you say? 
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,286 Senior Member
    So a 1990 gun that still has all the stickers attached, LNIB.   Hummmm, yep, hate you...
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

GunNut said:
    So a 1990 gun that still has all the stickers attached, LNIB.   Hummmm, yep, hate you...
    Yep! Can’t wait....
    edited May 22 #18
    Elk creek said:
    The heck you say? 

the real thumpers are the 115 grain not pictured.
    The velocity and ME corbon wouldn't try

https://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j82/Kahjones/IMG_0461_zpsbb76b6b1.jpg
    Elk creek said:
    The heck you say? 

the real thumpers are the 115 grain not pictured.
    The velocity and ME corbon wouldn't try

https://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j82/Kahjones/IMG_0461_zpsbb76b6b1.jpg
    Cool stash! Love old ammo boxes 
    The far right hand box are some of the very not good ones for revolvers.
    The far right hand box are some of the very not good ones for revolvers.
    I read a couple warnings about those in handguns. I doubt I will find those in the wild out here.....
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    edited May 22 #22
    Were the rifle only loads marked on the package???

Maybe express???

I see it.
    High Velocity. Words of meaning, once upon a time......
    Look what I found that wasn’t buried in the bowel of moving hell!!

sakodude said:
    Look what I found that wasn’t buried in the bowel of moving hell!!

Oh now that’s cool!!! 
    Yours if you want them. I also have a bunch of Missouri Bullet company 115gr SWC plain base but those are buried!
    sakodude said:
    Yours if you want them. I also have a bunch of Missouri Bullet company 115gr SWC plain base but those are buried!
    That would be awesome! Thank you! 
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,763 Senior Member
    edited May 23 #27
    Really awesome rifle...nice grab! It will be awesomer if you make that sillyass cross bolt lawyer safety go away...it's a $20.00 fix...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker said:
    Really awesome rifle...nice grab! It will be awesomer if you make that sillyass cross bolt lawyer safety go away...it's a $20.00 fix...

Jayhawker said:
    Oh it’s gone.....
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,286 Senior Member
    Elk creek said:
    Jayhawker said:

Jayhawker said:
    Oh it’s gone.....
    That’s my boy!!!  🤣🤣🤣
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

I'm trying to organize that old ammo and you did say you liked old boxes.

I can't ever seem to connect on a 32-20 rifle....close too many times.
    Congratulations 

I'm trying to organize that old ammo and you did say you liked old boxes.

I can't ever seem to connect on a 32-20 rifle....close too many times.
    Congratulations 

Old Canadian Ammo, even cooler eh’!