Home Main Category Hunting

There was a story about some ruthless archers.

bobbertbobbert Posts: 63 Member
edited May 2020 in Hunting #1
These young men, two of them about age 20, shot a bear cub and left it for dead out in a certain woods. They would shoot at buzzards in the air. They would shoot other animals and wound them while leaving them for dead. I know it's never lawful to shoot a bear cub. Perhaps these boys were hunting out of season and violating other game regs as well. One even admitted to the other that it's unlawful to hunt without a license. They were certainly acting unethical. They even tried to shoot a nearby farm boy's sweet collie. The nice farm dog was quick and clever though and grabbed one of these varmints by the arm while a couple of farmers ran up and took them into custody for the sheriff to arrive. Whether they were trespassing on private land without permission, I'm not sure. 

Now it's true: most American hunters with bows or with guns are true sportsmen and do things by the book and by the law. 

Please don't be like those two bad boys with bows. 

Here is this story: fortunately it's a fiction story but it
teaches some noble truths as follows: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19n4KEe7bTM

Replies

• AlleyCatAlleyCat Posts: 387 Member
    edited May 2020 #2

Robin of Loxley is captured during the Crusades and is imprisoned in Jerusalem. With the help of fellow inmate Asneeze, he escapes and frees the other inmates. Upon returning to England, Robin finds Asneeze's son, Ahchoo, and discovers that Prince John has assumed control while King Richard  is away fighting in the Crusades. Unbeknownst to Richard, the prince is abusing his power. Robin returns to his family home, Loxley Hall, only to find it being repossessed by John's men. His family's blind servant, Blinkin, informs Robin that his family is dead, and his father left him a key which opens "the greatest treasure in all the land."

Robin recruits Little John and Will Scarlet O'Hara to help regain his father's land and oust Prince John from the throne. On his quest, Robin attracts the attention of Maid Marian of Bagelle, who wants to find the man who has the key to her Everlast chastity belt. They are also joined by Rabbi Tuckman, who shares with them his sacramental wine and bargain circumcisions. While Robin is training his band of tights-clad Merry Men, the spoonerism-spouting Sheriff of Rottingham hires the Mafioso Don Giovanni to assassinate Robin at the Spring Festival. They plan to hold an archery tournament to attract Robin. Maid Marian hears of the plot, and sneaks out of her castle to warn Robin, accompanied by her German  lady-in-waiting Broomhilde.

At the archery tournament, a disguised Robin makes it to the final round, but loses after his arrow is split in two by his opponent. Robin reviews the movie's script to discover that he gets another shot. Giovanni's assassin attempts to kill Robin by shooting at him with a scoped crossbow, but Blinkin catches the arrow in midair. Robin then takes the second shot, this time using a special "PATRIOT" arrow" and hits the target. Robin is arrested, with Marian promising to marry the Sheriff in order to spare Robin's life.

Robin and the Merry Men interrupt the wedding between the Sheriff and Maid Marian. Marian is carried off to the tower by the Sheriff, who wants to deflower her but cannot open her chastity belt. Robin arrives and begins to duel the sheriff, during which Robin's key falls into the lock of Marian's chastity belt.

After winning the fight Robin spares the Sheriff's life only to miss his sheath and accidentally run the Sheriff through. The witch Latrine, Prince John's cook and adviser, saves him by giving him a magical Life Saver in exchange for marriage. Before Robin and Marian can attempt to open the lock, Broomhilde arrives, insisting they get married first. Rabbi Tuckman conducts the ceremony, but they are suddenly interrupted by King Richard, recently returned from the Crusades, who orders Prince John to be taken away to the Tower of London and made part of the tour.

Robin and Marian are married, and Ahchoo is made the new sheriff of Rottingham. That night, Robin and Maid Marian attempt to open the chastity belt, only to realize his key will not open the lock.

Here is this story: fortunately it is a true story and it
    teaches some noble truths about tights:

• AlleyCatAlleyCat Posts: 387 Member
    edited May 2020 #3
  • bobbertbobbert Posts: 63 Member
    edited May 2020 #4
    AlleyCat said:

Pish

LMOA, Alley Cat!!

But violating game regs is no laughing matter when the game warden of Naughty Ham socks it to you for taking that pig without a tag where required.  >:)

I have seen several TV episodes over my lifetime and several movies with hunting scenes. Very few such dramas portray hunting in a positive way. Hunting is always looked down as "unethical" and hunters are often villainized. The entertainment world has been long run by Bambi-huggers. There was even a John Wayne cowboy picture where Wayne portrays a lawman who fines a deer hunter for some game offense even back in the Old West as if they didn't have enough trouble already to worry about Indians, bank robbers and rustlers. 

Disney's "Old Yeller" portrays hunting in a positive way. 

The point is I don't condone game reg violations though some game regs might seem pesky or stupid. Taking political action is the best way to reform bad game laws. The fact that CA black bear hunters can no longer use hounds is asinine. 
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,111 Senior Member
    Would you knock it off with the lectures and trying to tell others on this forum how to behave?  I assure you that we all take our responsibilities as ethical hunters very seriously.

We don't need to be told by someone we barely know how to behave.  You, on the other hand, could use some pointers.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    edited May 2020 #6
    JerryBob, could we all please be more sociable here? I wasn't trying to insult the intelligence of any seasoned hunters and long-timers that might be reading here. I was making a thread that some might find fun and fascinating. There might be some greenhorns reading these pages who might not know fletching from a flint. That people on various discussion boards jump readily into the defensive indicates, as my father would say, a guilty conscience.

"We don't need to be told by someone we barely know..."

Who is WE if I might be so bold to ask? 

Mr Bob, if you or any others here, are a good hunter that abides by the rules, then my blaze orange hat's off to you, sir (but it's still on, literally, wherever local regs require it). I did think some here might find that particular episode of Lassie charming: old-time B&W TV's promoting hunter ethics. Good day, my friends. 
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,391 Senior Member
    The WE is those of us that have been here long enough to KNOW each other well enough to know we don't need to be preached at.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,977 Senior Member
    I is one of we

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,570 Senior Member
    edited May 2020 #9
    Just be yourself, and talk/type the way you normally would.
    It was like you were arguing with some mystic unethical hunter.
    Get to know the people who are on this forum who post often. 
    Watch the dialogue, and get to know us. 
    We like newcomers. Let us get to know you. 
    Share what you like to hunt with (Pics are always welcome).
    Tell us about your rifles/shotguns, handguns, loads, hunting trips
    It is an odd post to me...I am all about safety and following hunting guidelines wherever I am at.  Most of us are seasoned hunters, so when a thread like this pops up, my first thought is, What is going on here and why?"

Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Bobbert,

every post of yours that I have read has either been a rant, a gripe, an endless argument or you preaching to the rest of the forum about something we would never do any way.  This latest post is a prime example of you talking down to good natured folks who have probably forgot more about hunting than you know.

Ernie gave you some good advice.  I suggest you take it.
    Jerry

Bobbert,

every post of yours that I have read has either been a rant, a gripe, an endless argument or you preaching to the rest of the forum about something we would never do any way.  This latest post is a prime example of you talking down to good natured folks who have probably forgot more about hunting than you know.

Sorry, I never saw it that way. Apparently this thread wasn't such a big hit after all. It sounds like people here are all stressed out. I'm going to try to lay off new threads for a  while and perhaps comment on some others, maybe. 
  • N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 611 Senior Member
    bobbert said:
    Bobbert,

Sorry, I never saw it that way. Apparently this thread wasn't such a big hit after all. It sounds like people here are all stressed out. I'm going to try to lay off new threads for a  while and perhaps comment on some others, maybe. 
    Maybe start one on pink camo guns.
    edited May 2020 #13
    knitepoet said:
    The WE is those of us that have been here long enough to KNOW each other well enough to know we don't need to be preached at.

Just be yourself, and talk/type the way you normally would.
    It was like you were arguing with some mystic unethical hunter.
    Get to know the people who are on this forum who post often. 
    Watch the dialogue, and get to know us. 
    We like newcomers. Let us get to know you. 
    Share what you like to hunt with (Pics are always welcome).
    Tell us about your rifles/shotguns, handguns, loads, hunting trips
    It is an odd post to me...I am all about safety and following hunting guidelines wherever I am at.  Most of us are seasoned hunters, so when a thread like this pops up, my first thought is, What is going on here and why?"

Was any person's handle mentioned with this new thread of mine? No.

Why should anybody assume that my thread was intended to insult seasoned members here? Did nobody here find the content of my thread amusing? 

Why is this thread odd? I once read an early 1970's Outdoor Life article by Jack O'Connor titled "Would You Shoot Your Uncle for a Buck?" If memory serves me correctly, it was all about hunter safety. I wonder if Outdoor Life magazine lost a lot of subscribers on account of that "preachy" article. I apologize: I meant no harm if folks here feel offended. 

As folks here have said, I don't know folks here to tell whether they are seasoned hunters or never hunted before or are just interested. I'm not a bad person though I might be perceived as individualistic or different. 
    edited May 2020 #14
    bobbert said:
    Bobbert,

Maybe start one on pink camo guns.
    NOT!

I wouldn't be caught dead starting such a thread. I'm rather embarrassed now that I started one on a fictitious archery story and I personally hate bow hunting but respect the rights of those who do enjoy bow hunting by the book and by the regs.

I see no tactical advantage to using a pink camo gun for hunting or for personal defense. 

Does a pink camo gun have any real practical function, by the way? It seems as it might be more highly visible than a gun with more conservative colors as flat black. 
    The moral o f the story is:  Don't tell a friend who is a gunsmith (who has a sense of humor), "Paint it however you want." B)
    It shoots great!  Killed this buck just beyond 600 yards...Must have been the pink.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    The moral o f the story is:  Don't tell a friend who is a gunsmith (who has a sense of humor), "Paint it however you want." B)
    It shoots great!  Killed this buck just beyond 600 yards...Must have been the pink.
    That's good! The deer was too far away to be spooked by the flashy pink, maybe. An old NRA hunter safety instructor once told me that animals never see blaze orange coz it doesn't exist in nature. So blaze orange camo might work great tactically. Other hunters can see it maybe but not wild critters. I have yet to see a gun in blaze orange camo!  As for me, I prefer plain black or gunmetal gray for tactical weapons or all-weather shotguns and rifles for hunting. For revolvers I prefer stainless. My Remington 870 police pump is an "ugly black club". Nice wood, nice checkering, nice bluing , nice gold inlays and nice silver receivers look sweet but I dread scratching them afield!! Camo is getting popular for hunting long guns these days but I fear it looks crappy when it wears. 
    I have had all kinds of colors of guns and clothes on when hunting.
    Motion, scent, and noise that is different (besides just standing up in the middle of nowhere) seem to give animals alert more than anything.
    Even scent may not be a big issue, if they are used to being around people.
    If we are wise about concealing our movement, and watch the wind we have a good chance hunting.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,882 Senior Member
    A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics. Is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct.
    Aldo Leopold.

Exaggeration of the significance of Leopold's simple observation would be difficult to achieve.
    edited May 2020 #19
    A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics. Is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct.
    Aldo Leopold.

Exaggeration of the significance of Leopold's simple observation would be difficult to achieve.
    In anti-hunting jurisdictions, even the ethical hunter these days does often get "booed" in the form of more anti-hunting regs, many of which make no scientific sense at all. The gallery of disapproval is the legislators in anti-gun states driven by Bambi-hugging soccer moms. It's all driven by pure emotions. I have yet to see ethical sport hunting "cheered on" by the mainstream media. These same hypocrites buy fowl, beef, pork, lamb and fish at supermarkets. It's OK if slaughterhouses butcher domestic animals. Many anti-hunters claim to be health food nuts and wild game is some of the most healthful lean protein around. The anti-hunting crowd needs education in the health benefits of wild game. 

Aldo is half correct: there is no gallery of applause  but there certainly is one of disapproval. For all those who have ever lawfully and ethically harvested game, my boonie hat is off to each and every one of you and you can visualize my hands clapping in your heads and whistling coming from my lips as if my favorite baseball player just hit a grand slam. 
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,087 Senior Member
    There you go again....
    You are belaboring a point that has been made here more than I can count....

How about telling us something about the firearms you own or have owned...

Any hunting adventures you have had...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker said:
    There you go again....

"Belaboring" an American author who has been dead since 1948. Apparently, Mr. Leopold wasn't around to see the ban on hounds for black bear in CA in 2013 and he  might have had second thoughts on his "disapproval" quotation. 

The guns I now own: 1 Remington 870 Express police pump, 12 ga, and no more at this time

Former guns: 2 x Smith & Wesson .38's, 3 x Colt 45 Automatics (1 destroyed in accident, 1 confiscated by army MP and never returned), 1 Colt Lawman .357, 1 Remington Nylon 66, 1 Browning A-Bolt II .25-06 BOSS, 1 Husqvarna bolt action .308 rifle, 1 Mossberg 500 police pump, 1 Mossberg 590 police pump (stolen from me and never recovered), 1 Browning Citori O/U 12 ga., 1 Browning AG-500 12 ga., 1 Savage .300 lever action, 1 Glock Model 21 (stolen from me and never recovered)

Hunting: got my first and only deer one October morning in 1996 on a private Nor Cal ranch, yearling buck, coastal, also killed 9 ground squirrels on the same rancher's ranch on the afternoon of that same day...other than that, I have never hunted in my life....most of my knowledge came from books, magazines and outdoor video....never had a mentor to teach me hunting in my youth and both parents were opposed to hunting...for most of my life I never knew hunters personally and I never knew landowners for hunting access and I thought it would be too expensive for me to hire guides/outfitters ona regular basis 
    Not exactly what I had in mind....but whatever...
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,250 Senior Member
    edited May 2020 #23
    Nevermind, Jay......about the time it was getting peaceful around here, doofus shows up. And gets exited.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    bobbert said:
    Jayhawker said:
    There you go again....

"Belaboring" an American author who has been dead since 1948. Apparently, Mr. Leopold wasn't around to see the ban on hounds for black bear in CA in 2013 and he  might have had second thoughts on his "disapproval" quotation. 

Hence the endless arguments.

Do us all a favor, and take some time to get to know the good folks in this forum.  Just because I'm an old grouch doesn't mean everyone is.  I personally know a lot of the people here.  Linefinder is one of my dearest friends in the world.  I would do anything for him, and I know he would reciprocate.  I have hunted, fished and camped with a lot of them, and shared food and drink with others.  Some I have never met, but feel I know from years (literally) of sharing posts.

You can't do this overnight, but you can do it.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.  It's a good way for older guys such as myself to know you.
    Jerry

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,882 Senior Member
    I knew I'd be too late for my big speech........

For the benefit of any lurkers.

All kinds of reasons for more and/or new regulations. In the end money drives most of it.

Ive hunted on public land on and off for near 30 years. Left my truck, tent, camper, and gear unattended at will. No one's ever touched any of it. Ive never even heard of such a thing. Try leaving your car and house unlocked at will. I don't worry too much about ethics....
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,386 Senior Member
    Banned already.  Too bad. I was working up a good sarcastic post against his preachy ass, Probably starting with:

"Sorry, my bearskin-clad buddies and I were too busy feeding our tribe by driving a herd of 300 antelope over a cliff with fire and noisemakers for me to hear what you were saying."

Note to newcomers: We'd love to hear what you have to say, but waltzing in and immediately sermonizing like a Baptist minister before you've even made 20 posts is NOT the way to endear yourself.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I didn't realize he had been banned.  Can't say I'm surprised.

Bigslug, I think you just insulted a lot of Baptist ministers. :wink:
    Jerry

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,250 Senior Member
    edited May 2020 #29
    I banned Bobbert for dirsturbing the peace with malice.

It's been nice around here lately. We intend to keep it that way.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    I was hoping he would come around. 
    My hopes were not high.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    A true case of leading a horse to water and not being able to make him drink...