Home Main Category General Firearms

New here, AFAK and other suggestions needed

Joline86Joline86 Posts: 2 New Member
Hello all! I am new here and I have read the rules so I hope I am posting to the correct thread. I am trying to get ideas for my husband for Father's day. He trains in tactical shooting at the range and is actively working towards becoming a certified RSO. He has his concealed carry in several states. I am looking at getting him new Howard Leight Impact ear protection along with a case. But he has also mentioned wanting a concealed ankle trauma kit. I have researched but I would like personal recommendations. My debate is if I should buy a kit that is already stocked or buy the ankle holder and then stock it myself since most are $$$ or are more boo boo kits vs gun shot wound/trauma kits. If so what are your recommendations for stocking your kit? I also know the kit is useless if he is not trained...He is CPR trained and as I said actively training so I know there will be more classes and instruction. Other than what I have listed, is there something that YOU would recommend as a gift? He wants a new pistol but that is out of our price range currently. Thank you in advance!

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,550 Senior Member
    Regarding the hearing protection, I have the ones you mentioned and I also have several Walkers Razor Slim Low Profile models. Of the two, I prefer the Walkers. 

They go on sale regularly and I get them when they are about $40. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,425 Senior Member
    Just wanted to say, Welcome!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,422 Senior Member
    Welcome! 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 522 Senior Member
    Welcome as well.
    Zee shoots a lot and If he prefers something I'd be listening. 
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,403 Senior Member
    Hello and welcome!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    A gunshot trauma kit on your ankle?  That would be a neat trick.  They can easily get to small/medium purse size.  I've jammed stuff from at least two different trauma kits into an 8x8x4 pouch that lives on the back of my instructor/range vest.  Probably silly, but if the bad day happens, I'm ready for it.

Pressure dressings & wrap, a chest seal, medic scissors at a minimum, and that should work on an ankle rig.  I'm a fan of the SOF-T Wide tourniquets for a traditional windlass crank style, but the SWAT-T which is basically a big fat rubber band is good for K.I.S.S. and might fit in a smaller space.  At that level, you're mainly trying to stop bleeding and keeps lungs working until the cavalry arrives, so much beyond that starts to blur into full-on paramedic gear .  If he's properly trained on how to use it, a chest decompression needle doesn't take much space and can make the difference if EMS response times are long.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Well that beats a striped yellow neck tie for sure. He'll be able to hear you better in your golden years. Best of luck to you. Im not familiar with those products, but there's others here that surely are.
  • Joline86Joline86 Posts: 2 New Member
    Well that beats a striped yellow neck tie for sure. He'll be able to hear you better in your golden years. Best of luck to you. Im not familiar with those products, but there's others here that surely are.
    I would like to think the golden years are a few years off at least....We are only in our 30's but celebrating 17 years together and 7 years married this year. I pride myself on getting the perfect present. And I am running out of ideas after this many years. Last year I got him a kayak.  
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,430 Senior Member
    Nothing to add, but welcome hey.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,875 Senior Member
    edited May 23 #11
    From a guys perspective, I'd go with the ear protection, and having gotten a different style/brand/model of something I asked for, too many times to mention. If he asked for the Howard Leight Impact ear protection, that's EXACTLY what I would get him.

Zee may like the walker's better, and that's great, for Zee. However, unless you happen to be Mrs Zee in disguise, his opinion probably doesn't mean much for your hubs

I know if I ask for ABC brand/model of XYZ and receive DEF brand/model instead because, "The salesman/man on the internet/ whomever said they were better" I'll graciously accept them, but inside be extremely disappointed. 
    Just the honest musings of one old married guy. YMMV 

And Welcome to the zoo. Hope you stick around a while. Pull up a chair and set a spell, we're a peaceable bunch.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,287 Senior Member
    You’re a good wife! 🤣. Welcome!

I have the Howard Leighs in both the slim (22db) for outdoor and the larger 30db Model for indoor ranges or rifle shooting.  Both are great and I’ve never managed to break one though I’ve worn out a few of the headpieces so mine are wrapped in surgical tape.

Everyone in my house owns a pair because dad buys them.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,861 Senior Member
    edited May 23 #13
    Here's my take on the AFAK (ankle first aid kit). Buy a holder and stock it yourself. I've seen too many that are a waste of good money and the pricey ones, well I'm sure they would work great but you're paying extra just to have someone else "Pack" the kit for you. Buy your own, buy quality components and pack it yourself. Most of those small compact kits revolve around controlling bleeding. To that end you'll need a pressure dressing or heavy gauze to address the wound itself. (E.g.)

A blood clotting agent like Celox for serious bleeds and a least one tourniquet as a last resort (depends on the bleed). You can get all these components yourself and they won't be as pricey as buying a ready packed kit and you trauma kit will have exactly what you want inside. For my vote, I say build your own (as long as you know what you're buying).

We actually used the gauze like the one above at an incident in Taft, CA. It worked at controlling the bleeding. What had an even greater impact on the event was a calm, comforting demeanor and some light humor. The guy who shot himself realized the situation was under control and he responded by recovering from his mild shock symptoms. He just sat there and drank the bottle of water someone got for him. When the ambulance arrived, they just looked over our handy work then put him on the gurney and loaded him into the ambulance. We didn't use the Celox or the tourniquet that day but we were still glad we had them available.

I only mention the story above because these things do happen at the range (rarely) but they do happen. That AFAK would make a great gift.
    Btw, welcome.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,749 Senior Member
    I can't offer you advice regarding your question, but I can offer a hearty welcome to the forum.  I think your hubby is a lucky guy.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,763 Senior Member
    Welcome...I've pared my blow out kit to the absolute minimum I might need to deal with gunshot wounds...just can't imagine that flopping around on my ankle..  :)
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,861 Senior Member
    I keep mine in a small back pack when I'm at the range. Alot of guys have the drop leg style but those ankle styles are bad if you don't overload them. Designed for SWAT types it wouldn't bother you too much if it's worn snuggly around your combat boot.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• RaftermanRafterman New Member Posts: 210 Member
    Welcome! For your trauma kit a lot of people like the Israeli bandage. It has multiple uses and there are many training videos on YT. If you do buy get a couple. One to practice with and one for your kit.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,784 Senior Member
    Welcome aboard. I like the ear protection idea as well.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    bWHellcat said:
    Welcome aboard. I like the ear protection idea as well.

Huh? Whad you say?

I say that in jest but I'm the "Poster Child" of using guns all my life, a good portion of which was without proper hearing protection. Now I wear $5000 hearing aids and when they aren't in my ear I'm deaf as a door nail.

Welcome to the Forum.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.