Home Main Category General Firearms

Glock Reloading Question

Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior MemberPosts: 1,350 Senior Member
edited May 23 in General Firearms #1
I know that Glock recommends against using reloaded ammo in its pistols. I know the generous chambers are an issue.

My G19 now has a Lone Wolf barrel.  If I wanted to reload ammo for it, do I need to do anything else to it?  

My plan would be to use my spent (aka free) factory brass from my Sig 365 and G19 to build low cost ammo.

I am not interested in using cast lead bullets in any case.

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,875 Senior Member
    Pretty much ALL manufacturers recommend against using hand loads. Voids the warranty, blah blah blah (legal speak)

I don't do anything different loading for my Gen1 19 than I did for any other 9mm I've loaded for.

I did have to up my load when I first got it, I had tuned my load to just barely cycle the S&W 669 I had. The glock required I up it to the starting load at least
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,350 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    Pretty much ALL manufacturers recommend against using hand loads. Voids the warranty, blah blah blah (legal speak)

I don't do anything different loading for my Gen1 19 than I did for any other 9mm I've loaded for.

I did have to up my load when I first got it, I had tuned my load to just barely cycle the S&W 669 I had. The glock required I up it to the starting load at least
    Thanks.  I
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,071 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:

This.  The only reason that statement is in the manual is to head off lawsuits if somebody does something stupid.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,426 Senior Member
    Only thing I had an issue with when loading for a G40 with a factory barrel was dealing with the brass being oversized due to the very generous chamber.  I didn't really have to change anything compared to normal.  Now I have a KKM barrel and dont worry.

I doubt you have to change anything specific for your Glock, short of tailoring the load to your specific gun.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    It's not so much that it's a "generous" chamber, it's that the 6:00 rear position of the case head is unsupported, much like a 1911, so if you're running a stock Glock tube, there's some good sense in keeping the loads away from the firewall - especially on the higher pressure options like .40 and .357 Sig.

As to the whole cast lead bullet thing, Glock simply says "don't do it" but they are not terribly forthcoming as to the why of it.  I have heard that their dimensions are weird and not terribly suited to the usual formulas for bullet diameter, and if you get that wrong, it can be a fouling nightmare. . . .but I do not KNOW this.  It's a research project I need to get off my butt and look into - what's needed is what we bullet casters call a "pound cast" which involves hammer-swaging a pure lead slug into a mostly lead-filled case in the chamber, and then measuring the result for your throat and groove dimensions.  The bore diameter we get with a pin gauge.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,425 Senior Member
    Congrats on your new barrel! 
    Loading is fine, just be wise as you do when loading for anything.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,357 Senior Member
    from what i remember, OEM glock barrels were the polygonal style, so no lead, or a good cleaning after shooting lead.

your aftermarket should be rifled with lands/grooves and should not be a problem with anything in reason.

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,861 Senior Member
    edited May 24 #9
    I have an aftermarket match barrel in my G19 and I load for it like anything else. No problems. I even pick up other peoples questionable brass and make that work also. 😁
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,426 Senior Member
    I can tell you that the entire chamber on my factory G40 barrel is larger in diameter than the KKM barrel as well as the chambers in the cylinder for my Ruger SRH.  I am well aware of the unsupported section at the back, but the whole chamber is bigger anyways.  I never got the "smile" even with some hot loads, but the brass sure does get worked a lot when you go to resize it.  One of the reasons I switched to a KKM barrel.  Being able to shoot lead was another reason, but not the primary one.