Home Main Category General Firearms

1187 problem on the weekend.......

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 8,053 Senior Member
edited May 24 in General Firearms #1
Took my V3 and one of my spare 1187's out on opening weekend. ( Will do a separate hunt report tomorrow).
Shot  on saturday with the 28" V3 for the morning and found that for some reason when swinging on a bird I would miss with the first shot connect with the second and 3rd. Put it down to the cramped conditions in the camo'ed boat not allowing me to swing freely with the longer barrel.
Sat afternoon swapped over to the spare 1187 which seemed to cure the problem as the 26" barrels and lighter weight overall enabled me to 'get on target' quicker with a quicker swing. ( think I am getting old lol)
Started sunday with the 1187..............then this happened.

Yes, I know the receiver is rusty....shooting over salt is hard on steel but its only surface rust and cleans off with a bit of oil and very fine steel wool. What happened was that the plastic end cap on the magazine closest to the breech broke, allowing the spring and the rod that pins the mag capacity to 2 shells to follow the next shell into the breech which then locked up the action tight.
I have had most of this this 1187 since 1988 and have used it for competition, culls and hunting since then.( You can see the amount of use its had by the wear on the forend)  Lost count of the number of shells put through it. I say 'most of this' cos I swapped out the wooden stock and forend  for the camo stock/forend from one of my field guns that became a spare parts gun as I didnt want to wreck the. wooden stock.
Just checked the spare parts bin and found a new end cap lol.

Finished the day with the V3 and finally got into the 'groove' by rearranging the camo to give me more freedom of movement.

Hunt report to follow tomorrow. 
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Order some extra caps and keep them in the grab bag????
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,053 Senior Member
    Order some extra caps and keep them in the grab bag????

Found 2 in my 'box o parts' which are now in my ammo box......
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,434 Senior Member
    Huh, that's a new one, never seen that part broken before.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,762 Senior Member
    When I read the subject line, I thought for sure you were going to tell us that the barrel melted down. :)

Glad you got the problem resolved.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,643 Senior Member
    Good you had a spare.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,160 Senior Member
    You're green magazine plug is installed backwards and at the wrong end of the magazine spring.  It belongs big end forward at the front of the mag.

You can also get a stainless follower from Brownells and never have that issue again.  The one you broke is of a style Remington discontinued because the dimple in the front had a nasty habit of crushing the crimp on the front of the shell and filling people's magazines with shot buffer.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,300 Senior Member
    Good thing you had a couple of spares for replacements.
    That trident is an interesting piece.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    edited May 24 #9
    tennmike said:

Ha............Wondered if it would get any attention. I needed something soft, bendy and long to poke the remains of the cap back out of the front of the mag tube. Couldnt be bothered going down to the shed at 1.30am in the rain so hunted around and found the trident. Its been sitting in a cupboard for about 15yrs and was left over from a fancy dress party one of my nieces had.

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,778 Senior Member
    Damn! .here I thought you taped it to the barrel for snagging wounded ducks
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Bigslug said:
    You're green magazine plug is installed backwards and at the wrong end of the magazine spring.  It belongs big end forward at the front of the mag.

You can also get a stainless follower from Brownells and never have that issue again.  The one you broke is of a style Remington discontinued because the dimple in the front had a nasty habit of crushing the crimp on the front of the shell and filling people's magazines with shot buffer.

Yep, it is in backward in the pic. Cleaned the gun a couple of  weeks ago ready for the season and must have put it in backwards. Noticed that it was the wrong way around when it broke. The plastic end cap hasnt aged well, the plastic is brittle and worn thin in places where it contacts the mag tube.......
    Replacement plug in........this time the correct way. The spares I have are orange plastic. nothing like a bit of bright orange to bling up an 1187   ;)

Hmm, while I am at it I might fit the Gold trigger assembly.... :s
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    Dude, you need to go right now and order you a couple new 1187s. I think they still make 'em don't they? For those to endure you for 32 years of hunting over salt water, they are truly well built. I've been wanting one for as long as they've been around. That's one great shotgun. It cured the only problem the 1100 had, it handles the gas better so you don't need a different shotgun for every different load.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,300 Senior Member
    orchidman said:
    tennmike said:

Ha............Wondered if it would get any attention. I needed something soft, bendy and long to poke the remains of the cap back out of the front of the mag tube. Couldnt be bothered going down to the shed at 1.30am in the rain so hunted around and found the trident. Its been sitting in a cupboard for about 15yrs and was left over from a fancy dress party one of my nieces had.

The ship I served on, the USS Dale DLG-19, had a double ended trident incorporated into the ship's seal. It denoted that the ship was equipped for air, surface, and below surface warfare. And any sailor worth his salt knows that the trident is the weapon of Poseidon! 
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,894 Senior Member
    Note to EVERYONE...

Keep Alec away from anvils if he has a rubber mallet
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet said:
    Note to EVERYONE...

Keep Alec away from anvils if he has a rubber mallet

It was a defective anvil, and it only happened once damnit....