Home Main Category Clubhouse

Knife Collecting Question

CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior MemberPosts: 14,205 Senior Member
I won 4 Benchmades back in 2001 or so, they are all labeled "First Proof 2 of 2", I had stashed them as graduation gifts for my 4 sons, they have not been carried and only have been handled. Son #1 already lost his, so the original group is not complete, I would like to engrave my kids names on them going forward since I did not with the first kid, I cannot find any reference if these have any additional value as proofs above the actual retail value of the knife, I do not want to engrave my kids name on it if there is some value to a collector out there, does anybody know of a group, link, or paper reference for determining value? Benchmade employees only response was " Ebay".

I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,749 Senior Member
    Can't answer your question, but I can tell you one thing. The one on the far right is one I've owned since 1998. If I ever have to cut my way through a burning airplane fuslage, I hope I'm carrying that one that day.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,575 Senior Member
    I'd put my concerns on iKnife collector,  They've got a lot of knowledge on such things.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,205 Senior Member
    Can't answer your question, but I can tell you one thing. The one on the far right is one I've owned since 1998. If I ever have to cut my way through a burning airplane fuslage, I hope I'm carrying that one that day.

Mike
    Yeah, they are all stout an lock up tight, I bought a Benchmade for my self because of these, as I look at mine now, no model # on it?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Gene L said:
    I'd put my concerns on iKnife collector,  They've got a lot of knowledge on such things.
    Thanks Gene, I will look closer at that site.
    edited May 2020 #6
    CHIRO1989 said:

Mike
    Yeah, they are all stout an lock up tight, I bought a Benchmade for my self because of these, as I look at mine now, no model # on it?
    710 Axis Lock, designed by McHennery & Williams.
    Doesn't get much better.
    N454casull
    CHIRO1989 said:

Mike
    710 Axis Lock, designed by McHennery & Williams.
    Doesn't get much better.
    ooop, sorry, mine in my hand has no model # on it. 
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Just a guess, but I would think that the collectability value of any knife would be damaged by such engraving.  
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Just a guess, but I would think that the collectability value of any knife would be damaged by such engraving.  
    Well yeah, I am trying to ascertain if I should engrave them because they have no collectibility with the engraving that is already on them or they are worth something North of the original prices and desirable enough to a collector to not muck them up with my kids names on them, if they are worth something I would just deal with the collector and replace them with comparable knives without the provenance. 
  • bklysenbklysen Member Posts: 510 Senior Member
    Some time ago when we used to do knife threads pretty often, that one you mentioned and that Linefinder knows....seems to be completely off the market/out of production. 
    I wonder whether that might impact your thinking? Just curious...

If I'm wrong about the availability, someone who knows...please let me know where you see it for sale?

The 710 Axis Lock has been unobtainum for years. Can't figure out why Bench Made discontinued the best folder they ever produced.

Mike
    N454casull
    bklysen said:
    Some time ago when we used to do knife threads pretty often, that one you mentioned and that Linefinder knows....seems to be completely off the market/out of production. 
    I wonder whether that might impact your thinking? Just curious...

If I'm wrong about the availability, someone who knows...please let me know where you see it for sale?

The 710 Axis Lock has been unobtainum for years. Can't figure out why Bench Made discontinued the best folder they ever produced.

Mike
    Yeah, this fact on the 710 in particular gave me pause, the fact that there is a "set" that I have due to the engraving got me on my quest, I have to wait for approval from the mods on iKnife Collector to post my inquiry.
    knitepoet said:

Mike
    Probably because of the cost leading to poor sells.
    My ATS34 710 is the most expensive knife I own.

Buying it from a truck stop knife shop in El Paso probably didn't help with the cost
    $160 two decades ago for a folder is a pretty tough price point to maintain, for sure.

Mike
    N454casull