Home Main Category General Firearms

Well crap! I think I found my Sharps Rifle.

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 23,550 Senior Member
And while not cheap, affordable. 

I was innocently pursuing Bud’s Gun Shop when this sucker jumps out at me!

It’s a Lyman Model 1878 Sharps made by Pedersoli. 

(By the way, G&A........the above article is the BEST gun review I have read in a VERY long time!  Take notes. That......is how you review a gun.  Good points. Bad points. Details.)

Dang it!  I gotta start saving pennies. 

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,658 Senior Member
    That is SWEET!
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 522 Senior Member
    Yeah I can see you whackin some piggies with that.....maybe a few deer losing there minds to it also.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Nice looking rifle!

The original black powder rifles were usually modified by gun smiths of that time for buffalo hunters. The mod was an improvement to the extractor.

40 and 44 caliber were prefered from what Ive read.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,825 Senior Member
    I have looked at that model in person and at least the examples I have seen were very fine fit and finish. Don’t think you can go wrong.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,422 Senior Member
    Looks like a nice rifle! That should be a fun piggy whacker. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,287 Senior Member
    Pedersoli makes FINE guns!  I can’t wait to see what that sucker can do in your hands!!!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,762 Senior Member
    Nice rifles!! You'll love it!!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,763 Senior Member
    Nice rifle! In my Pedersoli Sharps, I have found it digests pretty much everything I've fed it well, from 405 grain smokeless (Varget) loads to 535 grain Postell black powder (2F) loads...
    I've learned that the shotgun style buttplate is way preferable to the classic crescent style....
    I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how far out that thing will shoot...
    You'll have some fun with that thing.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,550 Senior Member
    It’s gonna take awhile to save. Maybe by this fall. But, that’s the first good looking one at a reasonable price I’ve ever seen. 
    Nice looking rifle!

The original black powder rifles were usually modified by gun smiths of that time for buffalo hunters. The mod was an improvement to the extractor.

40 and 44 caliber were prefered from what Ive read.
    Here's every cartridge that Sharps chambered their rifles for from .40-70 to .50-90 (apart from custom chamberings). Some are paper patched.....

I’ve been toying with the idea of one of these.
    https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/tipologia-prodotti.asp/l_en/idt_62/rifles-1859-e-1863-sharps.html
    paper cartridge adds a whole new level of frustration  :p
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    "I HAVE YOU NOW!" - Darth Vader. :D

You're about to start casting bullets buddy.  Just sayin'.  

I'm assuming you're going with the vanilla-standard .45-70?

This is more my old man's ball of wax, but I've absorbed a lot of classic single shot stuff through osmosis. 

Twist rate can matter depending on what pills you plan to shoot. 

Intended distance can matter because they make tang sights that vary greatly in height, and that can affect the model you'll want to buy because comb-height can become an issue when you start going from cheek weld to chin weld.

You're already looking at a pistol-grip stock - GOOD!

I think you'll probably really dig the long range game with big slow bullets.  Others far more steeped in that lore can guide you better.

The Sharps is one of my LESS favorite single shots of the period, simply because you have to really get your brain and hands into that particular rifle's zone to properly go through and keep track of the steps of firing one:  Half cock, open, load, close, full-cock, set the set-trigger (if so equipped), fire, pull back external adjustment scope in its mounts (if equipped), and repeat.  They are undeniably wicked-cool, but they aren't as easy to mentally dive into as, say, an 1885 High Wall immediately after putting down your bolt action deer rifle.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    edited May 24 #14
    sakodude said:
    https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/tipologia-prodotti.asp/l_en/idt_62/rifles-1859-e-1863-sharps.html
    My father-in-law has one...fun gun in spite of the fiddling with nitrated paper and all....
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Britishmuzzleloaders on youtube has an excellent tutorial on paper patching bullets. IIRC it was for the 577 Snyder conversion, but the same procedure would work for a Sharps.

For someone with time management issues, I'd guess 45-70 cast lead and fast burning smokeless powders like 5744 and 3031 might be the way to go.

Smaller calibers might be more economical of both components and fatigue at the range. 
    sakodude said:
    Yeah, I’m not ready for that. 
    If you want to try some of my heavy bullets 535 grain Postell, just let me know and I'll send you some...I also have some 300 grain cast hollow points if you want to try something different
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 430 Member
    I'll never understand how (not gun people) exist. How could anyone look at something like that and not see the pure beauty in it?
    edited May 24 #19
    I'll never understand how (not gun people) exist. How could anyone look at something like that and not see the pure beauty in it?
    They are certainly works of art, even the plain ones...
    This is my pair

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,422 Senior Member
    I have a few 500 grain bullets for you when you are ready.. Just let me know. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    I don’t see casting in my future. Not that impressed with the terminal results to start making Bullets that don’t do what I want. 
    But, that being said, I see this gun with 300 grain Hornady Hollow Points at speed that I already use, or 405 grain WFN-GC and Trail Boss for fun. 
    You might end up disappointed, Sharps rifles are not really designed to push light jacketed bullets fast. Probably ought to look at the Browning B78 or modern Winchester 1885 if that’s the goal.
    Then I’m fine with the 405 and Trail Boss. 
    That’s where the fun is anyway. There is certainly some middle ground you can play in as well, they just are not the platform for pushing the envelope as you So enjoy :#
    sakodude said:
    That’s where the fun is anyway. There is certainly some middle ground you can play in as well, they just are not the platform for pushing the envelope as you So enjoy :#
    I don’t mind plodding along with the right tool. 😁
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,664 Senior Member
    That really looks like fun and a fine piece of equipment to own.
    I can't wait for when we can leave this area 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    I have always wanted one. But the good looking ones in the style I liked were always cost prohibitive. 

This one might actually be attainable. Just need to stay focused and not get distracted 
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,762 Senior Member
    45-70 would be the most versatile. If you stick with the 405's 12 grains of TB is pleasant and accurate. 40 grains of 3031 equals the old BP load. 
    edited May 25 #29
    The rifle he's looking at is only available in .45-70....but I know a couple of guys who rechambered theirs to .45-90 and .45-120 respectively. The latter regreted the decision...
    I’ll stick with .45-70 as I already have brass and bullets. 
    Yep...plenty of "oomph" in a .45-70....I shot an old dry doe with one of those 535s over 68 grains of FFG....The results were......predictable...