Home Main Category Clubhouse

This thread is for the Birds!

Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 600 Senior Member
edited May 2020 in Clubhouse #1
I have a question for any of you who feed Baltimore Orioles. 

Do you own stock in a Jelly manufacturing company?  

We had a couple stop by last spring, and I put some orange slices and some grape jelly in an extra platform feeder we had.  They stopped by for a few days and then we no longer saw them around.  This year I had a couple of dedicated oriole feeders set up before they arrived and for the past couple of weeks have had at least two pairs showing up, and holy smoke, I have gone through more jelly in two weeks than I go through in a year with six grand kids visiting once a month!

They are cool looking birds, and now when I hear one calling in the woods I know it is an Oriole. 

I hope they stick around for the summer, they make a nice colorful addition to the Cardinals, Red Wing Blackbirds, Blue Jays, Indigo Buntings, Eastern Bluebirds, Purple Finches, American Goldfinches, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, Hairy Woodpeckers, Downy Woodpeckers, Red-bellied Woodpeckers and Ruby-throated Hummingbirds that are regulars at our house, as well as a myriad of less colorful birds.  Get a Pileated woodpecker that will stop by in March / early April which is neat because where we live is not considered part of their normal habitat.
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
"I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee

Replies

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,664 Senior Member
    We have a nesting pair of Pilated, Redheaded, and Redbellied Woodpeckers nearby. The Pilated never let you forget they are around. Always yapping......

I have seen Northern Flickers around and  a Sapsucker.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,118 Senior Member
    At the Amish stores around here you can buy grape jelly in 5 gal. Buckets...
    We were being,g mobbed with Orioles for a few weeks...it's settled down some and we are seeing a lot of fledgelings now...

I made our jelly feeders out of mason jelly jars twisted into a wire loop...still filling them 3 times a day...since the Grosbeaks and one Gray Squirrel took a liking to it...

We have pretty much the same birds with the addition of Red-Headed Woodpeckers and our family of Piliateds (Pterodactyls) are daily visitors year round..

In addition we have Turkeys and Sandhill Cranes that come in and clean up spillage in the morning.

The wife has struck up a relationship with a Raven that gets boiled eggs and breakfast leftovers in the morning...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 600 Senior Member
    edited May 2020 #4
    We get a couple of Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers poking holes in our maple trees in the spring as they migrate further north.  Somewhere in the woods to the west of my house there is a community of Sandhill Cranes - those are some noisy birds, and pretty impressive when they fly over en-mass.  
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Some_Mook said:
    We get a couple of Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers poking holes in our maple trees in the spring as they migrate further north.  Somewhere in the woods to the west of my house there is a community of Sandhill Cranes - those are some noisy birds, and pretty impressive when they fly over en-mass.  
    Amen on those cranes being noisy.  Several years ago, I was antelope hunting on the eastern plains of Colorado.  That year, the grass was knee high in a lot of places.  I kept hearing this weird, semi-garbled warbling, and thought there were some small birds in the grass that I was hearling.  It wasn't until later in the day that I just happened to look up and see a flock of cranes overhead and hear the noise.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Jayhawker said:

Two of my SILs have cottages near Gladwin, I know there is an Amish community near there somewhere north of Clare, I'll have to have the wife check when she visits her sisters.  

Some_Mook said:
    Jayhawker said:

Two of my SILs have cottages near Gladwin, I know there is an Amish community near there somewhere north of Clare, I'll have to have the wife check when she visits her sisters.  

Of course, the downside of buying grape jelly in mass quantities is a lot of grape jelly, which I cannot stand

I guess I could just set the leftovers out back for the bears...
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,749 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Some_Mook said:
    Jayhawker said:

Of course, the downside of buying grape jelly in mass quantities is a lot of grape jelly, which I cannot stand

I guess I could just set the leftovers out back for the bears...
    If you think that's bad.....you should be married to my wife. Jelly is her "thing" and I've had everything from rose hips, elderberry, spruce, worms, and left-over plastic bottles for the base.

Grape is pretty tolerable.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
    edited May 2020 #9
    Not sure what feeder you're using for the Oriole's but this one works great. Have two hanging in the backyard under the lemon tree for the Hooded and Bullock's Oriole's. Woodlink I think the name is. The only downside to these is that the bees tend to crawl in and drown themselves. Also, has a water trap in the middle to keep the ants off.See the source image

I'm using half pint jelly jars..
    Ants don't have a chance to get to them before they're cleaned out.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,749 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    I'm using half pint jelly jars..
    Ants don't have a chance to get to them before they're cleaned out.
    That's pretty serious.

Good luck to the bears!

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    Not sure what feeder you're using for the Oriole's but this one works great. Have two hanging in the backyard under the lemon tree for the Hooded and Bullock's Oriole's. Woodlink I think the name is. The only downside to these is that the bees tend to crawl in and drown themselves. Also, has a water trap in the middle to keep the ants off.

Using these at this time, we don't put coloring in the sugar water, picture is from the manufacturer website,  The hummingbirds seem to prefer the oriole nectar feeder on the left over their own two, and this year for the first time one of the downy woodpeckers has been drinking out of it as well.  The feeder on the right is bee proof.  Started adding meal worms to the jelly feeder in the center today and will see how that goes.

• bklysenbklysen Member Posts: 510 Senior Member
    edited May 2020 #13
    I think this is the first year I've noticed fledglings. And they seem a bit bolder than I recall in the past. If I'm in the yard anywhere near the feeders when one or more come through, and I don't move off right away, I get a full-throat tongue lashing until I move off. That is a lot of chatter.

And yes, we've gone through a lot of jelly - along with oranges which ain't real cheap right now. Over here the robins are the ones that tend to pig out and since they're a bit larger these orioles wait for them to finish. 

Between the orioles, robins, house finches and grosbeaks the ants don't really stand a chance. 
    edited May 2020 #14
    Some_Mook said:
    Not sure what feeder you're using for the Oriole's but this one works great. Have two hanging in the backyard under the lemon tree for the Hooded and Bullock's Oriole's. Woodlink I think the name is. The only downside to these is that the bees tend to crawl in and drown themselves. Also, has a water trap in the middle to keep the ants off.

Using these at this time, we don't put coloring in the sugar water, picture is from the manufacturer website,  The hummingbirds seem to prefer the oriole nectar feeder on the left over their own two, and this year for the first time one of the downy woodpeckers has been drinking out of it as well.  The feeder on the right is bee proof.  Started adding meal worms to the jelly feeder in the center today and will see how that goes.

What's weird is that the Hooded Orioles in my area won't touch the jelly but the Bullock's Orioles will gobble it up. So will the Mockingbirds of all things. Speaking of Mockingbird; they sure are singing away right now. There's a couple of them that will perch in the tree next to the house and it's pure comedy listening to them sing the darnedest tunes all night. They drive the wife crazy but I think they're neat to listen to. 
    Crazy the sounds that this bird can imitate. 

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,690 Senior Member
    The chainsaw imitation is cool!
    Crazy the sounds that this bird can imitate. 

Neat!  👍
  • bklysenbklysen Member Posts: 510 Senior Member
    That is one crazy menu of sounds from a single bird. And hard to believe that chainsaw started on first pull. 
    bklysen said:
    That is one crazy menu of sounds from a single bird. And hard to believe that chainsaw started on first pull. 
    Must have been a Stihl or Husky - Lol!