Home Main Category Clubhouse

5 gallons of beer brewing

JayJay Senior MemberPosts: 4,508 Senior Member
Actually, this is the second batch. I started one last week, but I’d stored everything too long without being temp controlled and the yeast was dead. Never fermented. 

Oh well. Dumped that batch, cleaned and sanitized everything and got a new batch started. And I’ll start another 5 gallons after I bottle this one. 😮🍻

This will be watermelon wheat beer. I’ve made it before. Great, refreshing summer beer. And, chicks dig it.. 🤪 ABV should come in around 4.8-5.3%. Should get somewhere around 100 12oz bottles out of both batches. About 1 week fermenting, then 2 weeks in the bottles carbonating. Batch 2 will of course be one week behind batch 1.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Is that enough for 99 bottles???

And more importantly. How big are your walls???
     :) 
  • DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
    Is that enough for 99 bottles???

And more importantly. How big are your walls???
     :) 
    Ain't gonna matter because we'll both take one down and pass it around...
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,508 Senior Member
    Given the current circumstances, I believe passing them around is discouraged. We’ll have to resort to take one down and stay 6 feet away. I prefer to not pass my beer around anyway... get your own.. 🤷🏻‍♂️🍻
    In actuality, most of this will probably be given away. I get far more satisfaction out of other people enjoying it than I do drinking it myself...
    I also have to learn how to incorporate pecans into beer. 

My my mom owns pecan orchards. But aside from that, I have a few pecans off a certain tree I planted last year I have to make beer out of, just ‘cause...
  • bklysenbklysen Member Posts: 517 Senior Member
    This brings back a few memories. I used to brew for quite a few years, and I remember a few of 'em that just didn't turn out quite right. Called those dumper braus, and fed it to company. But never had a shortage of willing participants when it came too free beer.
    I had a separate, dedicated fridge to hold 2 or 3 corny kegs (is that what they're still called?) so 2-3 different taps on hand was pretty cool.
    Not really sure why, but the hobby sort of ran it's course with me. Now I kinda miss it.
    I haven’t got into kegging. Don’t know much about it. A buddy of mine brews and kegs. 

It kinda comes and goes for me. I’ll get on a kick for a while, then not do it for a while. It’s pretty time consuming, so I burn out. Takes me a good half a day to get one started and another half day to bottle. That’s where kegging can be nice. 
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,455 Senior Member
    wheat beer     You got me with those two words.  Did I mention that "I LIKE BEER"?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    This one is a really good beer.  Whenever I mention it being watermelon wheat, some folks aren't too sure about that.  But the watermelon is very subtle. You actually smell it more than you taste it.  It's a really flavorful, refreshing beer with just a light touch of watermelon flavor.  Good stuff for a hot summer afternoon..
    First batch is bottled. Got 12 16oz bottles and 26 12oz bottles out of this batch. 2-3 weeks to naturally carbonate in the bottles, and they’ll be ready.. it came in a little low at 4.5% ABV. Works for me...

• minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 823 Senior Member
    I used to enjoy brewing beer, then the craft beer scene exploded and I just enjoy trying all sorts of new beer and have since quit brewing.