Home Main Category General Firearms

45-70 loading advice

Replies

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,426 Senior Member
    edited May 28 #32
    If you want a heavier .459 diameter try these.

http://www.acmebullet.com/bullets-reloading-brass/458%20SOCOM?product_id=537

Looking at some of the GC Montana bullets as options for my little .458.  Dangit, why does this forum always have to somehow introduce me to or remind me of more options???
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,811 Senior Member
    I got a few toys in..  B)

Still have some stuff in the process.  With everything going on, getting orders out and shipping seems to be pretty delayed.  My rifle from Bud's still hasn't shipped and some of the other bullets and stuff I've ordered either hasn't shipped or is delayed in shipping.  Oh well... life goes on.  At least I can get brass prepped and maybe get a few test loads ready before the rifle gets here.

I also ordered a case for the new rifle.  Figured, if I'm going to buy what should be a pretty nice rifle, might as well have a pretty nice case to carry it in..
    http://csharpsarms.com/catalog-detail/135/Quigley-Style-Sharps-Rifle-Case.html
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,588 Senior Member
    Nice!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,026 Senior Member
    Jay said:
    I got a few toys in..  B)

Still have some stuff in the process.  With everything going on, getting orders out and shipping seems to be pretty delayed.  My rifle from Bud's still hasn't shipped and some of the other bullets and stuff I've ordered either hasn't shipped or is delayed in shipping.  Oh well... life goes on.  At least I can get brass prepped and maybe get a few test loads ready before the rifle gets here.

I also ordered a case for the new rifle.  Figured, if I'm going to buy what should be a pretty nice rifle, might as well have a pretty nice case to carry it in..
    http://csharpsarms.com/catalog-detail/135/Quigley-Style-Sharps-Rifle-Case.html
    That case is awesome.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    edited June 3 #36
    I just had a sudden wave of hate towards you. Looking at Lyman pics. 
    Just wanted you to know. You may still be my French Model........but the Pimp Hand is gonna come out next time we meet. 
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,322 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Just wanted you to know. You may still be my French Model........but the Pimp Hand is gonna come out next time we meet. 
    🤣🤣🤣

Anyway, that case is perfect!!!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

🤣🤣🤣

This is your fault!  You’re the one who led me to it... 

I guess I won’t mention that it shipped this morning.. oh, wait...

Ill try to remember to duck....
    Jay said:
    🤣🤣🤣

Won't work.  He'll get you on the way down cause he's already there...  :D

He's crafty...

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Jay said:
    🤣🤣🤣

GunNut said:
    Jay said:
    🤣🤣🤣

He's crafty...
    Yeah.  But if I duck, he'll miss the nuts and get me in the face... 
    You assume he isnt bringing his son with him.  He is shorter and younger, so he should be able to get lower.  The jewels may not be safe after all.  We know he has been taught well and has good aim. 
  • N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 537 Senior Member
  • N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 537 Senior Member
    Zee said:

edited June 3 #45
    Jay said:
    GunNut said:
    Jay said:
    🤣🤣🤣

He's crafty...
    Yeah.  But if I duck, he'll miss the nuts and get me in the face... 
    I stand corrected.  Brilliant move!

But remember he's a bitter too...

:D 

Being the first time I’ve ordered coated lead bullets, is this considered normal? Maybe I’m overreacting, but I’m not too impressed. And not sure I want to send that down the bore of a pretty nice rifle. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I thought that coating would be a little more durable than to be flaking off in the box.

Nope. I’ve bought one batch. Won’t buy another. 
    Well, seems like I made the same mistake then. I won’t be ordering any more either. If they can’t handle a trip in a box, what’re they gonna do going down my bore?... That sucks. $45 wasted... live and learn..
    Shoot them up. But, I wouldn’t buy more. 
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,778 Senior Member
    I wouldn't worry too much about shooting them...they are still far softer than your bore...but you may have a job of cleaning to do...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    I have never had any arrive that bad.  The only ones I have had issues with were also ACME though.  The Missouri Bullet Company ones always came in looking just fine.  I suspect QC has suffered due to demand.  This would be unacceptable to me, especially given the cost.
  • gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 423 Member
    I have shot some coated bullets from Acme and have never seen that I don't think that it will hurt your bore shooting them and I'm also not sure if that coating even survives the ignition and flight down the barrel
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,767 Senior Member
    I'd call ACME about that!! Look's like a QC issue!
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,026 Senior Member
    the other only coated bullets I’ve ordered (Gallant Bullets) were much more durable than that, and the coating did not flake off.  AAMOF, most of the coating was stil on the bullets I recovered from targets
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Thanks guys. It didn't seem normal to me either.  And I haven't even dug into the box yet.  That's just what's on top that I saw as soon as I opened it.  I'll let Acme know.  I'm not going to go through the trouble of sending them back or anything.  I guess I knew the flaking coating wouldn't hurt my bore, but I think it's pretty obvious that stuff is going to end up all over the inside of my bore, which will have to be cleaned.  I'll try a few and, if I don't notice anything really troubling, I'll just shoot them and not order any more.  I'll stick with gas checked or soft lead, depending on application.

These 500 grain bullets were only intended for subsonic loads using Trail Boss, just to play with.  Not going to be pushing them hard. I don't have a BC value on these bullets, but plugging in a BC of .3, based off a similar bullet shape that I found with a BC of .29, I get this thing at just under 700 fps at 1000 yards when started at 1025 fps.  Of course, thats with almost 2300 inches of drop with a 100 yard zero...  :D
    Fingers crossed, hopefully be able to start a new thread with pics this afternoon... If UPS can deliver before 1300..  B)
    Shut your pie hole!!!
    Just giving you a heads up.  Have the cigarette ready and a cold shower running... 
    Jay said:
    Just giving you a heads up.  Have the cigarette ready and a cold shower running... 
    By this point, I’ve already gone blind.