Home Main Category Hunting

Hunt report Day 2....

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 8,145 Senior Member
edited May 2020 in Hunting #1
After it became too dark to shoot, I had a quick snack of venison back steaks, fried potatoes, and set the boat up for sleeping. Re-adjusted the cover to be watertight as it looked like it might rain, checked that everything was shipshape and made a large mug of coffee with a wee dram of Glenfiddich to sip on.
My boat btw is a relatively deep v. To stop the boat falling over onto one side when the tide goes out I have made a wooden prop to sit under the transom grab handle on one side to hold it up, and I tie the other side up to a tree to stop it dropping...That way the boat stays level. Made a mental note to check the prop at high tide so it didnt get displaced when the boat floated and hit the sack. Woke at high tide, looked over the side to see the prop floating next to the boat so dragged it aboard and went back to sleep.......

Woke 4 hrs later to answer a call of nature, ( the boat was high and dry by then) and instead of putting my waders on and getting out of the boat I decided to relieve myself over the side.......so I stand up, put one foot on the gunwale and leaned over a bit to clear the boat..................yup, you guessed it, without the prop in place the boat fell over on to its port side catapulting me over the side........managed to grab hold of a handy branch which stopped me falling in the mud but with my feet hooked over the gunwale I ended up horizontal to the mud stretched between the boat and the mangrove tree I was desperately clinging to. While I was trying to figure out how to extricate myself without going face down in the mud, it started to rain.........and I started laughing.......Took me a while to extricate myself and although I was wet I crawled back into my sleeping bag and dropped off to sleep, thankful I didnt do a full faceplant into the puddle I had just created....

Woke just after 5am, made bacon and eggs then coffee and sat back to wait for daylight. Finally it was light enough to shoot so I rearranged the camo and settled in for the morning flight. Nek Minute I see a White Faced Heron flying low across the mud aiming directly for me. As it got to within a metre or two it reversed its wings and landed on the side of the boat!!.......It then hopped around so that it was facing out board and preened its feathers. It was less than 2' from my face.......and only separated from me by a mangrove branch which was part of the boat camo...... Staying as still as a rock I observed it for a couple of  minutes then tried to ease my ph out of my top pocket to get some pics......It heard me, looked over its shoulder at me with what I believe was a shocked expression on its face then took off. Unfortunately it got such a shock that it did what most birds do, and crapped in the boat. White face Herons eat small fish, crabs etc and you can imagine the smell its 'deposit' left. Spent the next 10 mins cleaning up the mess and almost puking. It only flew about 25m before landing so I managed to get a couple of pics as it wandered through the dekes....

Didnt see a single bird for the first 90 mins so I decided to pull the decoys and move back to the spot where I first started duck hunting 59yrs ago. ( It was about 500m away and I figured that with the wind getting up it would prove to be more productive when the tide rose as the rough water would force the ducks to seek shelter). Spent the next 90 minutes walking through knee deep mud retrieving all 49 dekes and finished just as the tide reached the boat.....managed to drag the boat through the mud far enough to get it floated and relocated to the place I wanted. Got the dekes and Robo duck set . Parked in the mangroves and had only just loaded up when BH arrived. He pulled up next to me and while we had a chat the birds started flying in. They came in singles and pairs and we enjoyed some good shooting...

Here is a pic of BH camo'ed up.....playing with his bloody mobile!!!

At one stage immediately after a pair of mallards came through and stayed for dinner, the shots disturbed a mob of Greater Canada geese from the farm behind us and although I called they flew past about 100m out and landed in open water. Shortly after that a small mob ( about 8) flew out to join them. This time my calling brought them within range, albeit a bit high and although I hit the same bird twice it didnt drop. BH managed to bring one down with a broken wing which we promptly finished off.
We pulled the pin as the water dropped, retrieved the dekes and headed back to the ramp around 2.30pm. Total for the day was 9 mallards and 1 Canada......giving us a combined total of 22 mallards and the Canada for the 2 days.
Being competitive, we had a drag race back to the ramp in 1- 2 1/2 foot waves bouncing our way home. BH has a new outboard (25hp Yamaha) and I was worried that finally he had the edge in speed over me.....so we stopped in the mouth of the river and had a standing start drag race. He is quicker onto the plane.......but I still have half a knot higher than him on the top end.......So now I am heading to the outboard shop to replace my worn aluminium prop with a brand new Stainless one which should give me an extra  2 knots top speed...... :D

Heading up tomorrow to take Mark out for an afternoon hunt......
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,111 Senior Member
    Cool story, Alec.  You sure make duck hunting sound like a lot of work, though.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,570 Senior Member
    Love it!
    Good times!!!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,882 Senior Member
    Old man camping tip #7

Empty jug under the cot.....
    Old man camping tip #7

I hope you're using "empty" as a pronoun, and not a verb.  :D
    Jerry

Old man camping tip #7

Well I feel foolish.  Change "pronoun" to "adjective".  My bad.  :#
    Jerry

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,453 Senior Member
    That sounds like a fun hunt was had by you and BH! And some good food for the table, too.
    That's some beautiful water to hunt waterfowl over; makes me envious. And your cooking that good stuff to eat on the boat is something else. That is some good times!

I don't have to imagine the smell that heron left in your boat, though. I was fishing with a couple of my friends in a carpeted bass boat. We decided to go upriver a few miles and my friend that owned the boat had us going pretty fast. A blue heron was in front of us and the other guy said something to the effect of 'get behind him and I'll catch him!" I told my friend driving the boat that that was a bad move, but he did it anyway. We were right behind the heron and the guy wanting to catch the bird was kneeling on the bow. As he reached for the legs the bird saw him and 'pumped the bilges' and swerved off. Guy on the bow got about a quart of digested shad minnows on his shirt and in his face, and all over the carpeted bow. The smell could have knocked buzzards off a gut wagon at 100 yards. I laughed until I almost passed out! :D The guy that got 'whitewashed' puked up the remnants of everything he'd eaten in the last few months. We pulled into a shallow area and he jumped out of the boat in water up to his waist and ripped his shirt off and gave himself a good washing down. We attempted to wash down the bow of the boat using a bait bucket, but it was no use; that carpet held onto that stink like a pit bull hangs onto a pork chop. Guy threw his shirt on the bank, and we went back to the dock; can't fish in a boat that smells like that! Boat owner took his boat to a do-it-yourself car wash and got most of it out of the carpet. And you know I didn't tell anyone at the nuke plant about the 'incident'. :D 
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,882 Senior Member
    Old man camping tip #7

It all depends on time and coffee.......
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,322 Senior Member
    I LOVE your stories.  Mentally I'm right there with you on that boat brother.  Thanks!!!!!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,570 Senior Member
    Day 3???
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,145 Senior Member
    Day 3???

Was thinking of staying out for day 3, but the tides where I shoot were not favorable.
    Did take a run out on wed for a couple of hours to take Mark for a hunt. Only had had one bird come in. Mark missed, I didnt.
    Just finished 2 charters so need to do some chores for a couple of days ......Wed tide looks good so will plan to head out and chase some birds.

To all who have commented, thanks. I love my hunting and fishing. It has been the one constant in a world which has gone crazy, esp lately, and provides a strong counterbalance to all the crap life throws.

Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,250 Senior Member
    edited May 2020 #12
    Alec,

You remind me a lot of me. 

While I've gotten used to it, my heart goes out for you. It's tough sometimes.

But you come back laughing. It's what we do.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull