Home Main Category General Firearms

Clear up Scope confusion

Diver43Diver43 Senior MemberPosts: 10,681 Senior Member
First or Second focal plane  FFP or SFP? That is the question.
If I have it halfway straight Second focal plane would normally work best for hunting in the woods and shooting shorter distances.  First focal plane would work better for the shooting we see Ernie and Zee writing about.  Much longer distance in open country.
Right?
What I am unsure of is;  When using say rimfire at 100 yards.   .17hmr at 150 yards or .22lr at 100.  Part of me says for the round its a ways and field of view does not need to be wide when shooting paper or coke cans, so FFP. The other half of me says its not far and what if I want to shoot a squirrel, rabbit, coyote, or.....  SFP might be better.
The more I think about it the more unsure I am.
Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,588 Senior Member
    edited May 28 #2
    Over simplify:
    If you’re using the turrets: SFP
    If you’re using the reticle: FFP

Makes life easier.

When was dialing, it didn’t really matter. As long as my turrets were true. Once I stopped dialing and started holding reticle...........FFP became a necessity. 

Pegasus will be along to give you technicalities.  I’m just an end user. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,681 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Over simplify:
    If you’re using the turrets: SFP
    If you’re using the reticle: FFP

Makes life easier.

When was dialing, it didn’t really matter. As long as my turrets were true. Once I stopped dialing and started holding reticle...........FFP became a necessity. 

Pegasus will be along to give you technicalities.  I’m just an end user. 
    So. Caliber and distance I really not part of the equation?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Your OP was a little confusing to me and so is your second question. 

Remember, my knuckles drag the ground. 
    If you’re asking if a .22lr requires a FFP Scope, I would say no. But, that doesn’t mean you can’t. 
    edited May 28 #6
    Zee said:
    If you’re asking if a .22lr requires a FFP Scope, I would say no. But, that doesn’t mean you can’t. 
    Pretty much what I meant
    As most consider 100 yards fairly far with a .22, but a chipshot with a .308 or .ugh uh uhm .270.

Scopes are a fairly new commodity to me, the ARMY taught me to shoot a M-16 and that is all I ever used except for maybe a .22 rifle with a Tasco scope.  Open sights on a rifle for deer and one elk is all I ever used.  

You either grew a bit or put a bandage on the knuckles, you understood what I didnt know how to say.

Pegasus would have confused me to the point i would just leave the Simmons BigChief gave me on it.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,425 Senior Member
    What specific scopes are you looking at?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    edited May 28 #8
    What specific scopes are you looking at?
    None in particular at the moment just beginning to shop. 
    Vortex makes a few that should make small groups or hitting a pop can at 100 yards or so not too difficult
    Heck I hit the coke can at 100 with the cheap 22 mag scope
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 528 Senior Member
    If you can find one of the old weaver K6''s it would work pretty well for that.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,071 Senior Member
    I put a pair of these on my son's Marlin Glenfield 25 and my daughter's Mossberg 702 Plinkster.  I have been very happy with the performance.  I had them shooting steel at 100 yards and it was consistently one hit after another for about 200 rounds.  My son shoots the caps off water bottles at 50 yards with boring regularity.

Budget?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Budget = hopefully less than 250.00 ish
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,232 Senior Member
    Tract is worth a look. I have the 22 Fire on a rimfire and really like it. 

They offer a veterans discount if you send them a note requesting it. 
    JKP said:
    Tract is worth a look. I have the 22 Fire on a rimfire and really like it. 

They offer a veterans discount if you send them a note requesting it. 
    Their  4-12 looks interesting but not available until Sept
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,865 Senior Member
    I thought this article was an interesting read. Maybe, it might help.
    It's written by a contributor to Recoil Magazine. He also wrote a nice article on reloading.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    Hey Ron, what power Simmons is it that Chief gave you? Also, is it a dedicated .22 scope? Does it have an adjustable Objective or side focus to adjust for parallax? IActually, even shooting a .22 or .17 HRM, if you're shooting 100 yards or more it should be fine for parallax. If you can shoot it well with the Simmons why change?
    I've got a Simmons 3-9 8 Point on my Ruger 10/22 and I shoot bug hole groups all day at 50 yards.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 said:
    Hey Ron, what power Simmons is it that Chief gave you? Also, is it a dedicated .22 scope? Does it have an adjustable Objective or side focus to adjust for parallax? IActually, even shooting a .22 or .17 HRM, if you're shooting 100 yards or more it should be fine for parallax. If you can shoot it well with the Simmons why change?
    I've got a Simmons 3-9 8 Point on my Ruger 10/22 and I shoot bug hole groups all day at 50 yards.
    It is a 3-9 x 32 AO  22 MAG

At the shoot a couple years ago we had the shoot a coke can at 100 yards.  CPJ hit it on the first shot, it took me a couple trys but once i got it.  BigDan supplied a brick of 22 ammo as he said it couldnt be done.  Fishead made a pop can sized target, Dan gave me the ammo since he didnt make it and CPJ won.  Now I think about it, none of them are around anymore.........

As a gift from out late friend, I will always keep the scope, but I just want something with a higher magnification for making holes real close to each other
    edited May 29 #18
    SWFA had reliable turrets, good reticle, and quite a bit of internal adjustment for a good price.  Their fixed 10x and 12x 30mm tubes I use on centerfire rifles and SP's.

Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    SWFA had reliable turrets, good reticle, and quite a bit of internal adjustment for a good price.  Their fixed 10x and 12x 30mm tubes I use on centerfire rifles and SP's.

Thank You
    I never gave a fixed power a thought
    Now I have even more to look at tomorrow
    edited May 29 #20
    Diver43 said:
    Zee said:
    Pretty much what I meant
    As most consider 100 yards fairly far with a .22, but a chipshot with a .308 or .ugh uh uhm .270.

Scopes are a fairly new commodity to me, the ARMY taught me to shoot a M-16 and that is all I ever used except for maybe a .22 rifle with a Tasco scope.  Open sights on a rifle for deer and one elk is all I ever used.  

You either grew a bit or put a bandage on the knuckles, you understood what I didnt know how to say.

Pegasus would have confused me to the point i would just leave the Simmons BigChief gave me on it.

Dude, my ragged ol' .270 actually gains velocity past 100. 100 yards is just its warmup lap. Ain't no Chrono can clock it. It actually pulls the paint off buildings. It requires the Hubble Telescope to realize its potential. Seriously, save your money and keep chief's Simmons.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Diver43 said:

Thank You
    I never gave a fixed power a thought
    Now I have even more to look at tomorrow

You are welcome

Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Diver43 said:
    snake284 said:

At the shoot a couple years ago we had the shoot a coke can at 100 yards.  CPJ hit it on the first shot, it took me a couple trys but once i got it.  BigDan supplied a brick of 22 ammo as he said it couldnt be done.  Fishead made a pop can sized target, Dan gave me the ammo since he didnt make it and CPJ won.  Now I think about it, none of them are around anymore.........

As a gift from out late friend, I will always keep the scope, but I just want something with a higher magnification for making holes real close to each other

I gotcha, I've progressed from 3-9s to 4-12s with age although when hunting I usually set that 4-12 on 4 when I get in the blind. The last deer I shot in December, 2017, I had my 4-12x40 Leupold VX-2 set on 4x mainly because it was a 50 yard chip shot. But if it had been 100 or more yards I would have probably cranked up the power. At the range sighting in I've usually got it at 8X or so and take a couple shots at top power level after I've got it where I think I want it.
    Diver43 said:
    snake284 said:

cpj and I used to knock heads on here pretty regular, until I got around him a little more. The dude is very talented and a hell of a shot. He's the real deal. Does he ever come around here anymore?
    snake284 said:
    Diver43 said:
    snake284 said:

cpj and I used to knock heads on here pretty regular, until I got around him a little more. The dude is very talented and a hell of a shot. He's the real deal. Does he ever come around here anymore?
    CPJ has not posted on here in some time
    Diver43 said:
    snake284 said:
    Diver43 said:
    snake284 said:

CPJ has not posted on here in some time

I know, where did he go?