Home Main Category Hunting

I discovered something disturbing while browsing Google!

2»

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,664 Senior Member
    Apparently, McDonald's buys a lot of Holstein steers...makes sense since they aren't good for much of anything else other than burger...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,539 Senior Member
    I like Holstein and Hereford steaks and roasts better than Angus, younger stock of course, Angus just tastes gamey to me, which I don't necessarily mind, but I like the others better. Most dairy farmers will happily sell you hamburger at 1/2 the store price right now.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 895 Senior Member
    it then sounds like meat processors and feedlots aren't gouging in foreign beef-producing nations as in America. Much of that cheap, lean hamburger I buy is raised on mostly if not all grass so grain is out of the equation mostly if not altogether. Australia must have a huge supply of cheap grass. Is grazing and watering beef still more costly in America than to graze it and water it in some other country? California farmers and ranchers have a lot of trouble keeping crops and stock watered during droughts and droughts have forced some out of business altogether. Think of the notorious drought of CA just last decade. 

Argh, I hate the quote feature.

NZ exports 85% of its Beef, ungraded rump steak (graded meat domestically is nearly unknown) averages $7.47-9.33 USD per KG or $3.38-4.23 per pound, median income is $32000 USD.

Australia is of such a size that many intelligent people from elsewhere have a hard time imagining it. 
    Anna Creek Station (Ranch) is 9,300 square miles, biggest grazing operation in the world
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_largest_stations_in_Australia
    The link above is a list of 49 properties that exceed America's largest ranch (2,300 square miles), some of these are sheep properties but you get the idea. 
    A Californian drought is typical of weather in a lot of of Australia, the massive acreage tempers it somewhat.

Is it cheaper to raise beef in other countries than America?
    I don't know for sure but I would imagine so.

• AlleyCatAlleyCat Posts: 480 Member
    edited June 2020 #35

waipapa13 said:

Argh, I hate the quote feature.

NZ exports 85% of its Beef, ungraded rump steak (graded meat domestically is nearly unknown) averages $7.47-9.33 USD per KG or $3.38-4.23 per pound, median income is $32000 USD.

Australia is of such a size that many intelligent people from elsewhere have a hard time imagining it. 
    Anna Creek Station (Ranch) is 9,300 square miles, biggest grazing operation in the world
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_largest_stations_in_Australia
    The link above is a list of 49 properties that exceed America's largest ranch (2,300 square miles), some of these are sheep properties but you get the idea. 
    A Californian drought is typical of weather in a lot of of Australia, the massive acreage tempers it somewhat.

Is it cheaper to raise beef in other countries than America?
    I don't know for sure but I would imagine so.

A very interesting take.

Big place Australia and not just for prime beef,eh!  :#

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Well, supermarkets make a profit, big meat processors make a profit, the feedlots make a profit, the sale barn makes a profit, and the rancher/cattleman/small farmer HOPES that they make a little profit.
    So, to cut out those middlemen, but a steer of your chosen breed from a farmer/cattleman, have it hauled to a custom processor, have it cut to your specifications, and save a little money, maybe.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    My son, who lives in Tucson, called me last night.  He was cooking a beef brisket.  He told me had gained access to a wholesale grocery market.  It's the sort of place that  restaurants and grocers buy from.

He had bought a 20 lb. brisket for $42.  I told him he didn't buy it, he stole it.  It had already been marked with a retail price of $178.

So, someone tell me who's making money, and who's not.

Please.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
This discussion has been closed.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement