Home Main Category General Firearms

1911 Aficionados Step Inside Please....Advice Needed

2»

Replies

• AxeAxe Member Posts: 421 Member
    I would recommend a Kimber 1911 any day. Unfortunately he wants a 1911, and like anything else, you get what you pay for. I paid about $700 for my Kimber Custom II over 10 years ago, and for a bare bones 1911, it has been a daily carry pistol, target pistol and my hunting sidearm. I love that pistol. 
    Rock Island makes nice lower end 1911’s, but in all honesty for a 1911, he will be hard pressed to find a good one for $500. I’d suggest a Sig Sp2022 or another polymer for less than the $500 mark. The 1911’s are not ideal for new shooters to use as a ccw pistol especially being carried cocked and locked. That’s a whole new discipline.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,422 Senior Member
    Axe said:
    I would recommend a Kimber 1911 any day. Unfortunately he wants a 1911, and like anything else, you get what you pay for. I paid about $700 for my Kimber Custom II over 10 years ago, and for a bare bones 1911, it has been a daily carry pistol, target pistol and my hunting sidearm. I love that pistol. 
    Rock Island makes nice lower end 1911’s, but in all honesty for a 1911, he will be hard pressed to find a good one for $500. I’d suggest a Sig Sp2022 or another polymer for less than the $500 mark. The 1911’s are not ideal for new shooters to use as a ccw pistol especially being carried cocked and locked. That’s a whole new discipline.
    Or old discipline, however you want to look at it. Carrying a 1911 is no different than carrying a bolt action rifle with a round in the chamber and the safety on, its cocked and locked.....
    life is a “brain on function.”  If you are not willing to learn about the weapon you carry I’d rather He carry a really loud whistle. He wants a 1911,  we’ll get one. There is no reason he can’t learn how to be safe with one. I had a colt 1991 when I was a senior in high school, and managed to live to tell the tale. My dad was a firearms instructor for years. I had safety drilled into me. When I entered the police academy I used my Colt 1991 to qualify. The instructors loved me, “we don’t have to watch you” 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,825 Senior Member
    Here is a gun I ran across on guns.com that I have heard mentioned before but do not know anything about.  Can someone educate me, good, bad, indifferent?

I have a Firestar in 40S&W that I like just fine. Kind of heavy being all steel. Shoots good and is reasonably accurate in my hands. My only complaint would be it’s very fickle about hand loads, they will sometimes prevent it from going into battery. Never happens with factory ammo though.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    I wondered if anyone was going to answer the Star question.

Ive not owned one, but they appear to have a bit of an unsung rep for decent quality.
    Spk said:

One more thing, if you're gonna buy used -- gun store, know the guarantee and return policy. Ask the shoot it, if that's possible. Too many dang armchair experimentalist (I refuse to call them armchair gunsmiths). Anyway, they buy a gun, make it better (actually destroy, can't fix it) then sell it cause it sucks. Buyer beware.

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,288 Senior Member
    edited May 30 #37
    GunNut said:

I’m with brother Slug.  Never understood why folks think this is complicated...  Plus there’s the added advantage of not shooting your ass or nuts if you screw up and leave your finger on the trigger while reholstering 😁
    Disagree :) it is possible.
    Familiarity breeds contempt.

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,286 Senior Member
    GunNut said:

I’m with brother Slug.  Never understood why folks think this is complicated...  Plus there’s the added advantage of not shooting your ass or nuts if you screw up and leave your finger on the trigger while reholstering 😁
    Disagree :) it is possible.

I meant not if the safety is on the 1911.  
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,071 Senior Member
    Well, he was all set to buy a RIA full size 1911 today and discovered that since he is in Alabama but has a Florida driver license he can't buy it.  So, now when he comes back to Florida at the end of June I will be taking him shopping.  That will be good, because I will take him to the range first and let him shoot a few other options.  I told him that he needed something smaller than a full size 1911 for carry but he could always get one of those as well to play with at the range.  Yes, being a member here has turned me into an enabler.  :D
    Seems like a full size 1911 might be a challenge for EDC in the hot south. I see mine as a woods, truck or cold weather gun.
  • N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 537 Senior Member
    Axe said:
    I’d put my RIA up against a Kimber any day. Kimber and Glock and a few others when you buy one you get to help pay for the 27 full page ads they run per magazine. 

As far as a full size 1911 as a carry gun, the only time I carry mine is when I am in an open carry situation, such as hiking or fishing or some such activity. 
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,763 Senior Member
    Strange...whether is a full size or my Commander, I have no issues carrying it concealed year round. During the summer I wear a t-shirt with an untucked shirt over it. 
    One thing that helped manage the weight was the fact that I started wearing a set of sturdy suspenders....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,861 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Strange...whether is a full size or my Commander, I have no issues carrying it concealed year round. During the summer I wear a t-shirt with an untucked shirt over it. 
    One thing that helped manage the weight was the fact that I started wearing a set of sturdy suspenders....
    I carry a full size 1911 almost year round. Just dress for the occasion (untucked shirts). Sometimes I need something smaller. When that happens I want something much smaller like a g43, M&P Shield or along those lines. I've never had an issue with the weight.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,071 Senior Member
    I am working on steering him to something smaller, but carrying full-size comes down to if you want to badly enough, you can find a way.  Most of the time I carry a 3" S&W 686 Plus.  I would say that is every bit as challenging as carrying a full-size 1911 in the South.  It is all in how you are willing to dress.  Most of the time I wear a bass fishing shirt un-tucked with the 686 in an OWB Kydex holster and nobody has a clue.  The shirt is lightweight and designed for hot weather.  But because it is not always convenient to dress like that I also have an M&P Shield 9 with OWB and IWB options.  He is complaining that his hands are too big for the compact pistols but I also have big hands and can show him how to mitigate that issue on some of the smaller handguns.  Magazine choice can make an amazing difference.  For example, here is my Shield with the factory 7 round flush magazine, the factory 8 round extended magazine and a factory 7 round magazine with a +2 conversion kit turning it into a 9 round magazine.  The 9 rounder is a perfect fit for my meat hooks and with +1 in the chamber gives me a Shield with a 10 round capacity.

I wish someone would tell Breamfisher how difficult it is to conceal carry a full sized 1911 in Florida.  That way I could buy back from him the Colt Series 70 Government I sold to him that he carries year round.   He only got that gun cause I was annoyed he didn’t own a 1911 and he played a Jedi mind trick on me.  Next I know it’s his EDC which he carries IWB under a T-shirt.

Today it was very hot here and I was carrying my Kimber ProTactical AIWB with just a collared knit shirt over it.  I like the 4” for appendix carry because it keeps the muzzle away from the family jewels when I sit.  You can say it gives me a little extra ballroom...  😁

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 422 Member
    Rock Island if a 1911 is his final decision I would rank my R.I. against my other 1911s Colt ,Sig, Springfield, Para, Ruger, and Kimber it is no better or worse than any of them and none of them is better than it
  • N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 537 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    I wish someone would tell Breamfisher how difficult it is to conceal carry a full sized 1911 in Florida.  That way I could buy back from him the Colt Series 70 Government I sold to him that he carries year round.   He only got that gun cause I was annoyed he didn’t own a 1911 and he played a Jedi mind trick on me.  Next I know it’s his EDC which he carries IWB under a T-shirt.

Today it was very hot here and I was carrying my Kimber ProTactical AIWB with just a collared knit shirt over it.  I like the 4” for appendix carry because it keeps the muzzle away from the family jewels when I sit.  You can say it gives me a little extra ballroom...  😁
    I never said it couldn’t be done I just said I personally prefer a different gun. 

If I do carry a 1911 concealed it’s an IWB holster and usually a Columbia fishing shirt easy as can be. Just don’t prefer it. 
    GunNut said:

I never said it couldn’t be done I just said I personally prefer a different gun. 

If I do carry a 1911 concealed it’s an IWB holster and usually a Columbia fishing shirt easy as can be. Just don’t prefer it. 
    I understand.  My full sized 1911s are the least carried of my guns.  Bream is an exception to the rule.  I just wanted to point out that it’s not that it can’t be done, more like few folks will because they find other options more comfortable in hot weather.

Mine pulls my pants down. Sinks my feet into the pavement. Requires me to rent a forklift to exit my vehicle. Prints through my heavy down coat like a cinder block in my pocket. I can't draw it without a block & tackle. My car even took on a port list. ;)
    Mine pulls my pants down. Sinks my feet into the pavement. Requires me to rent a forklift to exit my vehicle. Prints through my heavy down coat like a cinder block in my pocket. I can't draw it without a block & tackle. My car even took on a port list. ;)
    Buy a set of Dickies heavy duty suspenders and that particular problem is solved.

I wear a OWB holster based on the Galco Combat Master that rides high on the belt with a forward cant...
    Im just injecting some levity. Like we used to do in the old days. 

Mine carries fine in the OWB pancake I have. Im not really an aficionado and prefer a small revolver, but there are times when the slabside Colt has been a comfort.
    edited June 1 #52
    Since my butt disappeared, mine really was pulling my pants down...and causing sciatic pain as well....so the struggle is real :)
    Jayhawker said:
    Since my butt disappeared, mine really was pulling my pants down...and causing sciatic pain as well....so the problem is real :)
    Just for you Jay, butt implants! Problem solved.
    😁
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

GunNut said:

I like the 4” for appendix carry because it keeps the muzzle away from the family jewels when I sit.  You can say it gives me a little extra ballroom...  😁
    Ballroom dancer, I see... 🤣

Spk said:
    GunNut said:

I like the 4” for appendix carry because it keeps the muzzle away from the family jewels when I sit.  You can say it gives me a little extra ballroom...  😁
    Ballroom dancer, I see... 🤣
    You could say that 🤣🤣

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,430 Senior Member
    This is from the current Bass Pro ad:
     https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/kimber-stainless-lw-semi-auto-pistol

If I was in the market I would be all over that at $599.99, .45 or 9mm!
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    I've always felt that training a new shooter is better with a sidearm that has a manual safety.  It keeps the word at the forefront of thought and gives you plenty of opportunity to stress safe handling practices.  Eventually people can migrate to guns with no manual safety, and they already have the safe handling habits ingrained.  
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    CHIRO1989 said:
    This is from the current Bass Pro ad:
     https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/kimber-stainless-lw-semi-auto-pistol

If I was in the market I would be all over that at $599.99, .45 or 9mm!
    That just might be my first 9mm 1911!

bobbyrlf3 said:
    I've always felt that training a new shooter is better with a sidearm that has a manual safety.  It keeps the word at the forefront of thought and gives you plenty of opportunity to stress safe handling practices.  Eventually people can migrate to guns with no manual safety, and they already have the safe handling habits ingrained.  
    Just brought a new shooter into the fold today.  In about two hours I had him shooting a Kimber 1911 effectively and safely and all shots went exactly where they mattered at 10 yards or less.  I’ll be working with him over the next few months and I gave him a ton of exercises to do at home.  We tried 4 different SD guns on him and let him pick his own.  Kimber 1911 Pro (commander size) was his pick.