Home Main Category General Firearms

.38 Spl - Load Work & Testing

12346»

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,879 Senior Member
    FYI, In new Starline 357 Mag cases, the long ones DO fit in a S&W 686 cylinder
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,562 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    Thanks guys. I pulled the Bullets. 

What load should I start with?
    How the hell did you pull the flush seated ones?
    Kinetic 
    Do you recover the powder when you do that?
    With rifles cartridges, I do. There was so little pistol powder........I didn’t worry about it. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,301 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    Thanks guys. I pulled the Bullets. 

What load should I start with?
    How the hell did you pull the flush seated ones?
    Kinetic 
    Do you recover the powder when you do that?
    With rifles cartridges, I do. There was so little pistol powder........I didn’t worry about it. 
    Ok, that makes sense.  Thanks!

Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,319 Senior Member
    edited July 28 #155
    I'm no help fore SD loads I use factory ammo.  Carry a .38SPL as my primary.  I expect IF I had to use it it would be a short distance shot.  Factory +P SD ammo Hornady or Federal.

I should clarify that using factory/commercial ammo in my CC guns is also about not being challenged that I "made and extra lethal load" to insure bodily injury or death.  As I'm sure some attorney/DA would attempt to show as 'intent' of some kind.
    knitepoet said:

I know it's been a while since I posted the ammo. Finally getting my stuff together to go test them. 
    Watch this space for results in a few hours 
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,863 Senior Member
    Looking forward to it. Go test already, collect as much data as possible including velocity.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

These 2 are from the 4"  Left is 6.0gr of unique, seated "zee height"  (seated flush) MV was 1108 from the 4"
    On the right is 17.0 of  Li'L gun, seated long and they had a MV of 1250fps. Both dented the side of a fourth just and the faster one BARELY made it into #4

Same pic, with the addition of the Li'l gun load from the 6" on the top center. MV 1290fps. It made it into the 4th jug. The 6.0 unique load, from the 6" made it out of jug #3, dented and bounced off #4 and headed off to parts unknown

Here are the test platforms. Both 686-3's
    The 6" has been D&T'd for the scope base

Accuracy, from 10 paces. Li'l gun from scoped 6" was a ~5" group.
    Unigue load from the iron sighted 4" was ~3"

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,863 Senior Member
    edited August 2 #160
    I'm impressed with the terminal performance. I kinda expected more petal shearing and loss of bullet weight but they held together really well.
    I'm a little let down on the accuracy. Assuming you don't have a really long stride, 10 paces isn't too far. 5 inch groups, 3 inch groups. Any ideas why this could have happened? Shooter error or do you believe it's just the bullet?
    Still, at bedroom distances, it would make a reasonable round. But I certainly would want to to see better accuracy.

Great info Knite. Thx. 👍
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

edited August 2 #161
    Since the 6" has been tuned, coned, cylinder squared, and a detent added to the crane, I have to put it on the bullet.

Since they were experimental loads, I trickled and weighed each charge. I will say, at that distance, I probably had some parallax error in the scope which might be why the iron sighted one shot better

Since these bullets were sold as "seconds", something wonky in the manufacturing hurting accuracy could be why they sold them instead of loading them. Otherwise, they could have probably made more $$ selling them in loaded ammo instead

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Being light in the nose might be more novel than practical?

Still pretty good for factory second bullets .
    Since 1K was my target velocity with unique, I'll probably load some at 5.5gr of unique and see what they do, though the 1100fps seemed to work well enough that I might just load up 40 more and call it good

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,562 Senior Member
    The lack of accuracy has been my consternation as well. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith