Home Main Category Clubhouse

Favorite Pocket knives

1hogfan831hogfan83 MemberPosts: 347 Member
I’ve been carrying a Benchmade Minigriptilian D2 in my pocket but I send it off every 2 years or so to benchmade to let them sharpen it because basically I suck at sharpening knives.  I have a pretty decent collection of knives, Old Timers, Spiderco, and a shoe box full but I keep going back to my MiniGriptillian.  Perfect size for my smaller girly hands. I’m thinking about the Ontario Rat 2.  It can be had in D2 for a reasonable price point.  I was wondering if anyone else had one or experience with one.  
"Well he shoulda armed him self" William Munney-Unforgiven"
"You believe there is one God, that is good, even the demons believe and shudder in fear" James 2:19

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    I do not really have one------I let the terrain and the situation determine what I put in my pocket. I lean toward Remington and Boker. 
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,551 Senior Member
    Boker, CRKT, and Benchmade all rotate through my EDC.
  • 2Aman2Aman Member Posts: 332 Member
    I carry either of these, Kershaw Blur or Spyderco Endura. Love them both. 
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,118 Senior Member
    When I was doing ranch work,an Old Timer Ranch Hand was my constant companion...the thing has a good pick that actually works!

Now that part of my life is behind me, my daily carry knife is an Ontario RAT1 folder...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,749 Senior Member
    Case Trapper. I like them so much I occasionally buy one just in case I lose one. I think I have 8 or 9 currently. Two of them are what I consider collectable. One I picked up at a gunshow after passing on its twin 3 years earlier. Regretted that move, so when I saw another I grabbed it. Those two are the only like it I've ever seen. Kind of a blue/white mother of pearl looking affair and it's the only thing I've bought in my life simply because it was "pretty".

The other is a rosewood handled Trapper. Sounds common enough, but try finding one without a serrated blade. Took me almost a decade to find one. 

I don't carry either, they're too rare. The old yellow handled Trapper is my "don't leave home without it "EDC.

I have a BenchMade 710 Axis-Lock (discontinued) I bought in '97 that I love, but like most BenchMade knives it's bigger than what I prefer for actual pocket carry. But, it holds an edge like nothing else. You can split a half dozen deer sternums with it, and it's still good for a half dozen more. That is performance.

Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    I actually have a modern one that's my favorite.

• DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
    Don't really have a particular favorite but I usually have on hand my old Swiss Army Fisherman.  
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,541 Senior Member
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,575 Senior Member
    I've got a couple I EDC, a Gerber lightweight, very handy 2 1/2" blade and a Fallkniven FH9.  I lose pocket knives, but so far, I've held on to these for a few years.  got a Sodbuster with a yellow handle in my patch box and a Parker-Frost canoe I inherited from my brother 33 years ago, used but not overused.  My brother loved pocket knives, the P-H was his carry knife,
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • 1hogfan831hogfan83 Member Posts: 347 Member
    Does your Blur keep a pretty good edge?  
    "You believe there is one God, that is good, even the demons believe and shudder in fear" James 2:19
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    1hogfan83 said:
    Does your Blur keep a pretty good edge?  
    Mine does!  Or used to.  My son appropriated it last time he visited...
    Yes, the Blur keeps a great edge👍
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,204 Senior Member

Pretty much this one with the more traditional scales and tweezers and corkscrew, I don't see mine on the website any more.

I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,327 Senior Member
    Recently put my big Benchmade Griptilian in reserve favor of a thinner & lighter Benchmade Bug Out as my EDC.  Prior to that was a long line of Spyderco Enduras.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 915 Senior Member
    W.R Case large stockman and a peanut, both carbon steel blades and yellow delrin, the stockman sees the lions share of use, lives in my pocket wrapped in my hanky to keep it put.

I'm on the look out for a Case two blade Barlow in yellow CV, wish they'd bring it back into full production.
    For you Case guys. I found this old lady burried in the dirt under my house well working down there. I cleaned it up, put an edge on it and gave it tool bag duty in the truck. Other than looking old and tired, it still gives service and will surely outlast me and keep on trucking for the next keeper...

edited June 2020 #18
    I never could get behind Spyderco, they’re just so......fugly.  I’ll have to take a look at the Bugout, sounds familiar but I just can’t put a face to it.  I do like to carry a Swiss Army Classic on my key ring, smallest one they make with scissors.  Very very handy but the blade steel is junk but I carry another knife for cutting.  I’m just in the knife buying mood I guess.    :)
    For you Case guys. I found this old lady burried in the dirt under my house well working down there. I cleaned it up, put an edge on it and gave it tool bag duty in the truck. Other than looking old and tired, it still gives service and will surely outlast me and keep on trucking for the next keeper...

That one has a familiar look to it.

Haha I’ve seen farriers tools in better shape.  Looks like they earned their keep.  
    You're going to need more pockets Sako.... :)
    edited June 2020 #22
    Some inherited, some found, some purchased but all used and some abused. i just seem to keep collecting them. 
    The yellow handled fishing knife was the first I ever owned and it was found while fishing along a Colorado creek at about 8 years old as I recall.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,664 Senior Member
    I have a Kershaw Leek that I EDC, but it does not get used..... Ever. It must stay sharp sharp....

What i actually use every day..... Gerber EAB

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Doves_IndefinitelyDoves_Indefinitely Posts: 126 Member
    edited June 2020 #24
    Victorinox SwissTool, with pliers, much better than a Leatherman. SwissTool X-30327N
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    For every day use, I'll take a Swiss army knife, Captain model.  I find the toothpick particularly useful.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    I break out pocket knives in two categories.  SD knives and salami slicers...

I have several good SD pocket knives but this Kershaw (bottom) seems to get a lot of pocket time.  I practiced with it enough to guarantee opening when I draw and it’s lightning fast.  It never gets used for knife chores.  For that I carry other knives like one of these 3 favorites.  I like stag and bone, no surprise for the folks here.  I also favor old “Made in USA” vintage Remingtons.  The 3 bigger ones are limited editions of the knives with the sterling silver bullets.  The two big guys are 5” closed.  They all take on wicked edges.  The little guy is a Remington peanut that has been with me since the 80s.  The handle is regular Remington delving and it’s razor sharp.

I do like the Kershaw on bottom with small lip.  
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,032 Senior Member
    For years i carried Gerber brass and rosewood lock backs, about 2004 a good friend whose a deputy sheriff in Clear Creek Co. Colorado gave me an assisted open knife with a seat belt cutter and window punch, It has " Clear Creek County Sheriffs Office" medallion in the handle, all the Deputy sheriffs carry one Made by "Premier" well made and holds a good edge. 

My favorite is a Les Vorrhies custom folder 154CM, desert ironwood scales, file work on the blade

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,464 Senior Member
    I typically carry Kershaw and Benchmade. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Case Trapper.  Small, simple, relatively light.  No, it won't do any heavy lifting, but it handle uniform "de-cabling" detail and small cutting tasks with ease and holds an edge, no problem.  Easy to touch up when needed.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.