Home Main Category Hunting

I can truly appreciate the value of meat hunting and freezer stocking.

Doves_IndefinitelyDoves_Indefinitely Posts: 126 Member
edited June 2020 in Hunting #1
There is a big beef shortage in America now. A second wave since about March/April. Walmart meat section almost empty again though the toilet paper aisle is fairly full now. 

What's slowing down delivery of beef? Many pork products are out too. Only spare ribs at Walmart and no pork chops.  

I normally buy lean wally-world ground beef but they were plum out yesterday. They had some corned beef and I grabbed two. I will be having corned beef sandwiches and I seldom ever buy corned beef. I have to get my cow protein somehow. They have plenty of chicken and deli meats. Is wild venison as hearty and as satiating as beef? 

I don't believe that hunting for meat is no longer needed in modern times. This pandemic is proof positive of this. 

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,505 Senior Member
    edited June 2020 #2
    I haven’t bought beef in about 30 years.
     I just picked up103 lbs of pork from my meat processor in town today that was processed from a feral pig I killed. 
    My freezer stays stocked with Dove, quail, duck, whitetail, Axis, Blackbuck, feral pig and other exotics. The only meat I buy is occasional fish and poultry. 

It pays to be a hunter. 
    Hell, I had wildebeest and waterbuck the other day from a friend. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    I gave away several deer to friends this past season and I give pigs away on a regular basis. 
  • Doves_IndefinitelyDoves_Indefinitely Posts: 126 Member
    My body needs proteins specifically with beef (or some other red meat just as hearty) as a source otherwise I feel very weak. Some people can't live on rabbit alone: their body will be starved of certain proteins. Wild oxen, bison, buffalo should provide as much protein value as domestic beef, shouldn't it? I once bought some ground buffalo from a store and didn't like it. 

I wonder if even antelope or deer has the same level of protein gumption as beef. The American Indian warriors were strong as an ox and they never consumed domestic beef. 
    edited June 2020 #5
    You’re an odd duck. That’s for sure. 

Odd threads. Odd posts. Verbose. Always seem to have an agenda. 

Not bad. Just......odd. 

Are you a member of any other forums?  Or is this your first foray into the wild, wild, world of the Interweb?

Your verbalizations, mannerisms, and general interaction with people seems rather idiosyncratic. 

Not running you off. Just trying to better understand that which is.......you. So maybe we can better interact. 
    edited June 2020 #6
    Zee said:

Not bad. Just......odd. 

Are you a member of any other forums?  Or is this your first foray into the wild, wild, world of the Interweb?

Your verbalizations, mannerisms, and general interaction with people seems rather idiosyncratic. 

Not running you off. Just trying to better understand that which is.......you. So maybe we can better interact. 
    No, Mister, I have serious health problems. Maybe you don't believe me when I say I don't feel well without beef in my diet. I have a college degree and that's why I'm verbose. I'm an educated man. If you don't understand my threads, please leave them alone.

The bottom line, Zee:

"I want to know if venison is good substitute for beef."

Does this language sound like it comes from outer space somewhere?  

I came here to G&A to seriously learn something, not get beat up. 
    edited June 2020 #7
    (You edited most of your post above after the fact.)

Someone you’re trying to interact with. 

Did you miss the last paragraph?
    edited June 2020 #8
    OK, let's all lower our thermostats and try to get along. Did you go to college, Zee? 
    I have not died from eating only venison. So, unless I’m an anomaly........
    OK, let's all lower our thermostats and try to get along. Did you go to college, Zee? 
    I'm not trying to interact with any individual whatsoever. Everybody is equally welcome to join in. 
    Did you go to college, Zee? 
    Yes. 
    I'm not trying to interact with any individual whatsoever. Everybody is equally welcome to join in. 
    Including me?
    edited June 2020 #13
    Zee said:
    Including me?
    Yes, sir. What don't you really understand about my thread here and maybe I can try to clarify. How do I get your goat? 
    You don’t get any goats.  Goats don’t taste as good as venison. I was just trying to help you help yourself.  

You know, better interaction with the forum members you are trying to.......interact with. Just trying to help. 
    Zee said:
    I have not died from eating only venison. So, unless I’m an anomaly........
    Ok, we're getting somewhere. I thought some person here might be an expert on nutrition. I wouldn't know if my own body would handle a diet of venison as the only meat source. I'd have to try it first. Everybody is different. It might get me by temporarily if there were no beef at all. Normally, I like to mix beef, pork, chicken, fish and lamb in my diet. Lamb is too expensive per pound for me to have too often. 
    edited June 2020 #16
    Zee said:

Not bad. Just......odd. 

I'm glad to know I'm an odd person instead of an evil one. Abraham Lincoln and Henry David Thoreau were said to be out there too. I've been posting stuff on the Web for 15 years straight now. When I get bored with one site I move on to another. 
    edited June 2020 #17
    Whitetail is my least favorite of wild game. 
    In your state, pig and exotic are considerably better than whitetail. If/When, I eat whitetail, I like to mix it with feral hog (unless eating backstraps) as the pig tends to add a juicer flavor to the typically much leaner whitetail of your State. 
    Expand your horizons. 

I’ll eat anything at least once. 

Dog
    Cat
    Horse
    Rat
    Bugs
    Plants

It’s all good as long and you cook worth a damn. 
    The guys are gonna wake up and wonder what the Hell happened while they slept. 

Ha!

You certainly entertain. 
    edited June 2020 #20
    Zee said:
    Whitetail is my least favorite of wild game. 
    In your state, pig and exotic are considerably better than whitetail. If/When, I eat whitetail, I like to mix it with feral hog (unless eating backstraps) as the pig tends to add a juicer flavor to the typically much leaner whitetail of your State. 
    Normally, the beef I eat is 7% fat and I can get by with that amount of leanness. I'm also trying to avoid excess fat. If I were to go after whitetail, it would be strictly does and never bucks for supposedly better-tasting meat.  Lean meat for me would have to likely be doctored in some way or have something poured over it like sauce or gravy to make it edible. Deer is supposed to be good when ground as sausage. I think it's spiced as well. 
    I’ve never noticed a taste difference in buck/doe. 

When I grind whitetail (which I do to all but the backstraps), I add 3% beef fat to add a bit of moisture and flavor. I keep my ground rather lean. But, whitetail......having little to no body fat.....needs a little help. 
    Typically, when I make burgers, spaghetti, lasagna, or anything that takes ground meat, I run at a ratio of 2/1. 
    Two pounds of venison to 1 pound of pork. Seems to work out to a flavorful ratio. 
  • AlleyCatAlleyCat Posts: 384 Member
    Zee said:
    Dove went hunting.

AlleyCat said:
    Zee said:
    Dove went hunting.

Apparently.........not yet. 
    Mixing in pork sounds good. But there seems to be a shortage of pork as well except for deli ham and spare ribs. I buy deli ham for breakfast instead od sausage and bacon coz it's 97% fat free and much cheaper pound per pound than bacon. Ground venison might be a good substitute for lean beef as in stroganoff and pasta meat sauces. When grilled as venison steaks it might need steak sauce. I need to try some venison if I can buy some somehwere. 
    Guess you need to take up hunting. 
    Zee said:
    Guess you need to take up hunting. 
    I better make sure I really like venison before taking up deer hunting. Oh, 20 years ago a roommate in ID I had gave me some elk sausage from her brother who was a hunter. It was really good fried with eggs. It was seasoned like pork sausage. 
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    edited June 2020 #28
    Zee said:

When I grind whitetail (which I do to all but the backstraps), I add 3% beef fat to add a bit of moisture and flavor. I keep my ground rather lean. But, whitetail......having little to no body fat.....needs a little help. 
    Yeah, I tried doing straight-meat grind with venison before.  Didn't work out too hot, neither in flavor nor ability to have a burger patty stay together on the grill worth a lick.

As for health issues related to venison vs. beef, the only one I know of that exists in my sphere is my mother-in-law's medical directive to not eat much, if any, venison.  She has a genetic liver disorder that makes managing iron intake critical to avoiding permanent liver damage.  She actually has to donate blood periodically to lower her overall hemoglobin count.  Venison has nearly 40% more iron than beef, so it's not a good idea for her to eat it more than very occasionally.  
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    :howtogetridofyourmotherinlaw:
    Six-Gun said:
    Zee said:

Yeah, I tried doing straight-meat grind with venison before.  Didn't work out too hot, neither in flavor nor ability to have a burger patty stay together on the grill worth a lick.

As for health issues related to venison vs. beef, the only one I know of that exists in my sphere is my mother-in-law's medical directive to not eat much, if any, venison.  She has a genetic liver disorder that makes managing iron intake critical to avoiding permanent liver damage.  She actually has to donate blood periodically to lower her overall hemoglobin count.  Venison has nearly 40% more iron than beef, so it's not a good idea for her to eat it more than very occasionally.  
    7% ground beef patties work out well on my George Foreman. Straight venison patties might work on the Foreman too: I'd have to try it. I get by with otherwise flavorless dry meat by using dried onion, garlic salt and black pepper as well as a ton of KC Masterpiece or generic A1 on top. The electric kitchen grill gets sprayed with PAM before heating it up. 
    edited June 2020 #31
    The cheap ground beef I buy at wally-world is imported from places like Australia, New Zealand, Mexico and Brazil. What's the excuse for there being all out of that at Walmart?

Did covid kill all the world's cows off?

That corned beef sandwich I just had this morning for breakfast was yummy, though!  Not good for somebody with weight control issues though. 
This discussion has been closed.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement