Home Main Category

Benchmade

2Aman2Aman MemberPosts: 332 Member
Hope this is the right place for this topic? The pocket knife thread has me thinking about trying a Benchmade Griptilian or Bugout. I have always known about their reputation for quality. Do any of you carry a benchmade, thoughts? Thanks. 

Replies

• 2Aman2Aman Member Posts: 332 Member
    Just ordered the Griptilian with the 20CV steel. 
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Bought a Benchmade Griptillian a while back.  Got to carry it around for a few months and loved the knife.  Son came to visit and he's now been carrying it for about 5 years after he decided he needed it more than me.  Funny that happens a lot with my stuff...

Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Ha, most of my best stuff came from Dad. He passed recently and it all means a little more now. Its a good thing, he is everywhere still. Gun safe, Tool Boxes, Truck, Junk drawer, everywhere. 👍
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    2Aman said:
    Ha, most of my best stuff came from Dad. He passed recently and it all means a little more now. Its a good thing, he is everywhere still. Gun safe, Tool Boxes, Truck, Junk drawer, everywhere. 👍
    Last time I went to visit my son I spent a lot of time asking "When did I give you that?" and him smiling...
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Guilty of that as well 😀
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,501 Senior Member
    The only BenchMade I own I bought 20 years ago, so I can't honestly speak to their current stuff, but my 710 Axis Lok is the highest quality knife I own and has the hardest knife steel I've ever encountered. Might take a while to sharpen, but it holds an edge for what seems like forever.

I'm pretty sure you'll be happy.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    That sounds great, long lasting is what I am looking for. I use a knife alot everyday so need a workhorse. 
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,311 Senior Member
    I have two benchmade knives, nether are the models your looking at but both are 15+ years old and going strong.
    Sounds good, my buddy is a fireman here and has had his over 20 years. Looking forward to getting one of my own. 👍 
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,841 Senior Member
    edited June 2020 #11
    I have quite a few Benchmade knives. Given to me from work. 

I just got another one last week. 

Oddly enough, I don’t carry a one of them. Either it’s the fear of losing/breaking a $300 knife, or they are too big or ergonomically incorrect. 

It’s weird, they are well made knives, minus a few issues I don’t like,  I just don’t want to use/carry. 

They all go in a box. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,841 Senior Member
    edited June 2020 #12
    Call me a knife snob of a different flavor. I don’t like fancy. I don’t  like expensive, I don’t like collectible. 

I like effective and useful. For that, I have a very narrow window. 

If I could walk around with a boning knife and not look like a psychopath.......I would. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,501 Senior Member
    Zee,

I agree about Benchmade. They are a bit big for what they do. I don't mind the ergos on mine, but it's not comfortable pocket carry unless using the pocket clip, which I'm not going to do with a $$$ knife. for pocket carry, I want an actual pocket knife, and a Case Trapper is as large as I'll go. Even it took a bit of getting used to at first after pocket carrying an Uncle Henry for years.

Mik
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Lt.Lt. New Member Posts: 66 Member
    2Aman said:
    Same here! Mine's been gone for quite a while, but is with me just about every day!
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,812 Senior Member
    I have had my 4" Griptilian for ten years or so, for pocket clip carry and hunting. I skinned and quartered two deer with it on the factory edge, before ever touching it with a steel or whetstone. Best I've had for holding an edge. I think it is a 454 CM, or something close to that. It's been in my pocket every day since I bought it.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,887 Senior Member
    My Griptillian has been all over the country with me for over a decade. Great blade. These days I alternate between that and a Benchmade Triage. 

I have a Bugout, but it's pretty flimsy IMO. Razor sharp though. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 900 Senior Member
    My Griptillian has been all over the country with me for over a decade. Great blade. These days I alternate between that and a Benchmade Triage. 

I have a Bugout, but it's pretty flimsy IMO. Razor sharp though. 
    I love my Triage.  It was a gift from my future SIL and it’s becoming a favorite EDC.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬